Kraton Product request - 4 mm thick chassis plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_7046.JPG IMG_7047.JPG IMG_7048.JPG IMG_7049.JPG IMG_7050.JPG IMG_7051.JPG

This is good Skidplates! also gives a strength to weakest spot off the chassis.... to the rear (Aft. Deck)
45 Euros. I recomend.

But...I still think they still need to put the chassis plate to 4 mm Thickness.... Definitely!!!!

3mm milled chassis is stronger than a 4mm flat chassis.

How is that even possible?! the 3mm chassis is More flexible....For sure.... weaker!
But definitely... And i think.... the 4mm is be stronger and stiffer... For sure...and i already see in this tread that people also think like that!

How is that even possible?! the 3mm chassis is More flexible....For sure.... weaker!
But definitely... And i think.... the 4mm is be stronger and stiffer... For sure...and i already see in this tread that people also think like that!

I think he's suggesting that for a milled chassis, its possible to include stiffening ribs or possibly other stiffening features. These could make a 3 mm thick chassis stiffer and lighter than a 4 mm thick chassis. I'm not sure that I fully agree with this idea though. A key shortcoming is that any stiffening ribs would have to stop short of the gearbox cases thereby making that transitional area subject to greater flex. Would be interesting to finite element model it. Its amazingly easy to do that kind of thing these days.

Most milled aluminum parts are made from 7k-series aluminum alloys. Most stamped aluminum parts are made from 6k-series aluminum alloys. The 7k alloys are much stiffer, and therefore can be milled for weight savings and still be very strong. if you mill a 6k chassis, you will get a wet noodle.

What he probably meant -
3mm 7k alloy milled chassis is stronger than a 4mm 6k alloy flat chassis.

But also worth point out - a 4mm 6k stamped flat chassis would be much cheaper then a milled 3mm 7k chassis.

Where is @gregmbrandt, or the @Voltage Hobbies? They could shed some light on this.

Last edited:
Most milled aluminum parts are made from 7k-series aluminum alloys. Most stamped aluminum parts are made from 6k-series aluminum alloys. The 7k alloys are much stiffer, and therefore can be milled for weight savings and still be very strong. if you mill a 6k chassis, you will get a wet noodle.

What he probably meant -

But also worth point out - a 4mm 6k stamped flat chassis would be much cheaper then a milled 3mm 7k chassis.

Where is @gregmbrandt, or the @Voltage Hobbies? They could shed some light on this.
Voltage just responded to a question I had last night about a possible.full length skip plate they had mentioned. They said they decided against that and will be doing a upgraded cnc aluminum chassis in 2018. unfortunately no mention of 3mm or 4mm..

Great news!

All of Voltages's stuff is 7k alloy, so I would expect the chassis to be the same. 3mm milled 7k would be a big improvement over the stock chassis. Going to 4mm would require a new screw kit for everything that bolts the chassis.

Probably worth noting that those folks that bash that ThomasP or Rich Superdash will still need tower to tower braces - those 20' high 50' jumps are just plain brutal.

Edit -

From the man himself -
Front and rear skid plates from Voltage Hobbies

Last edited:

What he probably meant -

I don't know what Al alloy people use for stamped products, but the comment about milled parts being mostly made from 7-series Al is not correct. 6061 and 7075 are both extremely common for making machined Al components across various industries. Its more a question of strength and cost requirements. And the difference between the two materials is not stiffness but strength. The modulus of elasticity of both materials is only very slightly different. However, when put into deformation, 6061-T6 will take a permanent set at a lower applied load than 7075-T6.

An interesting question is whether ARRMA aluminum parts are made from 6061-T6. My guess is that they are not.

Probably worth noting that those folks that bash that ThomasP or Rich Superdash will still need tower to tower braces - those 20' high 50' jumps are just plain brutal.

I probably should let Rich speak for himself, but in a recent conversation with him, he mentioned that he's trying to move away from T-to-T braces and instead rely on uprated factory braces.

I don't know what Al alloy people use for stamped products, but the comment about milled parts being mostly made from 7-series Al is not correct. 6061 and 7075 are both extremely common for making machined Al components across various industries. Its more a question of strength and cost requirements. And the difference between the two materials is not stiffness but strength. The modulus of elasticity of both materials is only very slightly different. However, when put into deformation, 6061-T6 will take a permanent set at a lower applied load than 7075-T6.

An interesting question is whether ARRMA aluminum parts are made from 6061-T6. My guess is that they are not.

I probably should let Rich speak for himself, but in a recent conversation with him, he mentioned that he's trying to move away from T-to-T braces and instead rely on uprated factory braces.

Point taken. My Milled vs stamped was talking about RC parts, I should have noted that. Most all racing kits use milled 7k alloys, most RTR's use stamped parts that are 6k alloy. I don't know what Hot Racing and GKA mills, but most of the Voltage parts I have looked at are 7k.

Voltage just responded to a question I had last night about a possible.full length skip plate they had mentioned. They said they decided against that and will be doing a upgraded cnc aluminum chassis in 2018. unfortunately no mention of 3mm or 4mm..

This is the best news i'v heard all day ! CANNOT wait for a VH chassis for the Kraton.

It was the very first thing that caught my eyes opening the talion v2 and giving it a look.. It's realy thin. 4mm would be good, My previous RTR truggy had 4mm chassie, Some 8 years ago, and that thing never budged... I fear for the one i have atm, Maybe an hop up option with the few screws for the bottom and 4mm chassie would be awsome to have. But then again there is probably a reason for arrma to choose alu type and thickness?

Wonder how much it'd cost to get some 7k series aluminum @6mm thick and have someone Mill out 2mm deep channels in it spaced a quarter inch apart then drill some counter sunk holes on that plate to line up with the stock chassis.

At some point the weight factor, begins to over shadow the toughness factor. I'm not sure what you guys are doing to your cars, but my chassis is still straight, and they are only like $15 from and Ebay chop shop. Now that I said that I may as well order one, because my bent chassis is right around the corner.

At some point the weight factor, begins to over shadow the toughness factor. I'm not sure what you guys are doing to your cars, but my chassis is still straight, and they are only like $15 from and Ebay chop shop. Now that I said that I may as well order one, because my bent chassis is right around the corner.
Now they are almost $30.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back