Talion Should I get the new Talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xJumpManx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Senton 6s
I have a Fazon and a Typhon and a Slash 4x4. With the weather looking to change was thinking about getting a new RC Car anyone have any recommendations.

Thanks, xJumpManx

What kind of bashing do you do? Do you have a need you are wanting to fill, or just want something new?

I would expect the Talion to land (performance wise) between your Fazon and Typhon. It will have the go-anywhere bash ability of the Fazon, but with some of the handling / agility of the Typhon.

What kind of bashing do you do? Do you have a need you are wanting to fill, or just want something new?

I would expect the Talion to land (performance wise) between your Fazon and Typhon. It will have the go-anywhere bash ability of the Fazon, but with some of the handling / agility of the Typhon.
Mainly Just wanting something new. I will prolly hold off and maybe look round some classified sites seeing if somone is looking to part with some good rc vehicles at good costs for influx of Holiday cash.

Mainly Just wanting something new. I will prolly hold off and maybe look round some classified sites seeing if somone is looking to part with some good rc vehicles at good costs for influx of Holiday cash.

Why don't you get a kit? So mcuh satisfaction in choosing the motor, ESC, servo, sometimes wheels etc. and making it all happen yourself (ie not forgetting threalocker but also not bathing half the car in it like Arrma likes to do).

Kit is a great idea if you are looking for something new... Like maybe the Tekno Mt410. Or if you really want a truggy (like the Talion) the ET48.3. Or if you want to have the newest new thing, Proline just release their new 1/10 4x4 MT - looks like a 1/8 scale buggy in terms of toughness, but a bit smaller that outcast or MT410.

I ordered the Kraton today so many posters on here recommended I could not pass it up. Maybe Talion will be the next vehicle but thats a long ways away I have 5 arrma vehicles now.

I thought about the Kraton, but it doesn't do anything my Fazon doesn't. The Talion is like a bigger version of my Typhon, great handling but with much better jumping capability. The Kraton handles worse than my Fazon...

I just bought a V3 talion on 12/19 and i do not regret it! Gorgeous truck! The fazon and the talion are my two personal favorite rtr rc vehicles in appearance alone. Plus they are tough as heck and the talion for 2018 is a killer rig. The things arrma did for this year made it a really sweet rig in the handling department. The center of gravity is nice and low, just the way i like it! Also if you are looking for a bit more suspension travel just adjust the droop screws! arrma has them cranked down a bit out of the box and i beleive you can get a bit more down travel meaning better off road performance.

i have one also newbie also old man having fun what do you mean by the droop screws

I could not resist and just ordered a new V3 Talion. Although this will be my 3rd truggy (2 nitros before; 1 RTR and 1 Pro kit), this will be my 1st Arrma and 1st time trying 6S (I've only used 4S so far, in my Team Associated RIVAL MT). From what I've seen lately, if any RC company deserves my business, it's Arrma. Although I have only owned one Traxxas RC (4Tec 3.3 w/Subaru Sti body), you cannot even compare all plastic user Traxxas to Arrma using good quality aluminum parts throught their RC vehicles. I hope we all support Arrma as they may have to defend themselves in court with the bullies Traxxas suing them. Without a doubt, the last couple of years Arrma has proven to make great RC's that are durable, reasonably priced and just look great. Now they make an offroad basher that does 70mph out of the box. Really....

I think the designer for Arrma deserves a lot of credit as the V3 Talion looks stunning. I'm in and can't wait to see it, as I'm sure it will look even better in person. Aussie RC Playground videos I think does a good job selling Arrma's RC's, however, the videos that really sell Arrma's RC's to me, is Tp-Parts RC Xtreme (these are must see videos, as that dude can sure drive....). When you see the new Talion so composed even under extreme 6S power, it is amazing for an RTR, and it sure looks well balanced flying through the air.

I ordered 3 Lipo batteries: (2) Power Hobby 3S 11.1v 5200mAh (50C continuous, 100C burst) w/XT90 connectors (350g each) & (1) Zippy Compact 6S 22.2v 5000mAh (60C continuous, 70C burst) w/XT90 connector (830g). My 2 Power hobby 3S Lipos measure 138x46x27.5mm and my Zippy 6S Lipo measures 157x45x60mm, so should be a "good fit" in the Talion battery tray which measures 158x48x70mm. It will be interesting to see if much of a difference between them as the 2 PowerHobby 3S Lipos are lighter and have more C burst rating, but the 6S Zippy has slightly more continuous C rating. However, I will not be able to compare either the Powerhobby or Zippy with my 65C gensacearespammers I've been using in my MT, as I've only been running 4S so far, two 2S Lipos.

