Outcast Teach me to do backflips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstchoicecp

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi, just got an outcast, and would like to know how to do standing backflips,

ATM it always lands on roof, do I need to change any settings etc..

Outcast is stock running on 6s

Arrma has a video and steps on their website.

http://www.arrma-rc.com/outcast/

Here is a screenshot.

Screenshot_20170514-091907.png

It won't do the standing backflips with the 12 tooth pinion. You can put the optional 16 tooth on and it will. I have a 14 on mine and it is still able to do it barely.

It won't do the standing backflips with the 12 tooth pinion. You can put the optional 16 tooth on and it will. I have a 14 on mine and it is still able to do it barely.
I've done standing back flips with both the 12 and 16 tooth pinions. I just had to be running 6S batteries. I was on punch 4 with the 12 tooth. Punch 9 with the 16 tooth, it does back flip acrobatics if you don't release the trigger, lol.

This video is 6S, 12 tooth.

I can do them with my Kraton, Stock punch, stock motor, stock pinion. My variable was the tires. I put on the Duratrax 6 Packs. They are so wide and so knobby, that they don't slip at all in the grass. And when the front wheels come off the ground they balloon so bad that, they just carry the rotation of the car over the top. Unfortunatly, until I can get some good braided fishing line around those tires, that is all they are good for.

I apologize, maybe I shouldn't have made such a general statement. I never tried any other punch level with my 12 tooth, but for my outcast all it would do was flip on its lid at best on any surface. Maybe I would have been able to do It with the punch turned up or different tires but I didn't try it.

@dpricenator is right, bigger heavier tires will make it easier due to having more rotating mass.
So @firstchoicecp you have a few options assuming you are getting enough traction and it still won't flip completely over.
  1. More punch, accelerating the tires faster to get the truck rotating sooner.
  2. Bigger pinion, increasing the wheel speed also increases the speed at which the truck rotates.
  3. Bigger/Heavier tires, increasing the ratio of rotating mass to the mass of the truck makes it easier for the truck to rotate.

mmhmm, I would suggest a smaller pinion, because it will increase the torque if you start do backflips out of the stand.
Specially if you use bigger tires because this will change the hole gear ratio!
Also heavier tires makes it more difficult to lift the car on the front axle.
If the motor can handle the power which will need, no prob. but take care of the temperature of motor and ESC.

Punch leve -> high
Suspension -> not too hard that the rear of the car can move a litte downward.
good battery´s -> you need enough power for the motor.
and take a ground which will gives you're tires enough grip..

Thats it..

I cannot do them either with stock settings and 6S. Lands on the lid. Tried on both grass and concrete. I tried to make sure the ESC was at factory setting but I never got the Red and Green lights to flash simultaneously as stated in the manual. Anyone else have a better way to check that? I have a similar problem with my Typhon. I cannot get reverse to work no matter what I try. I have reset the transmitter to factory default as well as the ESC.

Do you had set the endpoints to the esc after reset?
Do you checked the endpoints of the transmitter?

Typhon-> check the settings of the esc.. probably its set to forward without reverse.

If the Outcast does no Backflips stock and with 6S... there is something wrong.
Maybe follow the manual to check the right procedure again.

I will recheck the Outcast ESC punch settings, etc. It currently lands on it's roof.

Regarding the Typhon, I see on some other threads advice to check the Throttle trim, as small movements can disable the reverse. I will check that as well. The manuals instructions as to ESC adjustments are not that clear in my opinion.

Do you had set the endpoints to the esc after reset?
Do you checked the endpoints of the transmitter?

Typhon-> check the settings of the esc.. probably its set to forward without reverse.

If the Outcast does no Backflips stock and with 6S... there is something wrong.
Maybe follow the manual to check the right procedure again.
Ok. The Typhon Tx throttle trim was slightly past center. I put it center down and reverse now works.

The Outcast punch setting is now at 5. I saw other threads describing how to get it increased and the long beeps plus short beeps, etc. I will see if it flips now but may need to put in a larger pinion. What is the max motor temp I should be aware of?

I have no Outcast. Which ESC do you have? BLX 200?
maybe that will help you ->

Put the ESC to the highest punch level, look for high grip ground, pull the trigger fully and take care that you can release it also quickly......
Also one reason could be that you're Lipos did not have enough C-Rate. In case of backflips you're system needs full power.
In case that the voltage of the battery breaks down by taking amps you lost the needed power (Watt) and the Lipos will "puff" later on...

OK so I finally started doing the backflips now, all I did was Change punch settings to 9 and it does a backflip most of the time, I'm stilling running out of the box stock pinion

I upped the punch from 4 to six, haven't had the chance to test it yet. hopefully that makes it easier for the kid to flip. I'm convinced it has to do with the pinion on the motor as well. The stock pinion would backflip very easily but it was basically glued to the shaft. No setscrew in and it wouldn't move, had to pull off with a puller. The new pinion I believe moves ever so slightly on the shaft and that stops the full energy from transferring.

Upped punch to 9. Hit throttle does a perfect backflip. However if you rolling and do it. It just lands on the lid when it used to make it over. Pinion loosened again today too. Ordered a tekno. Pinion shouldn't loosen anymore with 5mm screw. Hopefully it's here for the weekend

Upped punch to 9. Hit throttle does a perfect backflip. However if you rolling and do it. It just lands on the lid when it used to make it over. Pinion loosened again today too. Ordered a tekno. Pinion shouldn't loosen anymore with 5mm screw. Hopefully it's here for the weekend
I’m assuming if I drop the punch it will slow down the flips somewhat?

Depends on different things. I put on the cheap nitro Rx tires that people had posted on here years ago after the kid destroyed the stock ones. They are bigger and figured it would be harder to flip. It flips instantly. I believe I turned punch way down as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back