Kraton Using speed pinion with 4s question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk420

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So I use 2x 3s lipos and one of them is puffing. Wondering if I can put the speed pinion on using 4s to get back some of the power loss. What's your opinion? Thanks guys

Thanks for the input. Well I'm going to give it a shot today and see how it goes. I'm on the fence about getting another 2 3s packs or the cheaper rout and change out the pinion and use 4s. But will this set up have enough power to help flip the truck in the air or do I need the 6s power for that?

Ok thank you. Helped make up my mind. It's raining here but it stopped for a bit. Ya it gained the top end speed back but your right it just don't have the gusto to make it flip. Oh well worth a try lol.

Good to know. Unfortunately while out drifting around after it rained I slid backwards into the curb and tore some stuff up. I ripped a back a arm off and cracked the gearbox case...actually I broke it beyond use. I didn't think I was going fast enough to do this kind of damage but we never do lol.

Thanks for the input. Well I'm going to give it a shot today and see how it goes. I'm on the fence about getting another 2 3s packs or the cheaper rout and change out the pinion and use 4s. But will this set up have enough power to help flip the truck in the air or do I need the 6s power for that?
Running one 6S in my opinion is easier on the batteries. In some cases, I have drained down one cell in a dual setup and it puffed up. I have almost no issues with single setups. Also...you should run the LVC a little higher on some batteries. I run 3.5 LVC on cheaper batteries and ESC's. Or....I may use a Lipo alarm but the balance plug is hard to keep plugged in if you are jumping etc. That needs a little rigging to keep them plugged in snug.

Running one 6S in my opinion is easier on the batteries. In some cases, I have drained down one cell in a dual setup and it puffed up. I have almost no issues with single setups. Also...you should run the LVC a little higher on some batteries. I run 3.5 LVC on cheaper batteries and ESC's. Or....I may use a Lipo alarm but the balance plug is hard to keep plugged in if you are jumping etc. That needs a little rigging to keep them plugged in snug.
It still kind of amazes me that there aren't any ESCs that you can plug the balance plug, or none that I know of, into so that it reads all of the cell voltages and shuts down when the lowest cell hits the low voltage cutoff.

That would be nice. Some ESC's are more accurate than others it seems. I just started to up my LVC and use the alarm. As soon as I get a lazy cell...I've been giving up on the battery. If I know the pack and system performs better.....I'll go lower on LVC. Been staying at the high setting on Hobbywing stuff. Or 3.5v on the alarm. Seems like the lazy cell ruins the show with some ESC's. The pack case just cracks open.

Thanks Vanning and Chevy. I usually stop running them around 3.6 or so then bring them back up to 3.8. Sure would be awesome to find an esc that did that. I run 2 packs because my current charger (onyx 245) only charges up to a 3s lol. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade my charger and use single packs but for now I'm stuck lol.

Thanks Vanning and Chevy. I usually stop running them around 3.6 or so then bring them back up to 3.8. Sure would be awesome to find an esc that did that. I run 2 packs because my current charger (onyx 245) only charges up to a 3s lol. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade my charger and use single packs but for now I'm stuck lol.
Maybe I should patent my idea for the balance plug into the esc.....

You bring them back to 3.8 volts per cell for storage or for fully charging to run?

Just for storage. I think you should mention something to Arrma about your esc idea lol.

Just for storage. I think you should mention something to Arrma about your esc idea lol.
I should patent it and let every company use it free of charge......except Traxxas.

I run dual packs as well. I just bought external low voltage alarms and hook one up to each battery so that if a single cell starts going out it lets me know.

Last edited:
im new to these cars if the motor and esc get to warm with esc low voltage cut off

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back