Kraton Replacement kraton shocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about doing the same but I held off on that idea for now. Do you want to race it or bash it ? I know it does have optional steel spur and the center diff split mounts are available in 7075 aluminum !!! rather than the regular 6061.

Just looking for the strongest basher money can buy. We usually run on a private motocross track that's pretty hard on the Arrma's. We've had as many as 6 Kratons and Talions flying through the air and have definitely found their limits. My Kraton is pretty built up and does very respectable job, but it took bracing, shocks, servo, wheels/tires, etc to get it there, but the diffs are still giving me headaches. Snapping sun gears in half, shattering pins, and shearing outdrives where the pin goes through. I could keep fighting it or just upgrade to a stronger platform.

Yeah... you got to keep me posted on how it does. Very interested in that vehicle also. I really like that brand.

OK, so I got my shocks and pistons in. Tracking says my Stand offs came in too, but I didn't see them in the mail. I still have work to do on my 1/18th, so I am not sure I can do the shocks this week, but I'll let yall know as soon as I do. They do look sweet though.

OK, so I got my shocks and pistons in. Tracking says my Stand offs came in too, but I didn't see them in the mail. I still have work to do on my 1/18th, so I am not sure I can do the shocks this week, but I'll let yall know as soon as I do. They do look sweet though.

Right on! Let us know how they assembly and install goes. Don't forget the pictures! ;-)

Broke the two front shocks right where the bottom thread starts, bad head dive.
I'm going to try mounting the MT4 rear shocks rods, i will let you know if it works.
Must get the front bumper asap.

I was able to get the front shocks assembled, but not enough time to get them on the car. I am hoping to get the rear assembled and both sets installed tonight. I still need my battery straps, to show up before I can properly test the shocks anyway.

Looking at the bag of pieces, I thought it would be much more difficult to get them together. I just laid everything out into 2 rows of parts and using a bunch of Green Slime, stacked everything up and filled em full of 80wt. I only have the 4 hole pistons, and with 80 wt, I might be a little stiff, but we'll see how it goes. I can tell you all 1 thing for sure. These things look sweet! and the motion is as smooth as butter.

1 question I do need answered as I may have to go back and start over on the fronts. The pistons I ordered were labled as FLAT/FLAT, but on side is clearly flat, and the other side is angled toward the edge. Which side faces up? I put the angled side up, but I am second guessing myself.

1 question I do need answered as I may have to go back and start over on the fronts. The pistons I ordered were labled as FLAT/FLAT, but on side is clearly flat, and the other side is angled toward the edge. Which side faces up? I put the angled side up, but I am second guessing myself.

I've done a lot of shock tuning and experimenting with the Kraton platform. The stock piston holes are 6 hole x 1.4mm. With those the max usable fluid in the rear was 70wt, but last night I actually dropped back to 60wt rear. I dropped the front by 10wt as well, to 80wt. Anything over that with the stock piston area mention above is just too much pack. It's really just hammering on the lower A-arms at that point, bending and breaking them were the shock mounts, and the ride was stiff as a honeymoon prick.

Here are my favorite pistons to date, even run them in the Tekno shocks. The 1.4mm piston matches stock, which makes the transition easier.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/xray-delrin-v3-shock-piston-set-6x1.2-1.3-1.4mm-6-xra358033/p227265

Picture of correct piston taper orientation below...
11412153_1107013876030959_6160256603429029274_o.jpg

Crap, my piston is upside down. The 4 holes in the teckno piston are 1.9mm each which is 7.6mm in total diameter and the pistons in the stock have a total hole diameter of 8.4mm. I am not getting into doing the math for total area of the holes, but I can see that these will be stiffer than the stock with this set up. I think I am going to need to swap the oil out for 60wt. I am going to run it, and see, and will let you know how I come out on the other end. " Edited to show that while my math is right, for the diameter, I am wrong regarding the area. My new pistons do have more hole area and therefore should be a bit softer"

