R.I.P Transmission Gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMightyAtom

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
Has anyone else had to replace their Granite BLX transmission more than once? I originally stripped my plastic transmission gears two months ago, after I put some Pro-Line Super Swampers on. My mistake, in not loosening the slipper clutch enough to accommodate the new tires.

But since then, I've now converted my Granite BLX to the old pre-2014 metal transmission, loosened the slipper clutch quite a bit, and put the original tires back on.

And I just stripped another set of metal transmission gears tonight. Even with the looser slipper clutch.

Is it just bad luck on my part? Am I doing something wrong here? This wasn't happening during my first two months of ownership.

Curious to know if any other Granite BLX owners have had the same issue repeatedly.

How did the bearings look? The only time i have had internal gear damage (on a pre-2014 truck) is with a bearing failure. And even that was minor, just the idler had to get replaced.

It might help to limit the down travel of your shocks some. I think sometimes in these cases, the dog bones are getting bound up which puts extra stress on the transmission gears. I have been racing a brushless Fury with the stock composite gear box without any issues. I did limit the down travel of the shocks with some 3 mm thick spaces but everything else is stock.

Also, when setting the slipper, start off really loose, then slowly tighten about 1/8 of a turn at a time until you get a good launch without the rear tires spinning out under a hard acceleration. It also helps use a soft to medium punch setting on the esc.

Best regards,
Brian

How did the bearings look? The only time i have had internal gear damage (on a pre-2014 truck) is with a bearing failure. And even that was minor, just the idler had to get replaced.

The first time this happened, I did have a bearing explode. But the second and third times, the bearings were fine.

It might help to limit the down travel of your shocks some. I think sometimes in these cases, the dog bones are getting bound up which puts extra stress on the transmission gears. I have been racing a brushless Fury with the stock composite gear box without any issues. I did limit the down travel of the shocks with some 3 mm thick spaces but everything else is stock.

Also, when setting the slipper, start off really loose, then slowly tighten about 1/8 of a turn at a time until you get a good launch without the rear tires spinning out under a hard acceleration. It also helps use a soft to medium punch setting on the esc.

Best regards,
Brian

OK, good idea with the shocks. I can check that out and give it a shot.

As far as the slipper clutch goes though --- have you ever had a problem with the clutch pads burning up quickly? Because there were a couple times when I thought I had the slipper clutch set well, and I ended up smoking the pads.

I haven't had that problem with the slipper clutch pads burning up. When you change the slipper pads be sure that you clean the slipper plates as well. If you have an infrared temp gun, then you can check the outside slipper plate temps just to be sure it isn't overheating due to it being set too loose. Ideally, the slipper plate temp should be within 20 degrees of the temperature outside. So if it's 80 degrees outside, the slipper plate should get any hotter than 100 degrees. If it is, then the slipper is too loose and you will burn up the pads.

Also, I don't know if it helps but I am using a slightly thicker 3mm washer than the stock one on the slipper shaft. I figured it would help to keep more even pressure on the spring.

Best regards,
Brian

Are you jumping the truck? If you land on throttle then you can kiss your trans gears goodbye, I had one on throttle landing with my nitro Firestorm and the trans was done. Had to replace 2 of the 3 gears inside the transmission.

I haven't had that problem with the slipper clutch pads burning up. When you change the slipper pads be sure that you clean the slipper plates as well. If you have an infrared temp gun, then you can check the outside slipper plate temps just to be sure it isn't overheating due to it being set too loose. Ideally, the slipper plate temp should be within 20 degrees of the temperature outside. So if it's 80 degrees outside, the slipper plate should get any hotter than 100 degrees. If it is, then the slipper is too loose and you will burn up the pads.

Also, I don't know if it helps but I am using a slightly thicker 3mm washer than the stock one on the slipper shaft. I figured it would help to keep more even pressure on the spring.

Best regards,
Brian

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind.

Are you jumping the truck? If you land on throttle then you can kiss your trans gears goodbye, I had one on throttle landing with my nitro Firestorm and the trans was done. Had to replace 2 of the 3 gears inside the transmission.

Nah, my Granite doesn't see any air. Just ripping around and doing burnouts and the like.

It doesn't seem anywhere near tough enough to handle regular jumping.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind.

Nah, my Granite doesn't see any air. Just ripping around and doing burnouts and the like.

It doesn't seem anywhere near tough enough to handle regular jumping.
It will handle jumping just fine, it's the landings that you have to worry about lol

I have a castle brushless 4600kv and Sidewinder3 esc with pro line mashers in the rear,running a 7200mah 2s 60c and I just shredded my tranny doing burnouts I haven't opened it up yet though!

Yep Shredded 2/3 of the gear in the middle of the tranny,and what is it I have the Pre-2014 BLX with metal gears. So i replaced the gear and performed all maintenance gear lube,rear end and so on. Blasted around not even 5mins, I think I blew a bearing!FML

Yep Shredded 2/3 of the gear in the middle of the tranny,and what is it I have the Pre-2014 BLX with metal gears. So i replaced the gear and performed all maintenance gear lube,rear end and so on. Blasted around not even 5mins, I think I blew a bearing!FML

I've lost the tranny before due to a blown bearing, so I feel your pain.

I solved the problem by buying a Proline Pro-MT 4x4 instead. ;)

If their bearings are anything like their screws be prepared to be disappointed.
On a side note my order finally shipped. Yay.

Stainless steel is softer than the steel they use in the stock screws. And they are easy to strip.

It says their supposed to be harder then the stock steel!

Direct from Google.
"It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. ... Therefore, when compared to regular steel, the stainless alloys used in bolts are slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel screw but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners."
The stock screws are usually a 12.9 grade black oxide steel.

Direct from Google.
"It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. ... Therefore, when compared to regular steel, the stainless alloys used in bolts are slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel screw but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners."
The stock screws are usually a 12.9 grade black oxide steel.

FML,FML,FML,FML,FML,FML,FML,FML,FML!

They do offer a full warranty if you don't like them they will give you a full refund!Pain in my ass!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back