Upgrade Mega/BLS plastic transmission to BLX metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not a lot of details about the motor but I found this:

X60 Brushless Sensorless ESC Features:

• Waterproof
• 3S LiPo Compatible for Additional Speed
• Sensorless Operation
• High-Quality Battery and Motor Connectors
• Super-Efficient Components
• Anodized Aluminum Heat-Sink and Cooling Fan
• Fully Programmable (Requires Programming Card P/N 145725)

X60 Brushless Sensorless ESC Specifications:

• Input Voltage: 2-3S LiPo or 6-8C NiMH
• Continuous Current: 60 Amps
• Burst Current: 380 Amps
• Resistance: 0.0007 Ohms
BEC Output: 6 Volts / 3 Amps
• Motor Type: Brushless Sensorless
• Suitable Motors: 540-Size and 550-Size*
• Battery Connector: T-Style
• Motor Connectors: 4mm Gold-Plated Bullet
• Dimensions: 2.04 x 1.49 x 1.41 Inches (52 x 38 x 36mm)
• Weight: 3.77 Ounces (107g)

X540 540-Size Brushless Motor Features:

• 4-Pole 12-Slot High-Torque Design
• CNC-Machined Billet Aluminum Heat-Sink Can
• High Purity Copper Windings Maximize Efficiency
• High RPM ABEC5 Oversize Bearings
• Super Thin 0.2mm Laminations on the Stator
• Removable/Replaceable Rotor
• Precision-Engineered for Maximum Efficiency
• Wired with 4mm Gold-Plated Bullet Connectors

X540 540-Size Brushless Motor Specifications:

• Watts: 900
• Maximum Voltage: 13 Volts
• Maximum Amps: 69 Amps
• Rotor Poles: 4
• Resistance: 0.0081
• Kv: 3900
• Maximum RPM: 50000
• Shaft Size: 3.175mm (1/8 in)
• Dimensions: 55mm (Length) / 36mm (Diameter)
• Weight: 6.35 Ounces (180g)

What's Included:

• XTM X60 Brushless Sensorless ESC with Cooling Fan
• XTM X540 3900kv (4T) Brushless Sensorless Motor

This combo is as powerful as the BLX drive system, reading from these specs!

so I just bought a raider xl blx last month. Can't seem to run full pack without something breaking. So some things I've replaced or upgraded.
  • Steering post
  • Front control arm
  • Added tbone front bumper
  • Axles cause short dogbone ate it up
  • 90mm dogbones (redcat)
  • Rear hubs stripped
  • Rpm blue ball joint Arms
After about a 20 year hiatus it's getting really frustrating. Bad part is I don't drive it very hard. Now to the gearbox..ugh..

Driving it yesterday it starting slipping which from reading this thread I think it's the pin . I pulled it apart but didn't check the pin. Will do that later.

So after reading and pulling my gearbox it seems I have the composite gears?? Thought the BLX came with metal. The diff, idler and layshaft gears are plastic. The gearbox case has the motor mount molded into one piece. Did I get the wrong gears with mine?

I did order all the metal gears but didn't order the diff case and motor mount so should I order that too or should it fit in this one.

so I just bought a raider xl blx last month. Can't seem to run full pack without something breaking. So some things I've replaced or upgraded.
  • Steering post
  • Front control arm
  • Added tbone front bumper
  • Axles cause short dogbone ate it up
  • 90mm dogbones (redcat)
  • Rear hubs stripped
  • Rpm blue ball joint Arms
After about a 20 year hiatus it's getting really frustrating. Bad part is I don't drive it very hard. Now to the gearbox..ugh..

Driving it yesterday it starting slipping which from reading this thread I think it's the pin . I pulled it apart but didn't check the pin. Will do that later.

So after reading and pulling my gearbox it seems I have the composite gears?? Thought the BLX came with metal. The diff, idler and layshaft gears are plastic. The gearbox case has the motor mount molded into one piece. Did I get the wrong gears with mine?

I did order all the metal gears but didn't order the diff case and motor mount so should I order that too or should it fit in this one.

