Outcast Outcast Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raji

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have the Outcast for less than a month. I had some problems.
  • The Servo Gears Striped. So I replaced the servo. I install new servo mounting from hot racing.
  • I lost the rear shock retainer I replace it and tying it with fishing string.
  • Now one of the Pinion Gear teeth is broken.
  • Also, the rear Dogbone is bent.
My Questions:
  • Am I Driving it very hard?
  • Is the blastic chase brace caused Dogbone to bent?
  • -Any comments on the problems to avoid it again?!

Thank you in Advance

If you bent a dogbones you might have a binding issue or you had a nasty wreck that tweaked the suspension? I used to bent the dogbones on my yeti all the time in the front from wrecking to much oops...
The pinion gears are a known weak link from arrma you should get some Robinson racing ones that will fix that problem.
What shock retainer did you lose? The little bushing in the top of the shock? That might be why you bent a dogbone honestly. Also these chassis are known to flex with plastic brace you cn upgrade to the hotracing if you want I will be doing this very soon honestly. Servo gears strip also that's just going to happen did you by chance tighten the servo saver? If so it might be to tight.
Bashing in general is hard on any rig but so far this thing feels like a tank!
Repair replace and bash on my friend

If you bent a dogbones you might have a binding issue or you had a nasty wreck that tweaked the suspension? I used to bent the dogbones on my yeti all the time in the front from wrecking to much oops...
The pinion gears are a known weak link from arrma you should get some Robinson racing ones that will fix that problem.
What shock retainer did you lose? The little bushing in the top of the shock? That might be why you bent a dogbone honestly. Also these chassis are known to flex with plastic brace you cn upgrade to the hotracing if you want I will be doing this very soon honestly. Servo gears strip also that's just going to happen did you by chance tighten the servo saver? If so it might be to tight.
Bashing in general is hard on any rig but so far this thing feels like a tank!
Repair replace and bash on my friend

-There is no tweaked suspension.
-''pinion gears are a known weak link from arrma'' Interesting
-The shock retainer is the rounded blastic that hold the springs - check the picture
-I'm thinking also to upgrade the chassis brace to the hot racing one it seems very durable.
-the servo saver still factory setup. I stript the second servo today I think I will go with Savox check the link. I think you will like it also.
http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SA1230SG_Digital_Servo_p/savsa1230sg.htm

Yeah, it is really fun to play with. I love it.

Everything you mentioned is fairly common. Minus the dog bone.

You may right. But I did not play in it that much. I thought it may sustain longer.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 27
Ive had my outcast a few months...
Had one session where nothing broke. The rest.....
Stripped a servo, bent a front dog bone big time, bent 4 shock shafts and broken 2 in half. Gone the a few shock ends... Stripped 2 teeth off the rear diff gear, had my pinion come off.. Had the screws from my steering rack come out, broken body mounts, had the rpm rip off and the stock bumper has done the same...
Most if not all have been from bad 20/30 foot landings...
Just keep fixing it and keep bashing :D

Ive had my outcast a few months...
Had one session where nothing broke. The rest.....
Stripped a servo, bent a front dog bone big time, bent 4 shock shafts and broken 2 in half. Gone the a few shock ends... Stripped 2 teeth off the rear diff gear, had my pinion come off.. Had the screws from my steering rack come out, broken body mounts, had the rpm rip off and the stock bumper has done the same...
Most if not all have been from bad 20/30 foot landings...
Just keep fixing it and keep bashing :D

hhhhhh It is always good to find someone worse than you. :D

So I think I am not alone.:p

On 4s I blew out one of my Backflip tires, ripped right where it attaches to the rim, bent both front axles, and both front shock shafts. On 6s I broke the front chassis brace, front bulkhead, bent the chassis, broke a rear shock shaft, broke 2 shock pistons, broke a rear a arm, stripped the stock servo, stripped all the body mounts, stripped teeth off both stock Arrma pinions, snapped the rear front hinge pin brace in half and broke two rear bulkheads. This was my first 1/8 scale vehicle that has this much power it has been quite the learning experience.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, because I fit this description too. But I bet most of these laundry lists of breakages and repairs are due to driver error. I would not have had 1 breakage had I landed all my jumps on all four wheels, and had not run into things that don't move. And maybe I should have slowed down a bit more when entering a few corners, the traction roll can turn into 40 yards of cartwheels, pretty quick. I have several other cars that would have been full on salvage projects had I crashed half as often or tried half the stuff I have with the Kraton. And for you guys who grabbed the Outcast before the Kraton, well you got all the power, but that shorter wheel base makes things a bit more squirrelly. I know I broke more from error early on, and now I can go for multiple packs with out a breakage. Until I decide that a double back flip out of the skatepark is a good idea. I guess if you throw any 10 lb rc car off a 25 foot ledge and don't land on the wheels it's gonna break. And many would break even if you did land on all fours.

Anyway, half the fun of this hobby is working on the cars. And since you gotta break em to work on em, we may as well go out there and find new ways to break am.

Last edited:
Not pointing fingers at anyone, because I fit this description too. But I bet most of these laundry lists of breakages and repairs are due to driver error. I would not have had 1 breakage had I landed all my jumps on all four wheels, and had not run into things that don't move. And maybe I should have slowed down a bit more when entering a few corners, the traction roll can turn into 40 yards of cartwheels, pretty quick. I have several other cars that would have been full on salvage projects had I crashed half as often or tried half the stuff I have with the Kraton. And for you guys who grabbed the Outcast before the Kraton, well you got all the power, but that shorter wheel base makes things a bit more squirrelly. I know I broke more from error early on, and now I can go for multiple packs with out a breakage. Until I decide that a double back flip out of the skatepark is a good idea. I guess if you throw any 10 lb rc car off a 25 foot ledge and don't land on the wheels it's gonna break. And many would break even if you did land on all fours.

