New to Arrma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaNero

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hi everyone,

Just received this beast. New Nero BLX w/ Diff Brain along with recommend Onyx 3s 5400mah 50c batteries. Looking for suggestions, tips, tricks before first run. What should i look over before running, what parts need to stocked up on as far as common failures? Charger is in the mail. I ordered the Venom pro duo charger. What's the recommended aftermarket bumper? I know there's the T bone but some people are having issues with it acting like a shovel. So many question, can't wait for first run! I also have the Arrma wheelie bar.

20170519_190621.jpg

20170519_191254.jpg

The shocks come mounted in the far outside holes, move them to the third hole from the outside. If you don't, they will bind and brake. But extra rod ends, they will brake often. A tip to make them last longer, when installing new ends, use shoe goo on the threads. Servo will eventually go bad, don't bother with a warranty replacement. Just replace with a Savox and forget it.

The shocks come mounted in the far outside holes, move them to the third hole from the outside. If you don't, they will bind and brake. But extra rod ends, they will brake often. A tip to make them last longer, when installing new ends, use shoe goo on the threads. Servo will eventually go bad, don't bother with a warranty replacement. Just replace with a Savox and forget it.
Thanks for the tip @Ole Fart51. So, would you recommend this kit here which has those extra parts it look like or would you suggest this which only has the rod ends. Also, could I take my existing rod ends and add show too now?

Just about the only part that everyone seems to agree on for the Nero is the Hobao hyper shock dampers kit (Part #90049) and moving the upper shock mount into the 3rd hole. The only part you need from the Hobao kit is the "Spring Perch", but they don't sell them individually. I am including a picture of my shocks the 2 on the left have the Hobao spring perch's and 2 on the right have the stock Arrma spring perch's. You can see that the Hobao part is much taller and eliminates the problem of the shock end rubbing on the rocker arms. As for any other parts there a plenty of different options out there. Check out GKA Custom (a vendor here in Arrama forums), Hot-Racing, and GPM Parts they all have hop-ups specific to the Nero. Other than that I would say take a look through the post that are already here in the Nero, Big Rock, Fazon forum there is a lot of great information and plenty of people who are doing all kind of different things with the Nero platform.

One thing about the Onyx batteries, keep a close eye on them. I purchased the Duratrax kit 2x 3S batteries and charger from Tower Hobbies when I bought my Big Rock. The batteries lasted for 2 charges, 3 runs and then puffed up and are now door stops. At the time my truck was still completely stock and I was not even jumping it. I was still getting used to all the power it has. Duratrax is supposed to be sending me 2 replacement batteries, but they keep telling me that they have been on back order for the past 5 months so I still have not received the replacements yet.

Hobao Spring Retainers 01.jpg

I agree with everyone. Get the traxxas revo rod ends and drive shaft locking pins and arrma rod ends. Be genle on the throttle when in different modes too.

Is this a definite must do?

I literally just unboxed my brand new Nero and was curious. I am not new to Rc, but far from a pro. I was planning to keep it stock for a bit until I got adjusted to it.

when I got my fazon I took it totally apart. I don't trust ready to run stuff.the center gear box and diffs all needed more grease, I cleaned all part and re greased them using lucas red and tacky heavy duty grease. I installed revo rocker posts and a savox 1231sg servo with hot racing steering parts.check wiring at the receiver box. mine had a pinched wire for the center diff. grease both ends of all drive shafts,the non sliding ends were dry and even though they don't move they should have grease on them. also check gear mesh,mine was off. good luck with your new toy.

Looks like mine also has a pinched wire from the receiver to the center diff. Already reached out to tower hobbies for a replacement.

you can remove the wire extention from the center diff. the servo wire alone is long enough, it gives you a little more room in the small receiver box. that's the part that was pinched on mine, the servo wire was fine.

you can remove the wire extention from the center diff. the servo wire alone is long enough, it gives you a little more room in the small receiver box. that's the part that was pinched on mine, the servo wire was fine.
In my case, it is the servo wire itself and not the extension. It is crimped after the extension is connected at the chassis, right next to the motor. I haven't been able to verify if it works yet as my charger arrives today so hopefully I can seal it if I can't get it replaced.

