Liberty's twin rigger project - dual brushless outrigger RC boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's siiiiiiccccckkkkk!!!
I love wood boats. I have two barrel back Dumas SK Saddles that my dad built before I was born. Always wanted to build one of these. Maybe this coming winter project...

I have been really impressed with this kit. It has been fun to build!

Make sure you have a small opening going from one side to the other for the "y" cable for the esc's to your receiver. Sorry if you all ready know this.. And if you don't, one esc has to be the master and the other one the slave to work correctly. Cool build .

Andy Samberg GIF

I'm just being silly here....love to see that thing flying by at Shelby Farms big lake, Patriot Lake.... she is a beauty!

I went to check out Shelby Farms a few weeks ago. That is the planned spot to run this boat. Their website specifically mentions you can run RC boats there and can do kayaks etc there too.

I got a little time last night after the Mavs game to finish off the sponsons. I decided to round the leading edge in a different way than most people do it.

IMG20240518222945.jpg

There is something really enjoyable about wood working and a smooth sanded wood part 😘

A lot that you don't see but I'm sanding and getting everything ready for paint.
I did another mock up tonight just as motivation seeing it together helps me push on.

Next up will be building the stealth cowling to match the first one. I ordered some 3 ply birch from balsa USA. Seems to be very high quality wood.
My original on the left has fiberglass inside and the new one has carbon fiber.

IMG20240519230855.jpg

I also noticed on the original that the rear section of the motor mount epoxy/Jb-weld broke loose. Really glad I was able to see that before running it again.

Last edited:
A lot that you don't see but I'm sanding and getting everything ready for paint.
I did another mock up tonight just as motivation seeing it together helps me push on.

Next up will be building the stealth cowling to match the first one. I ordered some 3 ply birch from balsa USA. Seems to be very high quality wood.
My original on the left has fiberglass inside and the new one has carbon fiber.

View attachment 367481

I also noticed on the original that the rear section of the motor mount epoxy/Jb-weld broke loose. Really glad I was able to see that before running it again.
Interesting way of doing this for the hull. How's the bottom look? That seam running down the middle worries me a little may be for nothing. I like it

Interesting way of doing this for the hull. How's the bottom look? That seam running down the middle worries me a little may be for nothing. I like it
These riggers have a "ski" down the center, however with the high rake lifting props it's all out of the water. I like keeping it there to protect the tube.

IMG20240520170203.jpg

I started on the custom stealth cowl today. It will allow the tp4070 to fit as it sticks up above the deck.

I found that you can cut this 3 ply birch with a sharp razor blade/ box cutter. Very clean sharp edges cutting the wood this way! I like to over size it and then sand it down to fit. I also reduce it some so you don't have to fight to get the hach to fit into the groove.

It's tempting to get some shorter motors to have it fit like you see here, but I don't want to drop more $$$ into this boat and like the 4070 motors I have.

IMG20240521111900.jpg

Next is to transfer those white paper shapes to wood and epoxy it together.

So are you going to glue the 2 halves together and then use just the 2 carbon fiber tubes to help strengthen it?
I decided a combination of things... I want to be able to separate them should they need wood repairs.

The front two carbon tubes will help.
A single hefty bolt and nut with large washers at the rear near the servo between the hulls. Then some silicone that can hold them and seal the gap yet is not permanent.

That thing is insane and you sir have been in the boat business for a while and business is booming. I can’t wait to see that thing fly.
No business here and certainly no money in it, but I really enjoy it. Only been doing boats a few years but borrowed my motor and ESC knowledge from RC car speed running.

2years Liberty? Holy heck. I’m not even close to being that smart and knowledgeable that fast! But I definitely know I haven’t purchased my last boat. Im pretty sure I’ll get another one before another rig. Going to upgrade what I got! Some cool arse forum member gave me my first upgrade. A couple of badass brass props that’ll chop your damn fingers off if you’re not careful. Thanks again man.

A couple of badass brass props that’ll chop your damn fingers off if you’re not careful. Thanks again man.
Man.... I saw a picture where a guys arm got hit by the prop when he was tossing the boat into the water. It was bad!

Be careful and hope they run good for you!

Back