Although the stock DBoots Katar tire looks good, as an extra set, I wanted to get some Pro-Line Badlands, as I've been a big fan of the Moto-X tread design, durabilty, traction and simply put, they look mean. I debated putting the Badlands on DE Racing Speedline Plus truggy dish wheels in black (DE Racing claims it's the lightest 4.0" truggy wheel at only 58g, although Pro-line claims to have the lightest premounted truck/truggy wheel/tire/foam combo at only 177g), but I ended up ordering 4 Pro-line Badlands premounted on Desperado wheels. Pro-line advised me their 4.0" VTR truck wheel weighs .14lbs (I calculate this at 63.5grams approx) and Pro-line advised their Desperado wheels weigh .22lbs (about 100g). For 1 wheel this may not be a big difference, but calculating using a set of 4 wheels (difference of .06lbsx4), Pro-line Badlands on Desperado wheels should weigh nearly .24lbs (approx 108g), or nearly 1/4lb more than mounted on Pro-Line VTR wheels, and premounted Badlands would weigh even a more compared to using DE Racing wheels (approx 130g more). Importantly, this is also rotating mass, however, with 6S power, this .06lb extra weight on each corner, I believe will not make a big difference, especially when bashing on a very rough surface as this small extra weight should help keep the truggy on the ground, adding more stability (1/2" offset Desperado wheels willd make the new Talion 1" wider). Also the Badlands probably look better mounted on the 1/2" offset Desperado wheels compared to the dish wheels, anyways.

However, I was concerned about the 3.8" Badlands tire mounted on a zero offset wheel, as the Badlands is wider than the stock tires (2.72" width compared to Katar 2.24" width) and also slightly taller (5.85" compared to Katar 5.75") on a zero offset dish wheel and possibly rubbing against body when steering fully turned and front tires are ballooning under the extreme 6s power, which would not be a problem with 3.8" Badlands premounted on the 1/2" offset Desperado wheels. Although this does not look like a problem as Arrma member, LoRD.HoSTiLE has Badlands mounted on DE Racing wheels on his Talion. In other tire size comparison, regular truggy tires (eg Pro-Line Holeshots) are a bit smaller, around 5.52" tall, and 2.36" wide, compared to MT tires which are usually quite a bit larger such as; DBoots Backflips which are 6.8" tall, 3.0" wide, compared to my Rival MT tires which are 6.5" tall and 3.2" wide. Be careful if you decide to order 3.8" Badlands, as Pro-Line also has MX38 3.8" Badlands pre-mounted on F-11 wheels, as these tire are for MT's, have a different tread pattern, and are huge tires; 6.91" tall, 3.70" wide. I will be starting a thread on upgrading V3 Talion tires at a later date, so this information above is much more clear for everyone.

I also got a Tekno hardened 16T pinion which I will probably put in after only a couple of runs. Since this is a speed truggy, a 16T should be a good all around gearing for street, offroad, or anything else I throw at it...Using a 16T pinion, V3 Talion should have enough speed without running too warm. On a hot summer day, if truggy is running a bit warm with the heavier Badlands, I could always go back to the stock Katar tires, or even go down to a 15T pinion if necessary, but the 16T pinion should be good for all types of conditions.

Hope some of the above information helps others.

Can't wait for my new 2018 Arrma Talion. In the meantime, keep up the good work Arrma....

i have one also newbie also old man having fun what do you mean by the droop screws

pcpguy. I don't have my new Talion yet, but their are 4 droop screws total and they are usually located on each of the lower A-arms, near the inner hinge pins. When you adjust them from the upside of the lower A-arms, you will see them protruding through the bottom of the arm and the more you turn them in (downwards) you will notice the droop screws pressing against the chassis frame slowly raising the lower arms upwards limiting the downtravel/droop.

Droop screws are also referred as downtravel. It can greatly affect the handling, the way an RC jumps, lands corners, and flips or doesn't flip. Down-travel is the basically the difference between ride height and the maximum height the chassis can be lifted, with the tires still touching the ground. It can be a very critical setup, so be careful adjusting them too much. I've heard in some cases, if you do not have any droop (droop screws turned all the way up), some shocks can be damaged (not sure if this could happen w/Talion though?), as the droop screws would not be limiting the down travel which maybe past the shocks actual downtravel, so the suspension may go past the shocks downtravel (travel length).

However, costwaytoys.com reviewed the new 2018 V3 Talion, and their comment on adjusting the droop screws are quote "The Talion comes with a droop adjustment screw in each a-arm. This is a great (and fast) way of making ride height adjustments while out bashing." Unquote. I know for racing on tracks, this is a critical adjustment to make, however, for bashing, adjusting the droop screws maybe a quick and easy way to raise the V3 Talion's suspension for more offroad clearance.

For more ground clearance for offroading, taller tires would be a very easy way to accomplish this. Another option is just adjusting all 4 shock collars, but keep in mind, the suspension/shocks will become stiffer the further the collars are adjusted, so should only adjust so far (set the ride height to bones level) would be good for offroading and jumping. Since the V3 Talion comes with the ride height (suspension) adjusted extremely low for high speed road runs, adjusting the ride height to bones level with a bit bigger tires will make a big difference for ground clearance when offroading.

Also could try adding stiffer springs and using thicker oil in shocks, but this will not add more ground clearance necessarily (depends on the pre-load), but it will help truggy not bottoming out so much (you do want a bit though) when landing from the big jumps. Careful going too stiff of springs or too thick of oil on the shocks, as the truggy could become somewhat bouncy. Changing the shock positions on the shock towers may also give a bit more ground clearance, but this will also have an affect on the suspension. The aftermarket shock towers usually have more shock position holes which may also add a bit more clearance?

Hope some of this information helps.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back