Good news, I am getting a warranty replacement for the micro servo for the center diff. Gotta hand it to Arrma support and tower hobbies for the quick response and resolution. Should get a replacement in the mail soon.

Attachments

• 20170523_135152.jpg
    20170523_135152.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 55
Okay, I received the Habao spring perches and have installed one but the rod end for the shock does not slide into the perch cup. I did purchase the revo rod ends but they seem less durable than the Arrma ends. Is this just so perch will sit properly? I'm guessing it's a means to and end. I also moved the position of the shocks to the third hole from the outside. Wouldn't the clearance issue with the rocker arm be reduced if we move to the inner most shock position? What the difference in terms of performance?

Attachments

• 20170607_165409.jpg
    20170607_165409.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 47
Okay, I received the Habao spring perches and have installed one but the rod end for the shock does not slide into the perch cup. I did purchase the revo rod ends but they seem less durable than the Arrma ends. Is this just so perch will sit properly? I'm guessing it's a means to and end. I also moved the position of the shocks to the third hole from the outside. Wouldn't the clearance issue with the rocker arm be reduced if we move to the inner most shock position? What the difference in terms of performance?

You are now the second person that I have seen say the Habao perches do not fit on the shock rod ends. It seems like Arrma has made the shock rod ends a bit thicker some time in the last 3-6 months. Probably because a lot of people were complaining about them braking all the time. @Combatjeep told me that the perches fit fine on his Nero rod ends, but not on his Big Rock HD Rod Ends. So he carefully bored out the perches and now they fit. Unfortunately I am not sure what he used to bore them out.

You are now the second person that I have seen say the Habao perches do not fit on the shock rod ends. It seems like Arrma has made the shock rod ends a bit thicker some time in the last 3-6 months. Probably because a lot of people were complaining about them braking all the time. @Combatjeep told me that the perches fit fine on his Nero rod ends, but not on his Big Rock HD Rod Ends. So he carefully bored out the perches and now they fit. Unfortunately I am not sure what he used to bore them out.
Hey, Combatjeep here. I've been working on my Nero's suspension for increased travel and height. Swapped my Nero shocks with the big rock shocks for the extra few mm. The shock rod ends are much beefier. It's a must for you to combine them with a spring perch/cup that will not interfere with the rockers. I've used the stock rockers and use HR now and the oem cups collide on both. The Haboa cups fit perfect for the stock Nero shock rod ends, but when I switched to the big rock shocks I had to bore the cups to fit the big rock shock ends. Dropped in a 1/4" washer and bored with a 5/16" bit very slowly by hand, removed the washer and bored the rest of the way. Slipped over the big rocks perfect. Sounds like alot but took about 3 minutes a cup. I have traxxas ends for emergency replacement parts but I think the Arrma hollow balls provide much better range of motion.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, if you look at the pic the shock on the left has the Habao perch and it seems to be as wide as the rod end. I could try boring it out but I might loose too much support for the rod end. It does seem like the shock ends have been beffed up, they look much thicker compared to the traxxas ends in the pic. I only purchased the rod ends for the push rods, are these the same for the shock ends?

Hey, Combatjeep here. I've been working on my Nero's suspension for increased travel and height. Swapped my Nero shocks with the big rock shocks for the extra few mm. The shock rod ends are much beefier. It's a must for you to combine them with a spring perch/cup that will not interfere with the rockers. I've used the stock rockers and use HR now and the oem cups collide on both. The Haboa cups fit perfect for the stock Nero shock rod ends, but when I switched to the big rock shocks I had to bore the cups to fit the big rock shock ends. Dropped in a 1/4" washer and bored with a 5/16" bit very slowly by hand, removed the washer and bored the rest of the way. Slipped over the big rocks perfect. Sounds like alot but took about 3 minutes a cup. I have traxxas ends for emergency replacement parts but I think the Arrma hollow balls provide much better range of motion.
I will try boring out the perches, looks like Arrma might have upgraded the Nero shock ends. They look much more durable than the traxxas ends. Thanks for the feedback! What were the washers used for in your process? Was it just to center?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, if you look at the pic the shock on the left has the Habao perch and it seems to be as wide as the rod end. I could try boring it out but I might loose too much support for the rod end. It does seem like the shock ends have been beffed up, they look much thicker compared to the traxxas ends in the pic. I only purchased the rod ends for the push rods, are these the same for the shock ends?