You are not the first complaining about carnage on the front wheel carriers of the Raider XL.
A buggy has quite an exposed front section, which is a bit more prone to damage.
And do not forget the outside temperature. I do not know where you bash, but on most parts in the world it is quite cold. Cold makes plastic more brittle!

Concerning the gears, could you make a picture of your car, and a detail shot of the gears?
This sounds unusual, or did they change the kit again?

You are not the first complaining about carnage on the front wheel carriers of the Raider XL.
A buggy has quite an exposed front section, which is a bit more prone to damage.
And do not forget the outside temperature. I do not know where you bash, but on most parts in the world it is quite cold. Cold makes plastic more brittle!

Concerning the gears, could you make a picture of your car, and a detail shot of the gears?
This sounds unusual, or did they change the kit again?
Thank you, the weather has been decent so 50''s at the lowest. The Tbone bumper is great and seems very strong. I just run it in the backyard against my 9yr old who I bought his first rc truck for Christmas (ECX amp mt) the area I run it is dirt with 1 small ramp I made. Crazy cause other than some small ruts it''s pretty smooth.

I will take a picture of the gears and gearbox tonight and take apart the input shaft to see if the pin is broken. After reading the description on their website it looks like it just might be the spider gears that are metal.

So looking at the Arrma site, the gearbox looks like this and it does seem that it is the composite gear set. I did order all but the gearbox, motor plate and input shaft. The link to the input shaft on the fist page shows the 59mm one and it looks like mine would be the 60.5mm. I'm thinking I might have to buy the 59mm input shaft, gearbox and motor plate but will wait until the metal gears show up to see if it will work.

Here is the gearbox specs from their site

This 0.8M Plastic Gearbox Set provides the parts that are needed to replace the Gearbox casing on your ARRMA 1/10 2WD vehicle.

FEATURES:
Super-tough composite material for long-lasting durability in all conditions - Integrated composite Motor-plate for fast and easy assembly and servicing - Super-strong steel Bearing Spacer Shaft for consistent bearing seating

INCLUDES:
1 x Left Composite Gearbox Casing

1 x Right Composite Gearbox Casing with integrated composite Motor-plate

1 x Bearing Spacer Shaft

1 x Lower Gearbox Spacer Mount

REQUIRES:
AR310378 - Diff Gear Set

AR310600 - 60.5mm Input Gear Shaft

AR310597 - Composite Gear Set

Attachments

• arrma gearbox.jpg
    arrma gearbox.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 67
I am a bit flabbergasted about the BLX XL. I know they have a mega with the composite gears.

Please show us the pictures!
Here is a picture of a replacement composite gear set from Arrma. These are the gears I have. The Idler, input and diff gear is plastic. Only metal I see is the spider gears inside the diff.

Also another confusing thing was I counted 21t on my idler gear. The one I ordered says 20t. I guess we'll see. I will still get pics tonight though of my actual diff

Arrma gears.jpg

Here is a picture of a replacement composite gear set from Arrma. These are the gears I have. The Idler, input and diff gear is plastic. Only metal I see is the spider gears inside the diff.

Also another confusing thing was I counted 21t on my idler gear. The one I ordered says 20t. I guess we'll see. I will still get pics tonight though of my actual diff

View attachment 6565

Just checked it myself on the Arrma website. Indeed they use the composite gears and diff now too in the BLX cars.
Amazing that the BLX motor became more powerful than the 2013 models, but they downgraded the diff and gears...

Still let us know what you found causing this problem!

Just checked it myself on the Arrma website. Indeed they use the composite gears and diff now too in the BLX cars.
Amazing that the BLX motor became more powerful than the 2013 models, but they downgraded the diff and gears...

Still let us know what you found causing this problem!
OK just took it apart again. It was the input shaft gear. The pin spun around the inside of the plastic gear. The pic of the shaft with pin and gear. It's the messed up teeth is from me taking it off because it was stuck on. But on the inside you can see the groove where the pin just spun around. Shame they put the plastic input gear. Seems that takes a large part of the stress.

I'll update on the metal gears and whether or not I need the gearbox, motor mount and shorter input shaft Thanks
1487035527613554308036.jpg
1487035584309-1294433718.jpg

So you've started with one of the Arrma MEGA or BLS models and now wanting to upgrade to a brushless and LiPo setup for longer runtimes and a much faster vehicle!?

