What size lipo are you guys running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i noticed that too. I did have the whole thing apart. When i had it apart everything spins normally. The bearings and diff seem to be in good shape. It only does it when the case to the trans is together and tight.

Yeah i noticed that too. I did have the whole thing apart. Everything looks good. Other then no oil in it. Iam not sure if there should be. But i would think so. It only does it when the casing is assembled. When i had it apart everything moved fine and all the gears and bearings looked and spun really well. Iam wondering if the case is just sloppy from wear and tear. It is only plastic. And the truck itself is really beat up lol.

I have a spur gear on the way. Plus I ordered a 15t cog to replace the 22t cog that is on the truck right now. Iam wo durring if that will help with the overheating issue. Iam also gonna grab a tube of grease from work and tear the trans back apart and lube everything up. I want to do the diff as well if anyone has any good references to use for diff oil. I would greatly appreciate it. Grant it the truck is in pretty rough shape. I would like to fix it up the best I can to get as much life out of it as possible. It definately is repairable its just a matter of maintenance (which it obviously hasnt had any at all that i can tell) and replacing some parts. Another question is how can i tell which model i have? Iam pretty sure it is one of the early low end brushed models because everything on the truck is plastic and it has the original red white and black body that I got with the truck.

I have a spur gear on the way. Plus I ordered a 15t cog to replace the 22t cog that is on the truck right now. Iam wo durring if that will help with the overheating issue. Iam also gonna grab a tube of grease from work and tear the trans back apart and lube everything up. I want to do the diff as well if anyone has any good references to use for diff oil. I would greatly appreciate it. Grant it the truck is in pretty rough shape. I would like to fix it up the best I can to get as much life out of it as possible. It definately is repairable its just a matter of maintenance (which it obviously hasnt had any at all that i can tell) and replacing some parts. Another question is how can i tell which model i have? Iam pretty sure it is one of the early low end brushed models because everything on the truck is plastic and it has the original red white and black body that I got with the truck.
The original brushed model had aluminum twin vertical plates, aluminum lower plate, steel adjustable turnbuckles, and metal gears in the transmission. The new Granite is all plastic. As time has gone by they have removed more and more of the niceness from this truck. Watch Jangs unboxing of it and compare it to a more recent unboxing of the Granite. You might have a new one with an old body on it.

Well i pulled everything back apart. Packed the diff and the trans with grease. And it turns really smoothly now. Thankfully. I posted a video to hear the difference. Also got the new spur gear and cog on and mounted. Iam off to pool now so i will finish getting it together when i get home tonight. I did review the videos like you had mentioned and it seems as if it is about a 2015 granite mega. Everything on those trucks matches what i have now minus the esc and motor.

Yeah i did. And thank you for the help and advice. Iam still going to get a new motor though. The one you had suggested. I ran the truck last night and it ran great but was significantly slower with the 15t cog gear. However the 2s battery you had suggested lasted over 45 minutes. I was quite surprised after the nimh battery i was running that was only getting maybe 10 minutes of run time.

That could probably be why yes.
You could run stadium truck tires on it yes.
Arrma Vorteks.
Yeah, the motor was designed for a vehicle that is much lighter as well.
You could always buy an eBay blue can motor, you might have to change out the connectors on the esc to 4mm if they are not already. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3650-3...781125?hash=item361e7d9705:g:eOwAAOSwbYZXY2J1
I have had one of these in my Ecx Ruckus for well over a year and have had zero issues with it. It's insane on 3s https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Perfo...795401&hash=item1eccfbd164:g:oUYAAOSwq1NZiOsa

Iam gonna go ahead and order one of these motors. What is the difference between the 3650 and the 3665? I am starting to understand the turns and kilavolts but still trying to understand the other stuff. Like what that number means. And for say a 550 motor. I have seen tbat rating on brushed motors. And have seen posts about people talking about it with brushless motors.

The 3665 motor will have more torque over the 3650 motor of the same kv rating. The 3665 can also has a 5mm motor shaft so if you went that way you would need to order new pinions.

Ok. So if i were to gear it right. It would be a lot faster then the 3650 motor?