So I hit up the Tekno support email, asking the same questions and they got back to me with the same answer on the piston. However they also gave me a link to a youtube video that shows how to build their shocks. There is a quick pop up in the video that shows the flat side up for smooth conditions and the tapered side up for rough conditions. Considering I already have 2 of them done with the tapered side up, I think I'll continue that way and test it. If it's no bueno, then I'll flip it over. Here is the link to the video

Last edited:
Crap, my piston is upside down. The 4 holes in the teckno piston are 1.9mm each which is 7.6mm in total diameter and the pistons in the stock have a total hole diameter of 8.4mm. I am not getting into doing the math for total area of the holes, but I can see that these will be stiffer than the stock with this set up. I think I am going to need to swap the oil out for 60wt. I am going to run it, and see, and will let you know how I come out on the other end.

So I hit up the Tekno support email, asking the same questions and they got back to me with the same answer on the piston. However they also gave me a link to a youtube video that shows how to build their shocks. There is a quick pop up in the video that shows the flat side up for smooth conditions and the tapered side up for rough conditions. Considering I already have 2 of them done with the tapered side up, I think I'll continue that way and test it. If it's no bueno, then I'll flip it over. Here is the link to the video

I got mine the other day. I got a different kit apparently. Mine came with pistons. I suppose I should have measured the holes but there were 10 of them in each piston. Sorry the picture isn't great but you can see the holes on one of them.

As for yours the total area for the tekno pistons @ 1.9mm x 4 holes is 11.34 square mm. The total area for stock @ 1.4mm x 6 holes is 9.24 square mm.
I am not sure about the fluid dynamics for the shock fluid but if it is directly proportional to the total area of the holes then those should be softer than stock.

I got the full option shocks, that come with CNC cut Derlin inserts. and the Coated shafts. So everything was loose in my kit, and not on a plastic tree. You are correct about the hole area being larger with my new pistons. I guess I should have done the math.

I got the full option shocks, that come with CNC cut Derlin inserts. and the Coated shafts. So everything was loose in my kit, and not on a plastic tree. You are correct about the hole area being larger with my new pistons. I guess I should have done the math.
What are the derlin inserts? Mine did have a plastic tree with the pistons, guides, and bottom caps but the kit also came with aluminum top and bottom caps. My main complaint is I didn't get the coated shafts.
EDIT: Nevermind I googled the inserts

The plastic pieces that you stack in the bottom of the shock, with the O-rings. Those are not black plastic, but White derlin. I guess it’s supposed to be smoother and self lubing. Also there is no flashing to trim, because they are CNC cut. You can order the coated shafts, but they are like $20 a pair

Crap, my piston is upside down. The 4 holes in the teckno piston are 1.9mm each which is 7.6mm in total diameter and the pistons in the stock have a total hole diameter of 8.4mm. I am not getting into doing the math for total area of the holes, but I can see that these will be stiffer than the stock with this set up. I think I am going to need to swap the oil out for 60wt. I am going to run it, and see, and will let you know how I come out on the other end. " Edited to show that while my math is right, for the diameter, I am wrong regarding the area. My new pistons do have more hole area and therefore should be a bit softer"

Wow !!!

Dang it!.... I ordered the stand offs for the new Tekno shocks, but I did not order the bushings or the proper nuts. So now that my shocks are all put together, they can't be used until next week. Feeling like a duffus right now. I guess I should go try my hand at tapping a 3/8 inch aluminum rod for a tower to tower brace.

So I got the bushings and Nuts for the Tekno shocks. I had to drill out the holes so the standoffs would fit. They are much thicker and look to be a stronger part. I know the stock stand offs were all bent up, when I took them off. Anyway, the shocks are working well, and look nice. Super Smooth action and no leaks after 20 minutes at the Skate Park, this AM. I'll have to see if I can get a picture up here.

Last edited:
When browsing the Tekno site, seach PARTS (by Vehicle) and choose the ET48.3
I got the full option shocks and the 4 hole derlin Pistons.

Get some Team Ass green Slime, it really helps with assembly.

Anytime,

I would be interested in the Durango shocks, but no-one has ever sent a link for them.

Back