Shock cover diy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justatree

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
I found this idea on YouTube but some people were against it... using a balloon as a shock cover, tried it out myself, tell me if it is a good idea or bad please

I did this since it cost me about $2

Here it is:
IMG_20160612_190034.jpg

I used a bike tire innertube, it actually adds a little stiffness to the springs so you know though.

Pretty good idea. I seen some people use heat shrink for a cover but that is flexible enough! I like this on but I think It should be under the spring and not over it!

Pretty good idea. I seen some people use heat shrink for a cover but that is flexible enough! I like this on but I think It should be under the spring and not over it!
went to walmart and picked up a pack of 12 assorted color balloons and out on the colors, if you do this make sure you practice with the color you don't want first.

I wonder how you do the under thing... do I have to zip tie it or something?

What size of bike innertube did you used?
I honestly do not remember. I measured the width of springs. Then went to a small bike shop near here. Asked them if I could buy some old damaged inner tubes. And got a couple near the same size as I measured. I remember using the larger of the ones I got. Cost me like $1 or two.

I honestly do not remember. I measured the width of springs. Then went to a small bike shop near here. Asked them if I could buy some old damaged inner tubes. And got a couple near the same size as I measured. I remember using the larger of the ones I got. Cost me like $1 or two.
Can we see a picture please?

I also forgot to mention it was on my Talion. But here are pics.

IMAG0144.jpg IMAG0143.jpg

Cut a little longer then the spring and wrapped around the top/bottom of spring. Only one ever came out and ended up torn. Replaced and never had a problem again.

I also forgot to mention it was on my Talion. But here are pics.

View attachment 1992 View attachment 1993

I went by the bike shop last night and checked out a couple of their inner tubes for fit on the stock springs. I ended up with a 1-3/8 thru 1-3/4 tube. It took some work to get the spring in there but once I got it in it looks sweet. I will say it stiffened the spring by about 30%. I haven't done all four or run on them yet, but you can tell it's stiffer. I am wondering if this is an alternative to having to buy aftermarket springs or replacing the oil.

I was wondering though, because we completely wrapped the spring in rubber, and then cap both the bottom and top. Does air pressure inside come into play? Would a razor slit or a couple pin holes in the rubber be a good idea?

I think I may run this same idea on my Wolf, as those springs are pretty squishy. I can report results for that on Monday, but the Kraton is supposed to be a X-mas present for me. So technically I'm not supposed to be running it.

So I finished putting the inner tubes over the springs on my Wolf. I really like the added stiffness it gives the shocks. I knew I wanted to stiffen then, but hadn't found the time to replace the oil, or buy new springs. I may try it out on the Kraton, but Since I have to swap the oil in the Diffs anyway, I'll go a head and do the shocks too. I am thinking about the balloon spring Idea in the original post, for the Kraton, but I need to find some cool colors. Maybe the Rocket Balloons would be good for a splash of color.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IE624Z0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A18UZ8OJII3VEM

Back when the original HPI Savage first came out, there was a guy on eBay selling shock covers made of some kind of spandex. All different colors sewn into tubes to fit on the shocks. They worked really well and could be washed when they got dirty. They didn't change shock or spring rates at all because they were so flexible and you could peel them back to check the shocks for leakage and damage.

I think I may run this same idea on my Wolf, as those springs are pretty squishy. I can report results for that on Monday, but the Kraton is supposed to be a X-mas present for me. So technically I'm not supposed to be running it.

LOL same here though it is for my son as I'm still running my firestorm which after changing the esc and motor runs pretty sweet on 2S.

Looking at shock cover it seems a few have also used the fingers of latex gloves (but less choice in colours) and i suppose we could use washing up gloves (a bit stiffer than latex ones but not at stiff as a bike inner tube). All good ideas and cheap effective solution which I like.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back