Typhon Typhon project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear mounted view.jpg
Rear mounted view.jpg

Just fitted the stock Kraton body and it fit well, although I won't be using it! Also installed the T-Bone bumper and my homemade mud flaps.
Maybe today will be nice enough to test run it?

Well I made some taller side guards, then made some mud flaps while I was at it, installed a T-Bone Bumper. I went through the ESC settings and set my Steering end-points, brake strength to high and punch setting to 5 (I think). It's different than the BLX 185. When I was done I put a 6S in it and she did a backflip on my slippery basement floor! All is good!
The material I used for the side guards wouldn't take paint, even after wiping with acetone, so I just used Gorilla tape. It looks like carbon fiber so I'll just leave it alone.
Mudflaps and sideguards.jpg
Side guards side view.jpg
New Wheels
New wheels.jpg
Thinking about this color scheme. 1968 Yenko Camaro. Simple yet mean looking!
1968-chevy-camaro-ss-yenko.png

Forgot to mention I ran the battery straps so the ring/loop is on the inside towards the center. Much easier to get to. I might do this to my Kraton as well.

Paint is done, might tint the windows? Not crazy about the rear wheel wells, but it's gonna get banged up anyway so...
20170127_200827.jpg

20170127_200850.jpg

20170128_072015.jpg

My Typhon is so stripped for parts it's ridiculous! Is nice though being able to borrow parts while waiting for more.
I have some parts on the way today. Center diff, motor and diff mount, and the Kraton roll cage. Should have the rest of the parts Monday to put her back together. The Typhon was NOT happy being stripped.

Well I took her out for a test flight today, but as luck would have it, my GoPro went dead. Anyway, I got some video of the Outcast though..
The thing is a beast with all that torque and I could barely get to half throttle and the front started to lift. The wheels didn't seem to balloon that bad being cheap tires, so it was a good day. The pinion I had trouble with finally came loose which might make it easier to get it off and replace the cheap grub screw.

20170129_095006.jpg
20170129_102559.jpg
Just got the pinion off to remove that cheap set screw and replaced it with a new one. I did fit the Kraton roll cage but mounted it backwards then took the top off and turned it around to center it. Now the body fits without it hitting the front window.
20170129_094950.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting on the last few bits to put my Typhon back together... Darn shipment is somewhere in Limbo between UPS and USPS Mail Innovations...UGH!
Guess the post office was quicker than the tracking system? White Typhon wing came today so I installed it... YES or NO? I needed the other one to finish putting my Typhon back together.. Which is running again!! Woot Woot!
20170203_134219.jpg

Last edited:
I was finishing up my Typhon re-assembly and remembered I changed the springs on my Outcast, so I took the front springs from that and put them on the Typhon. Slightly more travel in the front now.

Tower to Tower carbon fiber bracing.
View attachment 5913
Nylon insert
View attachment 5914
Front view mounting
View attachment 5915

View attachment 5916
I put shrink tubing on the front for id purposes

View attachment 5917
Hey @72Z15SS, like the double tower to tower chassis brace installation, so I thought I might try it out. I picked up a 9/32" carbon fiber tube from the LHS. Was going to do aluminum but this is much lighter and seemed more solid than the thin walled aluminum tubing. The thick walled tubing just seemed to heavy.

I couldn't track down any nylon bushings like you used so I'm going to try using JB Kwick weld in the ends of the tubes and then drill a small hole to self tap the screw into.

Just curious what size fiber rod and what screw diameter and length you used?

Hey @72Z15SS, like the double tower to tower chassis brace installation, so I thought I might try it out. I picked up a 9/32" carbon fiber tube from the LHS. Was going to do aluminum but this is much lighter and seemed more solid than the thin walled aluminum tubing. The thick walled tubing just seemed to heavy.

I couldn't track down any nylon bushings like you used so I'm going to try using JB Kwick weld in the ends of the tubes and then drill a small hole to self tap the screw into.

Just curious what size fiber rod and what screw diameter and length you used?
Sorry for the delay, wasn't feeling well today... The tubing I used is 6mm ID x 7.5mm" OD

Bought it years ago at an R/C Air show. The screws I used to mount them were 3x16 mm button head screws. Hope that helps. I might go to Cabelas and see if I can find some Carbon Fiber arrow shaft and make some more.

Last edited:
I've been at it again! Thought I had an extra wheelie bar lying around but I used it on this build, so I made my own for my Typhon!
Not crazy about the wheels, but they can be changed...
20170205_203802.jpg

20170205_203715.jpg

20170205_203734.jpg

20170205_204008.jpg

My baby is all fixed up...
20170205_203937.jpg

Sorry for the delay, wasn't feeling well today... The tubing I used is 6mm ID x 7.5mm" OD

Bought it years ago at an R/C Air show. The screws I used to mount them were 3x16 mm button head screws. Hope that helps. I might go to Cabelas and see if I can find some Carbon Fiber arrow shaft and make some more.
Yes that helps, Thanks!

I've been at it again! Thought I had an extra wheelie bar lying around but I used it on this build, so I made my own for my Typhon!
Not crazy about the wheels, but they can be changed...
View attachment 6306

View attachment 6307

View attachment 6309

View attachment 6312

My baby is all fixed up...
View attachment 6311
Nice job on the wheelie bar, looks good!

Yes that helps, Thanks!

Nice job on the wheelie bar, looks good!
Took me a bit of time. I actually cut small hexes on both sides so they fit the wing mount just like these pieces. I just dig making s**t! I have so many ideas for my fleet and not enough time...

arac9695.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back