Anyway, half the fun of this hobby is working on the cars. And since you gotta break em to work on em, we may as well go out there and find new ways to break am.

I agree with you. It is my first 1/8 Sc truck for me and has decent power. I think most of my breakages because of diving errors.

hhhhhh It is always good to find someone worse than you. :D

So I think I am not alone.:p
Haha... Yep!!
Besides a few bent bits and a gear or two my kraton and typhon have been good... But the outcast just likes to break on me :rolleyes:

On the upside my mate destoys his kraton everytime we go out so i have someone worse than me too :D

Can't blame Arrma for driver error. Can blame them for the pinion, thats just ridiculous that they can't use a better pinion. Include a robinson or Tekno in the kits if you can't source one that won't break. Can blame them for the sway bar mount that is not made for an 1/8th scale car.

Not sure what you guys are doing to this thing to destroy it so badly. We've broken some parts for sure, but my son beats this truck pretty well including standing backflips over and over. The hardest part I'm having is stopping the pinion from coming loose every run.

Can't blame Arrma for driver error. Can blame them for the pinion, thats just ridiculous that they can't use a better pinion. Include a robinson or Tekno in the kits if you can't source one that won't break. Can blame them for the sway bar mount that is not made for an 1/8th scale car.

Not sure what you guys are doing to this thing to destroy it so badly. We've broken some parts for sure, but my son beats this truck pretty well including standing backflips over and over. The hardest part I'm having is stopping the pinion from coming loose every run.

Jumping them 30 foot high will bend things... Thats what i do with mine.

Funny part is while i do have a 14t robinson pinion on my outcast i stll have my stock 14 on the typhon and the arrma 14t on my kraton. Both been on for a year without a problem....

Don't buy Hot Racing braces get the from GKA RC Parts Greg is active on here and his parts are VERY well made.
His replacement servo mount is a must. He is also producing A arm hangers that mount to the rear diff case, I'd get some of those too.
Get shock towers from Voltage hobbies.
And a Robinson Racing Pinion Mod1 or a Tekno Pinion, I believe they have a bigger allen screw.
I've broken many rear shock eyelets from what I think is suspension over extension. I'm running T-bone rear bumpers now to try and help this problem. Its too soon to tell if it has helped. I have these on my Outcast and Kraton.

Hey, if you ain't breakin nothin, you ain't driving it hard enough! LOL. I've only stripped a pinion on mine so far. Now my Typhon on the other hand...... I drive the crap out of it. Bent the front shock tower and messed up a lot of stuff on the front suspension. Cracked the upper A arm the last time I had it out. Flipped it on some sand at the beach. You know you're driving like you stole it if you flip on sand and manage to break something.

Don't buy Hot Racing braces get the from GKA RC Parts Greg is active on here and his parts are VERY well made.
His replacement servo mount is a must. He is also producing A arm hangers that mount to the rear diff case, I'd get some of those too.
Get shock towers from Voltage hobbies.
And a Robinson Racing Pinion Mod1 or a Tekno Pinion, I believe they have a bigger allen screw.
I've broken many rear shock eyelets from what I think is suspension over extension. I'm running T-bone rear bumpers now to try and help this problem. Its too soon to tell if it has helped. I have these on my Outcast and Kraton.

Thank you for your advice
Which model of T-bone rear bumper did you have?
Also is the bumper short so you can do wheelies?
Do you think this one will fit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121761873967

Thanks again.

Breaking and fixing is part of launching little mechanical things off big jumps. Arrma are tougher than most RTR level RC available out of the box, especially for the value price. Look through the forums and quickly see what everyone is doing to upgrade things so they don't break next time. Even Arrma is paying attention and implementing many hardening improvements in the latest V3 machines. Thicker servo brace and chassis braces, thicker shock shafts, better battery tray (came on Outcast originally), and a few more things. Of course, aftermarket parts and home brew fixes abound as well. I highly recommend investing $10 in a RR pinion and Tekno shocks if you can afford them. $14 RPM front bumper has saved plenty of damage for sure! The only other weakness that has not been addressed by Arrma is the flimsy shock towers, which have carbon or harder alloy replacements available.

PS: never bent a dogbone

Breaking and fixing is part of launching little mechanical things off big jumps. Arrma are tougher than most RTR level RC available out of the box, especially for the value price. Look through the forums and quickly see what everyone is doing to upgrade things so they don't break next time. Even Arrma is paying attention and implementing many hardening improvements in the latest V3 machines. Thicker servo brace and chassis braces, thicker shock shafts, better battery tray (came on Outcast originally), and a few more things. Of course, aftermarket parts and home brew fixes abound as well. I highly recommend investing $10 in a RR pinion and Tekno shocks if you can afford them. $14 RPM front bumper has saved plenty of damage for sure! The only other weakness that has not been addressed by Arrma is the flimsy shock towers, which have carbon or harder alloy replacements available.

PS: never bent a dogbone

I was upset in the beginning. But I found out that I am breaking the weakness. Now I'm Having Really Fun With it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back