Upgrading Arrma Transmission from plastic to BLX metal

Before doing so it's highly recommended you upgrade your plastic transmission to a metal transmission setup found in the Arrma BLX models as a brushless and LiPo setup is certainly going to put a lot of stress on your gearbox. Here is a list of the parts you're going to need to upgrade your Arrma gearbox to metal:

If you have an older model (before 2014) you'll also need the following parts, otherwise the newer Arrma models already come stock with the below parts:
  • AR310378 - Differential Gear Maintenance Set
  • AR310399 - Gear Differential Outdrive
I'm upgrading the diff in my 2016 granite blx. The input shaft is 60.5mm (AR310600). Do i have to get the 59mm shaft or will the stock one work? Also, do I have to change the gear box as well or will the stock one work? Thanks in advance

This is the literature/manual that came with my Granite Mega. It lists the parts necessary to upgrade to BLX specs (some of the other suggested upgrades are on another sheet). If you notice, it has you replacing the gearbox and pretty much everything in it. Also, note why the 59mm input shaft is used - because the motor mounting plate is a separate piece from the gear box. Another thing to note is that the AR310016 Gear is the one on the input shaft, and it is metal. That, combined with the AR310416 gear set, will result in all the gears inside the gearbox being metal.

I upgraded to a Castle motor and ESC, and a 3C lipo. It's a rocket! I knew that the stock gears would only last so long. That being said, I'm waiting for the parts to come in to build a new gearbox. I should say that I'm not tremendously experienced with all this - it's just a hobby for me. I do have a tremendous amount of experience though with making sense of parts breakdowns and dealing with and sorting out the inconsistencies that seem to be the norm. I'll post an update with how it all goes back together when it's done.

Attachments

• 20170225_002747.jpg
    20170225_002747.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 77
The newer ARRMA BLX and Mega vehicles come with the same transmission that has heavy duty plastic gears. You shouldn't need to go back to the older metal transmission since I don't think it is any better than the newer transmission.

The most important thing is that you set the slipper correctly and also use some punch control.

Best regards,
Brian

The newer ARRMA BLX and Mega vehicles come with the same transmission that has heavy duty plastic gears. You shouldn't need to go back to the older metal transmission since I don't think it is any better than the newer transmission.

The most important thing is that you set the slipper correctly and also use some punch control.

Best regards,
Brian

I agree about the slipper clutch!
But the fact remains that the newer tranny cannot handle even the stock BLX power!
All transmissions for brushless vehicles are made out of metal. And there is a good reason for this.

Lowering punch control is not why people by this bashing purpose designed trucks

I think it's worth the upgrade. I have a granite mega which had the input shaft pin three times melt through the plastic gear when I upgraded to brushless. Getting the metal had prevented that so far.

Is there a smaller spur gear that I can put into my Raider? Want something smaller for top speed

Tried 3S already and a pinion with more teeth than the stock?
Up with 3s it but 45 and with 2s and 25t pinion it just got 31. But I want to get a smaller spur gear to help. I just don't know where to do and get one that actually fits

I have the parts on order to upgrade my Fury Mega plastic to BLX metal. My question is to those that did also, did you change your pinon and spur set from the stock 18t, 87t 48dp to what is in the manual for BLX: 15t 0.8M / 57t 0.8M?
I am using a 4300kv brushless motor.

I have the parts on order to upgrade my Fury Mega plastic to BLX metal. My question is to those that did also, did you change your pinon and spur set from the stock 18t, 87t 48dp to what is in the manual for BLX: 15t 0.8M / 57t 0.8M?
I am using a 4300kv brushless motor.

I have both.
The gear ratio's are very close, but the 0.8M/32dp is more sturdy!

I would focus more on the correct gear ratio, given that the 4300kV could make a lot more revs on paper than the 3800kV BLX motor.
But since maximum revs and power output are not necessarily related, it could mean they have similar power output. Thus you need to adjust the gear ratio accordingly.

I have changed my 3600kV BLX for a 4000kV sensored motor. I have changed my 0.8M 15T stock pinion for a 13T

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back