Tools for getting started in RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this as I am new to the RC world. I have built a list based on suggestions here.

I like to work on my own full sized cars, so I have a decent tool box for that - but this is a whole new game. Now I have an excuse to buy more tools!

If you have Harbor Freight nearby:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/nutdrivers/7-pc-metric-nut-driver-set-69110.html
The color coding is handy, always reach for the purple handle to pop off a wheel.

And a 5.5mm socket, not included in a 1/4 drive socket set, have to add on.
spin_prod_905203112?hei=333&wid=333&op_sharpen=1.jpg

If you've been in R/C for several years and have hundreds of dollars in tools already, this post isn't going to be useful for you. If you're just getting started in R/C, maybe you just picked up your first Arrma model and want to know what tools to pick up... this post is exactly for you!

Short version:

Hex Drivers

Arrma, along with most any other manufacture, usually includes some L hex wrenches. These are usually a pain to use especially in hard to reach areas and do a great job at rounding your hex heads and for those reasons I recommend throwing them away or giving them to someone you don't like.

Bondhus makes great tools, offer a lifetime warranty, and make tools here in the USA and offer some very nice priced tools that are great to get started with, like the Bondhus 10686 6-piece set. Which includes 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, & 5.0mm hex drivers.

In addition you'll also want to pick up a Bondhus .050" hex driver. For less than $20 you'll have all your hex screw needs covered and then some.

Nut Drivers

The tiny 4-way cross wrench isn't bad, truth be told I still use mine every once in a while but have a couple nut drivers makes the work far more easier and quicker.

The Dynamite metric nut driver set is a nice set that's going to cover both the 5.5mm and 7mm nuts used on most Arrma models.

Screwdrivers

You probably likely already have a couple screwdrivers laying around somewhere but if not then the Tekton 4 piece set makes a nice set to cover both slotted and phillips screws.

Other Stuff

There are a couple more things I'd recommend adding to your R/C toolbox to finish it off. Needle nose pliers, again something you may already have if not any, if not again the Tekton 3504 needle nose pliers for a few bucks will be fine.

Blue thread lock, as you'll be using this anytime a screw goes into a metal piece to prevent the screw from backing out. I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of the Loctite blue sticks. You can get the small bottle version but with the sticks you don't have to worry about it leaking, dripping, running, or drying out. It goes exactly where you put it.

To finish it off, get some permatex white lithium grease. This offers great lubrication without being overly messy or thick.

For not much money you can have pretty much all the tools you're going to need to work on your Arrma RC's that's going to last you a good long time and a toolbox that will go with you as you buy more and more RC's.
Great info woodie! Thanks, from a newbie!

Sweet buy! The caliper is such a great friend when comparing dimensions of existing parts to those you are considering.

Extremely helpful! It will pay for it self in no time.

Got mine at Harbor Freight for $11 with one of their "Going out of business sales" coupons.
I love harbor freight, heres mine. I hate when i just need one thing, because i walk out with a bag full.

Attachments

• 80_ITEM_6__DIGITAL_CALIPER_1434730909.0549.jpg
    80_ITEM_6__DIGITAL_CALIPER_1434730909.0549.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 71
Yeah, it's dangerous for me to go into H.F. for the same reason. I wouldn't shop there if I was still turning wrenches for a living, but for the shadetree mechanic, I love that crummy store...lol. I got the same $11 calipers. They seem to work better than the ones the USAF used to provide us.

I love harbor freight, heres mine. I hate when i just need one thing, because i walk out with a bag full.

Oh, I got ripped! You out-bottom-fed me by a dollar!
I took wifey there, on way in I let her know, "there's nothing 'precious' or 'darling' here".
Manager overheard me, made a big joke out of it, pointed her to the hammers, and asked "aren't there precious?"
Kept her outta my hair for 5 mins while I got what I needed.
Yeah, hard to buy just one thing there and if you didn't get another LED flashlight for free coupon, then you got ripped! LOL!

Yeah, it's dangerous for me to go into H.F. for the same reason. I wouldn't shop there if I was still turning wrenches for a living, but for the shadetree mechanic, I love that crummy store...lol. I got the same $11 calipers. They seem to work better than the ones the USAF used to provide us.

With you all the way on that.
Reminds me, gotta put away the RCs for a Saturday and get wifey's rear brakes done.

Lol... They do have some pretty and girly hammers. I bought my daughter one... If your a pro, this stuff is junk. But for me its perfect. i will walk up and down every isle, the wife wont go there with me anymore. I love there coupons, especially the free ones, im a sucker for those. I don't usually get played by marketing, exept for harbor freight. If any one goes there... sign up for the coupons. There Awesome!!! Free tape measures, free screw driver set, 20% off single item, free led light, even got a free magnetic dish....Brakes..yuk..The wifes caddie needs them done also. I need to wait for parts and finish my buddies stampede before i hit him up for a brake job.

Attachments

• 20160222_221051.jpg
    20160222_221051.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Just signed up yesterday. Found this awesome thread tonight. Harbor Freight here I come tomorrow! Great ideas here everybody.... Thank you

If you've been in R/C for several years and have hundreds of dollars in tools already, this post isn't going to be useful for you. If you're just getting started in R/C, maybe you just picked up your first Arrma model and want to know what tools to pick up... this post is exactly for you!

Short version:

Hex Drivers

Arrma, along with most any other manufacture, usually includes some L hex wrenches. These are usually a pain to use especially in hard to reach areas and do a great job at rounding your hex heads and for those reasons I recommend throwing them away or giving them to someone you don't like.

Bondhus makes great tools, offer a lifetime warranty, and make tools here in the USA and offer some very nice priced tools that are great to get started with, like the Bondhus 10686 6-piece set. Which includes 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, & 5.0mm hex drivers.

In addition you'll also want to pick up a Bondhus .050" hex driver. For less than $20 you'll have all your hex screw needs covered and then some.

Nut Drivers

The tiny 4-way cross wrench isn't bad, truth be told I still use mine every once in a while but have a couple nut drivers makes the work far more easier and quicker.

The Dynamite metric nut driver set is a nice set that's going to cover both the 5.5mm and 7mm nuts used on most Arrma models.

Screwdrivers

You probably likely already have a couple screwdrivers laying around somewhere but if not then the Tekton 4 piece set makes a nice set to cover both slotted and phillips screws.

Other Stuff

There are a couple more things I'd recommend adding to your R/C toolbox to finish it off. Needle nose pliers, again something you may already have if not any, if not again the Tekton 3504 needle nose pliers for a few bucks will be fine.

Blue thread lock, as you'll be using this anytime a screw goes into a metal piece to prevent the screw from backing out. I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of the Loctite blue sticks. You can get the small bottle version but with the sticks you don't have to worry about it leaking, dripping, running, or drying out. It goes exactly where you put it.

To finish it off, get some permatex white lithium grease. This offers great lubrication without being overly messy or thick.

For not much money you can have pretty much all the tools you're going to need to work on your Arrma RC's that's going to last you a good long time and a toolbox that will go with you as you buy more and more RC's.
Thanks WoodiE. Great info!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back