What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Squid R/C did a shootout on some different brand lipos. Best bang for buck was turnigy nano tech I believe. I have purchaced some zippy and nano techs from ebay before in the 20 to 40 dollar range and they're not bad running on my sidewinder 1/10 sc10 or the vxl 2wd slash but my slash 4x4 running hobbywing sct pro with 4000kv motor doesn't empty the pack, battery will get warm and esc hits thermal shutdown. It doesn't do this on a gensacearespammers, sky lipo, or the onyx I have.

What is the advantages or dis advantages between 3s1p and 3s2p ?
2P means two lipo cells linked in parallel.
This results in double capacity instead of higher voltage.
So 3S2P means 2 sets of 3 lipo cells linked in series (which means 3x the voltage of a single cell).

Basically two 3S1P packs put in one shell or casing.

In reality this means a bit more internal resistance (which is already very low for lipo's in general) due to the parallel wiring. In reality neglect able for bashing at least.

Most important is the real C rate, and not the burst rate. Some brands state (or make it look like) the BR as the continues rate, which is a bit of fraud...

...I have purchaced some zippy and nano techs from ebay before in the 20 to 40 dollar range and they're not bad running on my sidewinder 1/10 sc10 or the vxl 2wd slash but my slash 4x4 running hobbywing sct pro with 4000kv motor doesn't empty the pack, battery will get warm and esc hits thermal shutdown. It doesn't do this on a gensacearespammers, sky lipo, or the onyx I have.

That's the C-rate, which is limiting the power input of your Esc/motor.
A 4-pole (I presume?) 4000kV motor in a 4x4 configuration will ask a lot more direct current from your batteries. So could you have a look what the continues C-rate is of all the packs you mention?
I guess the zippy has less than 30C.

With such a set-up you will need at least 40C as a minimum, especially on 2S.
Run times for a 4x4 rig are shorter because of that reason. The price for better traction and easier handling ;)

I don't believe the zippy and nano tech batteries have an accurate "C" rating. One 5000 mah 30c, another is 5000mah 40c, and the turnigy is 5300mah 50-100c. Although the turnigy does run better and doesn't get as warm.

Did you try the power hobby lipos yet? How do they compare? I've bought alot of parts from them on ebay, but wondered about the new lipo line, I'm sure its a rebranded something, but what? They seem too cheap.

I don't believe the zippy and nano tech batteries have an accurate "C" rating. One 5000 mah 30c, another is 5000mah 40c, and the turnigy is 5300mah 50-100c. Although the turnigy does run better and doesn't get as warm...

I have my doubts too, and so do a lot of people online. And that can be questioned for a lot of lipo brands out there.

The same applies on the continues maximum current of ESC's. What's the truth?

Took my kraton out to the bmx track on the weekend....
Used redback racing 30-60c 2x2s 5000
And turnigy 30-40c 2x2s 5200

Maybe 1 min more run time out of the redbacks but they also ran a little hotter than the turnigy. Not really any speed difference either.
Redbacks 69aud and turnigy 35aud.
If the turnigys hold up over time i'll be getting some more....

So SPC isn't a thing anymore ehhh? I'm shopping for Lipo options for an Outcast that will be purchased in the very near future and SMC has a lot of back orders. Hobbyking doesn't seem to have many hardcase 3S options above 5000mah, so I need somewhere else to look. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about running soft cases, but I can't myself to go that route.

Just bought 2x 3s 5200mah soft packs from rcjuice.com they were a total of $70 shipped after 10% discount code. Come with Xt90 plugs, seem to be good quality and well balanced. They are slim enough to fit side by side in the Kraton tray. Pretty good for $35 each.

Just bought 2x 3s 5200mah soft packs from rcjuice.com they were a total of $70 shipped after 10% discount code. Come with Xt90 plugs, seem to be good quality and well balanced. They are slim enough to fit side by side in the Kraton tray. Pretty good for $35 each.

I had forgoten about RC Juice. I went to check em out but they only have softcase. I think I just need to get over my aversion to a mechanism that was primarily for ROAR applications anyway. They DO have some decent prices, although I wish XT150 was an option. I'm going to make the switch after Vas convinced me of their utility.

Unfortunately when you go to 3s packs most of them get too big to fit anything with a hard case involved.

I had forgoten about RC Juice. I went to check em out but they only have softcase. I think I just need to get over my aversion to a mechanism that was primarily for ROAR applications anyway. They DO have some decent prices, although I wish XT150 was an option. I'm going to make the switch after Vas convinced me of their utility.
I agree with you about the hard care and soft case. I prefer and will look for hard case packs as I feel that they are better protected. It may not be true or whatever but it makes me feel better when they are in a hard case. I have XT150 as well and the problem I foresee with them is that there really isn't a "standard" way of doing those connectors. The males and females both fit into the large and small plastic pieces. So there are a bunch of different ways that people configure these connectors. Myself, I have them set up with one female and one male on each the battery and the esc. I have also seen them with two males on the esc as well as two females on the esc.

I have XT150 as well and the problem I foresee with them is that there really isn't a "standard" way of doing those connectors. The males and females both fit into the large and small plastic pieces. So there are a bunch of different ways that people configure these connectors. Myself, I have them set up with one female and one male on each the battery and the esc. I have also seen them with two males on the esc as well as two females on the esc.

I can see that being an issue if you are out bashing and have to borrow a battery or some similar situation (charging leads, etc.) but if you do all of yours the same way, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I say that knowing I'll mess up half of them and end up having resolder a bunch, just like I did every time I've changed connectors, but maybe I'll learn this time.

I can see that being an issue if you are out bashing and have to borrow a battery or some similar situation (charging leads, etc.) but if you do all of yours the same way, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I say that knowing I'll mess up half of them and end up having resolder a bunch, just like I did every time I've changed connectors, but maybe I'll learn this time.
I was referring to where you said that you wished XT150 was a connector option from the battery manufacturers. They would either need to come up with an industry "standard" as to how XT150 connectors should be done, or they would need to offer like 16+ different variations of how he XT150 connectors are attached. I don't think any of the companies would be willing to do that. Either way, I like soldering them myself as XT150 connectors are the easiest ones I have found and only take a couple of minutes to do.

Order a set of 5200mah 3s packs from RC juice.soft pack. Not a high jumper an 6s is why I am going 1/8 arrma in the 1st place. Try them in my Xmaxx, 5200 small treat for him.HA!

So i ran my typhon today with my 5200 turnigy batteries. Had to cut my run short...
Both batteries are at 35% and both have matching volts in both cells... But one has puffed about 2mm. Still good to use ?? Or just dispose of it ??

...and after some checking... One of my rebacks is doing the same :-/

Last edited:
2mm is not a big problem, I had some Turnigy packs that swell a lot during bashing in summer, but when they cooled down they would come back almost to their initial shape. Keep an aey on them, but 2mm is not a problem imo.

2mm is not a big problem, I had some Turnigy packs that swell a lot during bashing in summer, but when they cooled down they would come back almost to their initial shape. Keep an aey on them, but 2mm is not a problem imo.
Yeah... I jumped on the hobbyking chat and they reckon should be ok since cells are balanced and still takes full charge.
I went through my other batteries and found a redback was doing the same...
They did get pretty hot on my last run so im guessing thats what did it. If they go up anymore i'll just chuck em and get some new ones

IMG_20170228_155212393.jpg

Going with these to start with,from RCJuice. Asked dude online about a set of 3s that would fit ,an he said he ran these.fit perfect,hope they work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back