Witness this... My Nero arrives Monday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I have been converting my RedCat TRMT8E into a Bird eating Spider. The MT is based on Team magics E6 HX III and the BES is the 6S version. I put on a Hobbywing Max8 Combo and got the BES wheels, Aluminum motor mount, extended wheelie bar, geared center diff and reinforced BES center dogbanes, 6S Spur. then my ESC blew...so I got another...then my rear diff blew...got another.....then my spur gear shaft broke.....arghhhh got a NERO BLX...couldnt take it more.... Arrives Monday..Got a T-Bone racing wide wheelie bar, a 277/oz CYS 9120 brushless servo and a fresh pair of ONYX 5400 50c 11.1v lipo batteries coming for that 6S trip to crazy town. I got into this stuff in December when I bought my 10 year old a RedCat Volcano.....I absolutely love the Nero - I remember when I first saw the raton and was very impressed. As I learn about diffs and basic design - I am so exited about the easy access to the 3 differentials. 6 screws and you are in front and back and the whole center piece that drops out is very nice. I love to tinker but I'd rather be out drivin and having fun..

TRMT8E MT
RedCat EarthQuake 8E
Traxxas Slash 4x4
RedCat Volcano
Traxxas Stampede
HPI Sprint 2 Flux BMW GT2

Last edited:
Awesome. ...when playing with the different locking drive train options...be sure to follow the suggestions in the manual...ie...not shifting sections at high speeds etc...maybe this should not even be done at slow speeds...but rather at a complete stop before changing diff lock options....there are also suggested driving speeds at each of the lock positions. ...blast at wide open...center lock at wide open (for the most part)..drift mode (center and rear locked) at slightly lower speeds..and crawl mode ( all locked) at slower speeds...all these identified in the side bar in tower hobbies fliers on the Nero page...

I guess these basic rules make sense. ..tolerance stack up..loose tolerances...inertial loads etc...i could see cases where shifting on the fly or at high speeds there could be a scenario where those pins may not line up ..and with such a small servo not engage properly..thus wrecking something....

I say ...go in and make those pins with a steep taper. ..then shifting on the fly may be an option...at slow off power speeds only..

not that it has occurred. ..but I wonder if some of the issues with broken pins and diff servo lever arm issues are due to shifting the diff lock options "on the fly"...or at high speeds...hmmmm...just a thought...

I have been converting my RedCat TRMT8E into a Bird eating Spider. The MT is based on Team magics E6 HX III and the BES is the 6S version. I put on a Hobbywing Max8 Combo and got the BES wheels, Aluminum motor mount, extended wheelie bar, geared center diff and reinforced BES center dogbanes, 6S Spur. then my ESC blew...so I got another...then my rear diff blew...got another.....then my spur gear shaft broke.....arghhhh got a NERO BLX...couldnt take it more.... Arrives Monday..Got a T-Bone racing wide wheelie bar, a 277/oz CYS 9120 brushless servo and a fresh pair of ONYX 5400 50c 11.1v LiPo batteries coming for that 6S trip to crazy town. I got into this stuff in December when I bought my 10 year old a RedCat Volcano.....I absolutely love the Nero - I remember when I first saw the raton and was very impressed. As I learn about diffs and basic design - I am so exited about the easy access to the 3 differentials. 6 screws and you are in front and back and the whole center piece that drops out is very nice. I love to tinker but I'd rather be out drivin and having fun..

TRMT8E MT
RedCat EarthQuake 8E
Traxxas Slash 4x4
RedCat Stampede
HPI Sprint 2 Flux BMW GT2
I have the same onyx batteries 5400mah 50c 3s and they are awesome. I want some bigger batteries but in time... i also got iinto this hobby in december an l am totally addicted... i started with a stampede 4x4 then an xmaxx a 1/18 ecx ruckus then a kraton and a nero a couple days later... my stampede started out as a xl5 upgraded to brushless then upgraded to a 2650kv motor and mm2 esc. Runs on 2s beacuse on 3s it is insane. I am super impressed with my arrmas. I got the nero with upgraded diffs that i had to install. These trucks are built in the coming weeks i will be posting my experiences and weak points. I have been launching my kraton...

Awesome. ...when playing with the different locking drive train options...be sure to follow the suggestions in the manual...ie...not shifting sections at high speeds etc...maybe this should not even be done at slow speeds...but rather at a complete stop before changing diff lock options....there are also suggested driving speeds at each of the lock positions. ...blast at wide open...center lock at wide open (for the most part)..drift mode (center and rear locked) at slightly lower speeds..and crawl mode ( all locked) at slower speeds...all these identified in the side bar in tower hobbies fliers on the Nero page...

I guess these basic rules make sense. ..tolerance stack up..loose tolerances...inertial loads etc...i could see cases where shifting on the fly or at high speeds there could be a scenario where those pins may not line up ..and with such a small servo not engage properly..thus wrecking something....

I say ...go in and make those pins with a steep taper. ..then shifting on the fly may be an option...at slow off power speeds only..

not that it has occurred. ..but I wonder if some of the issues with broken pins and diff servo lever arm issues are due to shifting the diff lock options "on the fly"...or at high speeds...hmmmm...just a thought...
I read too much about broken pins and locked servos remaining locked, etc. I got the green one and spent my extra money on a wheelie bar and upgraded servo. I can adjust the throttle settling for wheelies and I don't crawl - have a stampede and volcano for that. I drift with my HPI sprint 2 flux so I don't drift. The diff brain has some issues and what closed the deal for me was the ez access / ez maintenance to avoid lengthy repairs. On 6s - I can blast and wheelie all day long and that's all I want anyway. I have clocked my Bird Eating Spider at 64.5 mph in between constant repairs lol. I have a feeling I might match that with this bad boy.
The very first thing I will do while charging up the batteries will be add the wheelie bar and add the new servo. Cannot wait!!!!

I have the same onyx batteries 5400mah 50c 3s and they are awesome. I want some bigger batteries but in time... i also got iinto this hobby in december an l am totally addicted... i started with a stampede 4x4 then an xmaxx a 1/18 ecx ruckus then a kraton and a nero a couple days later... my stampede started out as a xl5 upgraded to brushless then upgraded to a 2650kv motor and mm2 esc. Runs on 2s beacuse on 3s it is insane. I am super impressed with my arrmas. I got the nero with upgraded diffs that i had to install. These trucks are built in the coming weeks i will be posting my experiences and weak points. I have been launching my kraton...
Yeah - I upgraded my Slash
Yeah - I upgraded the slash with a Sidewinder 3 combo and on 3S it basically takes off like a plane!

I have mostly been upgrading my other monster truck. Will get the shims for the geared center diff and also the spur shaft hopefully today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back