Kraton Hw max 5 G2 pros and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chowmein

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Typhon 3s
I just replace my gen1 with the Gen 2 max 5 thoughts on getting another motor for the up grade or isy oral 800 KV is ok for the Gen 2 to run 12s possibly. Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on rhis

IMG_20240503_195051.jpg

It's a good esc but for some reason I can't get mine to run smooth in non sensor applications. Most 800kv motors are rated 12s I ran a castle 2028 800kv with the sensor adapter in a max5 g2 on 12s and it was nuts. Make sure your solder joints are good use QS8 connectors or some other anti spark connector that handle the load. Its a lot of volts, less amps yes but I fried a few sets when they started to work loose bashing so now I tape or zip tie the connectors before each run. I dabbled with a hobbystar 980 and could never get it to run right. I under geared it and turned off turbo timing as that seemed to cause guys some problems. IMO the 800kv is the go to with the g2 since its a 10 or 12s capable system, it really opens up gearing options since you gain back the rpms with more volts. In the end I went back to a xlx2 800kv as it had plenty of power and I love how smooth it is and instant reverse. The max5 g2 now powers my xrt with the 56118 1100kv

What gearing do u run. I do 37/39

How come HW's gn1's 800kv is only rated 6-8s

I run 37/39 with my g2 800kv and like it just fine. Punch is set to 4 and I’m sure I could make it more wild if I upped the punch, put an 39 tooth pinion on, and locked the center diff with ear plugs but I like how it responds as is. The con is that it’s heavy, esp with big brick high mAh batteries loaded up. I’m trying to figure out which direction to go with the suspension set up. IE stiffer springs and different shock fluid since I know what I have (stock 5mm shocks w/ 30wt F and 35wt rear) is too soft for this heavy beast.

What gearing do u run. I do 37/39

How come HW's gn1's 800kv is only rated 6-8s
37/39. Initially ran 39/39 killed a xlx2 and noticed it was really hard on batteries, I only run smc with QS8 now as the data logs showed some spikes of 450 plus amps. Geared down to 34/39, very reliable lots of power and low temps. I geared back up to 37/39 to get some wheel speed back for stunts. I live in socal its been great for temps, little more controllable than 39/39.

37/39. Initially ran 39/39 killed a xlx2 and noticed it was really hard on batteries, I only run smc with QS8 now as the data logs showed some spikes of 450 plus amps. Geared down to 34/39, very reliable lots of power and low temps. I geared back up to 37/39 to get some wheel speed back for stunts. I live in socal its been great for temps, little more controllable than 39/39.
How are your battery temps? I run SMC with 37/39 also and they get hotter than the motor and esc!

Back