Servo advice please :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsJust Me

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a PM1373 Servo as a replacement for the Spektrum S6510 that came with my Kraton 8S EXB. I destroyed the stock servo when the servo saver flipped 180 degrees after a bump, jamming the servo saver to steering linkage (under the saver!) and burning our the stock servo.

A few questions, if anybody knows the answers:

1. Anybody running this exact servo in an 8S? How is it holding up?
  2. Anybody running this at BEC 8.4 volts, rather than switching the ESC down to BEC 6.0 volts to not exceed apparent 7.4 volt upper limit on PM1373?
  3. Other than a slower turn rate and lower torque for the servo, will anything else other than the servo be affected by a BEC of 6 volts?
  4. Is it a direct replacement fit? I have all the fittings from the old servo, along with a replacement servo saver (same saver as existing, just new)

I was going to bump an old thread, but the 'forum' told me to start a new one as the existing is old?

Just to add - chose this servo as it is cheap and meant to be tough - is that still the case?

Last edited:
I've just bought a PM1373 Servo as a replacement for the Spektrum S6510 that came with my Kraton 8S EXB. I destroyed the stock servo when the servo saver flipped 180 degrees after a bump, jamming the servo saver to steering linkage (under the saver!) and burning our the stock servo.

A few questions, if anybody knows the answers:

1. Anybody running this exact servo in an 8S? How is it holding up?
  2. Anybody running this at BEC 8.4 volts, rather than switching the ESC down to BEC 6.0 volts to not exceed apparent 7.4 volt upper limit on PM1373?
  3. Other than a slower turn rate and lower torque for the servo, will anything else other than the servo be affected by a BEC of 6 volts?
  4. Is it a direct replacement fit? I have all the fittings from the old servo, along with a replacement servo saver (same saver as existing, just new)

I was going to bump an old thread, but the 'forum' told me to start a new one as the existing is old?

Just to add - chose this servo as it is cheap and meant to be tough - is that still the case?
  • Anybody running this exact servo in an 8S? How is it holding up
8S or 2S doesn't matter, it's how you drive it that will make the difference. If you are hitting jumps at 50 mph and clearing trees, expect to break parts.
  • Anybody running this at BEC 8.4 volts, rather than switching the ESC down to BEC 6.0 volts to not exceed apparent 7.4 volt upper limit on PM1373?
The specs on the servo are 7.4V. Exceeding that will only lead to heartache and tears. If you want an 8.4V servo, buy a servo rated for 8.4V.
  • Other than a slower turn rate and lower torque for the servo, will anything else other than the servo be affected by a BEC of 6 volts?
No. It should operate exactly the same but slower and less torque.
  • Is it a direct replacement fit? I have all the fittings from the old servo, along with a replacement servo saver (same saver as existing, just new)
That can be a tricky question. The original Spektrum is 66mmx30mmx56mm and the Raminator is size is 65.8x30x57.4mm. So I would say there is a high probability of dropping in. However, sometimes there are features like bumps or fins on the case that can be in the way. But looking at it I suspect it will fit fine.
  • Just to add - chose this servo as it is cheap and meant to be tough - is that still the case?
Durability costs money, which means cheap and tough are opposites. If you want durable, all metal case, metal gears and waterproof are on the list.

• Anybody running this exact servo in an 8S? How is it holding up
8S or 2S doesn't matter, it's how you drive it that will make the difference. If you are hitting jumps at 50 mph and clearing trees, expect to break parts.
  • Anybody running this at BEC 8.4 volts, rather than switching the ESC down to BEC 6.0 volts to not exceed apparent 7.4 volt upper limit on PM1373?
The specs on the servo are 7.4V. Exceeding that will only lead to heartache and tears. If you want an 8.4V servo, buy a servo rated for 8.4V.
  • Other than a slower turn rate and lower torque for the servo, will anything else other than the servo be affected by a BEC of 6 volts?
No. It should operate exactly the same but slower and less torque.
  • Is it a direct replacement fit? I have all the fittings from the old servo, along with a replacement servo saver (same saver as existing, just new)
That can be a tricky question. The original Spektrum is 66mmx30mmx56mm and the Raminator is size is 65.8x30x57.4mm. So I would say there is a high probability of dropping in. However, sometimes there are features like bumps or fins on the case that can be in the way. But looking at it I suspect it will fit fine.
  • Just to add - chose this servo as it is cheap and meant to be tough - is that still the case?
Durability costs money, which means cheap and tough are opposites. If you want durable, all metal case, metal gears and waterproof are on the list.
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me! Pretty much as expected then really, it was the voltage I was most concerned about.

It's a shame, as the previous thread I linked indicated that 8.4 volts would probably not be an issue, just keep an eye on heat.

Anyway, thanks very much! I'm just looking for similar performance but tougher / cheaper replacement to stock :) If this proves to be it, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Back