Starter RC Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brker

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
For a 4 year old. Less than $100 preferably, any recommendations?

My budget starter RC recommendation is always the same. ECX AMP. $140, so it breaks you budget by a bit. Has throttle DR so you can slow it down to 4yo speeds with a turn of a dial.

4yo is a bit young for RC's, though. All of my kids, I tried to start them out young like that, and RC was just not for them. They just pin the throttle and watch it run and crash. Or do donuts till the battery is dead. 'Driving' does not really happen. When my kids were 6-8, they finally started to be able to control RC's that were faster than 5mph.

With that in mind, still, AMP. You can turn the throttle down to kid speeds, and then when it is daddy's turn, dial it back up and have fun!

My son is 4. Like Jerry's post above there isn't much steering and a lot of throttle hammering. It's not a arrma but i got him the traxxas mini summit vxl. It has training mode, speed and throttle trim as well. Plus it runs the same platform as the mini e revo so parts are cheap. I got it cheap on ebay, shimmed the diffs and put metal external driveshafts in. With its exocage he beats the crap out of it and it bounces right back.

He loves the thing and even painted his own body for it.

My budget starter RC recommendation is always the same. ECX AMP.
@Brker I will agree with this recommendation. Plus you can get the ECX AMP in a kit form, which is a GREAT way for your little guy and you both to get familiar with the RC. Plus it's just "one more thing" you guys can do together. If you do go the ECX route, be sure to check out our network site: https://ecxforum.com/

My other suggestion would be a Traxxas Stampede. They too are well known, parts are very much available and durable as heck. But will cost you more than an AMP.

The hbX 1/18 scale are really durable Amazon usually has them brushed pretty cheap and they take a beating my 3 year old bashes into most things right now lol but he loves it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back