SMC 6s 9200mAh charge help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dauransx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Just got my SMC battery and the matching charger HT206AC and im wanting to know if i need to set anything and what amps can i charge? 6amps for safe im sure but that seems low for the size? paper says "safe charge at 2c = 12amps but im confused with the balance default at 20amps.
SMC 6s 9200mAh 90c 186amps

Last edited:
Change your defaults to suit. With '1C' recommended set your balance charge to 9 amps or 9.2 if you can. It's also recommended to not charge past 95% of capacity, so 4.15volts per cell as the target max, or for 6S that would be 24.9 volts. This preserves their longevity - you have less to worry about with over-peaking one of the cells.

"Safe charge to 2C" means you can safely charge at 18ah. I wouldn't do that unless you're in the field looking for a quick-charge. And your charger may not be able to output that much anyway.

Store at 45-55% of charge, or 3.8 per cell - 22.8 for 6S.Store at room temp - not freezing, not cooking. :)

I just went through all this with my 4S and 2S packs with my KINEXSIS KX80 charger - it's a terrific little charger.

Last edited:
Change your defaults to suit. With '1C' recommended set your balance charge to 9 amps or 9.2 if you can. It's also recommended to not charge past 95% of capacity, so 4.15volts per cell as the target max, or for 6S that would be 24.9 volts. This preserves their longevity - you have less to worry about with over-peaking one of the cells.

"Safe charge to 2C" means you can safely charge at 18ah. I wouldn't do that unless you're in the field looking for a quick-charge. And your charger may not be able to output that much anyway.

Store at 45-55% of charge, or 3.8 per cell - 22.8 for 6S.Store at room temp - not freezing, not cooking. :)

I just went through all this with my 4S and 2S packs with my KINEXSIS KX80 charger - it's a terrific little charger.
Thanks for the reply, super clear.

I just did a 100% charge at 9.2amp tho i hope doing it once is not bad. I remember seeing in a vid but cant find it, but can i run the rc till the battery hits 60% or so and then charge it to 95% per cell and run it again? (battery is cold during charge and during RC use) or do you need to run it down lower before you can charge it?
Also, the balance charge did not seem to get the 3rd cell = to the others till they all hit 100% when i balanced charged from 60ish %, not sure if being 1-3% off is normal.

Where are you seeing a recommendation to not fully charge lipos to 4.2v per cell??? That is news to me!

a7099620-241-Lipoly%20Voltage%20vs.%20State%20of%20Charge%202S%20-%206S%20Packs.jpg

The idea is that maintain charge state between 20% and 95% with storage at 50% produces the most number of recharges or healthy battery condition. You can charge to 4.2 volt per cell but may shorten the life of the pack. Since they're fairly costly most want to get the most life they can out of them, and that last 5% is likely not to produce any benefits in running your car.

Thanks for the reply, super clear.

I just did a 100% charge at 9.2amp tho i hope doing it once is not bad. I remember seeing in a vid but cant find it, but can i run the rc till the battery hits 60% or so and then charge it to 95% per cell and run it again? (battery is cold during charge and during RC use) or do you need to run it down lower before you can charge it?
Also, the balance charge did not seem to get the 3rd cell = to the others till they all hit 100% when i balanced charged from 60ish %, not sure if being 1-3% off is normal.

It has been recommended to cycle a lipo battery 2 or 3 times on a charger when new - full charge then discharge and again before putting it in the RC model. The idea is to activate the cells in an even way without a lot of stress. Some tests have shown extended battery life by doing this as opposed to just running them and recharging them as you use them.

It is also important to store them at a 45-55% charge state, not fully charged and not fully discharged. So yes, you can run them in your car or put on the charger on a discharge cycle. Set your cell voltage to 3.8 for your target discharge voltage. Chargers also have a 'storage charge' cycle that balance charges them to the storage rate you set, if you're taking them out of use in a discharged state.

If you set your charger for a peak cell voltage of 4.15 on bal-charge it should taper off the charge rate until all of your cells are the same. You have to give it time to do this, to go fully through it's charge cycle. For a quick charge and use, or a recharge in the field, this isn't critical, and some charge at a full rate, like 2C to 10C, but 1C balance should be done on off-time and then discharged to storage voltage before letting them set. Lipos should be used within 24 hours once you fully charge them - bad idea to leave them at peak charge - they can puff, ignite, etc. Or simply weaken them to the point they won't hold a charge.

If you have a pack with one weak cell in it that won't balance I would return it to your source for exchange - it's a defective pack.

Oh, and esc's for lipo have a shut-off low-voltage setting- generally 3.7v. If you discharge a lipo cell below 3.4 volts most chargers won't charge them - notice when you implement a charge cycle the unit checks each cell in the pack. If it's too discharged it is considered defective - recharging it could cause a fire or explosion if it truely is. Lots of safety precautions built into smart lipo charger units.

Finally, yes, you can recharge a lipo after use and use it again. Unlike NiMH batteries, they should never get hot, they are much more efficient, and they don't have a charge memory like the older technologies. Nicds were really bad for that. If your lipo pack gets hot there's something really wrong with it - STOP!! :)

Last edited:
It is normal for a lipo to reach 110f. At 120 be pretty concerned. 140 and above you and all of your worldly possesions are in danger lol. Ive not had a lipo top 108f in hard bashing over the last 6 yrars.... And i temp my lipos every run.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back