Ok. So if i were to gear it right. It would be a lot faster then the 3650 motor?
No it would be the same speed, it would be able to get up to speed faster though. A 3900 kv motor will only spin so fast at a designated voltage. If you have two 3900 kv motors in two identical vehicles and one has a 3650 can and the other has a 3665 can the 3665 will accelerate faster every time but they will both hit the same top speed.

No it would be the same speed, it would be able to get up to speed faster though. A 3900 kv motor will only spin so fast at a designated voltage. If you have two 3900 kv motors in two identical vehicles and one has a 3650 can and the other has a 3665 can the 3665 will accelerate faster every time but they will both hit the same top speed.
Ok. Iam starting to understand it. Iam trying to get the truck to go as fast as it was before i dropped from the 22t to the 15t cog with this motor i have now. The issue is this motor is too high of a kv for the esc with a 22t cog. Iam wondering if i get the 3900kv motor and put the 22t cog back in if i will still run I to the I overheating issue. As of right now with the 5900kv motor and 15t cog the motor and esc get very warm it not hot enough to go into limp mode.

I'm not sure how the Granite is geared in the trans, I am assuming it is close to the Stampede and the Ruckus, but in my Stampede I found a 18t pinion to be the sweet spot with the Castle 3800kv motor on 2s.

Unfortunately you are going to loose some speed, but your speed controller will thank you.

I'm not sure how the Granite is geared in the trans, I am assuming it is close to the Stampede and the Ruckus, but in my Stampede I found a 18t pinion to be the sweet spot with the Castle 3800kv motor on 2s.

Unfortunately you are going to loose some speed, but your speed controller will thank you.
Ok i will look into that. Thank you. One more question lol. The bigger the cog the more heat is generated. Is that same principle true if you stay the same size cog but reduce the tooth count with the spur gear?

Yes and no it all depends. If I was you I would start with the stock gearing for the Granite BLX then adjust from there.

When you are adjusting your gearing a rule of thumb is:

Hot motor, cool controller, cool batteries = undergeared
Cool motor, hot controller, hot batteries = overgeared
Warm motor, warm controller, warm batteries = happy components
hot everything = way overgeared

You always want to gear for temp not for speed.

Here is a help full tool for finding out what speeds you could possibly get with different gearing, motors and tires. http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

For the Granite

Front/Rear Differential Gear Ratio - 1
Transmission Gear Ratio - 2.60:1
Additional Gear Ratio - 1
Spur gear tooth count - 87
Pinion gear tooth count - 15
Total Battery Voltage - 3.7v lipo nom 2 cells
KV of Brushless motor - 3900
Tire diameter in inches - 4.7"
leave the last 3 the way they are.

With a 15 tooth pinion your estimated top speed will be 26.76mph with the 3900kv motor, with the 5900kv motor you're at 40.48mph with the same gearing.
With the 22 tooth pinion your estimated top speed will be 39.25mph with the 3900kv motor, with the 5900kv motor you're at 59.37mph. My Ruckus has the same trans gearing as the Granite and I can tell you that with the 3900kv motor you are going to find the sweet spot on 2s to be a 17-19 tooth pinion. Anything over that and you will start to have heat issues.

Whoever put that combo together was definitely looking for speed but going about it the wrong way. Gear down volt up is a much better way to make speed.

Are you wanting a reliable and efficient setup or do you want more speed? Because trying to achieve speed with 2s you will just end up in the same situation you are in currently.

Last edited:
I want a reliable machine. And i will use all of that. Thank you for the advise. I was thinking of setting it up to like you had mentioned above and went to a 3s pack. I wouldnt run it all of the time on 3s though.

I just put the 3900kv motor in tonight and ran it for a few minutes. It squealed crazy loud. I adjusted the timing in the esc and it still continued to squeal. The 5900kv motor had a slight squeal which I was thinking it was vecause it was being over worked but this one it really screaming.

Hmm yeah it shouldn't squeel, can you get a video of it? Does it squeel out of the truck too?

Hmm yeah it shouldn't squeel, can you get a video of it? Does it squeel out of the truck too?
I just took this quick when i got home from pool. I can try to get a better video after work tomorrow but hopefully you can hear what i mean. The motor just seems really loud and has a squeal to it.

Sounds like your gear mesh is too tight to me.

Last edited:
Ok. I can try to back the cog off a little. The spur gear is brand new and is really out of balance so I set it for the farthest point of the spur gear so it wouldnt strip out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back