I will try boring out the perches, looks like Arrma might have upgraded the Nero shock ends. They look much more durable than the traxxas ends. Thanks for the feedback! What were the washers used for in your process? Was it just to center?
Ok, the Arrma rod ends I have are an upgraded version. They now come stock with the Big Rock. If you bore into the Habao perch, you will not lose any support as long as you are careful and don't cut into the rod end seat. This is why I dropped in a small washer for the most part of cutting. When you're cutting, squeeze the cup end or it will spread and be uneven. You don't have to use a washer; I did for reference mainly. Watch through the slot in the side while cutting. Once you get to where the rod end seats, stop. Use an exacto blade to carefully refine the inside area. It worked great for me. My Nero has hella clearance now. I also trimmed my skids to let the arms drop further.

Ok, the Arrma rod ends I have are an upgraded version. They now come stock with the Big Rock. If you bore into the Habao perch, you will not lose any support as long as you are careful and don't cut into the rod end seat. This is why I dropped in a small washer for the most part of cutting. When you're cutting, squeeze the cup end or it will spread and be uneven. You don't have to use a washer; I did for reference mainly. Watch through the slot in the side while cutting. Once you get to where the rod end seats, stop. Use an exacto blade to carefully refine the inside area. It worked great for me. My Nero has hella clearance now. I also trimmed my skids to let the arms drop further.
I also cut about 2mm off the end of the cups after I bored them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170608_041502733.jpg
    IMG_20170608_041502733.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 64

I also cut about 2mm off the end of the cups after I bored them.
Ok, thank you @Combatjeep for the detailed instructions, I'll try this out and report back. Looks great in you pic!

Ok, thank you @Combatjeep for the detailed instructions, I'll try this out and report back. Looks great in you pic!
Got them in. I was able to fit the shock ends after boring out the perches for a snug fit. Now I have to find the right amount of preload for the springs. 20170609_113514.jpg 20170609_114114.jpg
Last pic shows the increase in shock end height.

Got them in. I was able to fit the shock ends after boring out the perches for a snug fit. Now I have to find the right amount of preload for the springs. View attachment 10547 View attachment 10548
Last pic shows the increase in shock end height.
I am also trying to figure out the best springs to use with the big rock shocks I put in my Nero. The rods are 3mm longer. I have the stock Nero springs, stock big rock springs, got the optional 75mm springs, have a set of the blue HR 68mm preload springs and a set of the HR gold heavy duty 65mm springs. So, the stock Nero springs are definitely too short; the gold HR heavy duty springs worked well on my red Nero shocks with the hobao perches. They are too short for my upgrades. The blue HR 68mm springs are super stiff and have less adjustment than the optional 75mm. I ran the 75 up front and 68 in rear today. The 75 did well up front. The blue 68 bounced alot on the street, but no bounce in loose thick beach sand and provided better traction as reduced heat causing strain there as well. I feel the blues would also bounce too much on packed dirt tracks. So, I'm going to use the stiff blues in rear exclusively for the beach and 75 all around everywhere else. Just gotta play around with them. I just got my daughter a blue Nero and will be using the HR gold HD springs for her red Nero shocks.

Also finished cutting the skids for added lift, added Axial Beadlock with mudslinger tires and finished my first ever painted body. Lemme know what y'all think.

Attachments

• IMG_20170612_001521.jpg
    IMG_20170612_001521.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20170612_001424.jpg
    IMG_20170612_001424.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20170612_001306.jpg
    IMG_20170612_001306.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20170611_225850698.jpg
    IMG_20170611_225850698.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20170611_225501639.jpg
    IMG_20170611_225501639.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20170611_225214955.jpg
    IMG_20170611_225214955.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 198
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back