Typhon My little torque MONSTER!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedbuggiesrule

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
This is my custom twin BLX 185 system Arrma Typhon. I posted these pics in the wheels n tires thread hoping to get some info and recommendations on quality speed run wheels n tires. I'll try my luck here. Right now I'm running twin 22t pinions on stock 50t spur. Any info on a smaller spur option would be amazing.
Mods: custom dual motor mount and top brace.
Custom risers for the body (to gain clearance needed under the body) adds almost an inch to body height.
Running belted GRP tires. They're great but barely fit the car. I'm looking for other options with a larger outer diameter. Advice and help is appreciated!
Screenshot_2017-08-22-08-53-14.png
Screenshot_2017-08-22-08-53-02.png

Do you have any videos of this running? This is awesome!
Thank you Kind Sir! :)
I will be getting my GPS in the mail on monday. Hopefully I'll get some good footage. Tonight I bought some X01 tires and Traxxas wheel adapters. Took a couple pics I'll put them up in a bit. I had to modify the adapters from 12mm hex to the arrma style pin to facilitate the tire install.

I have a video with the GRP'S. I'll try to put it up. Not really computer literate so bare with me.

I put the video on YouTube. I tried putting it on here but it isn't working for me. It's titled "Twin motor Arma Typhon". I'll have some more speed run videos soon.
Thanks for the interest in my project!

Last edited:
That's really fast for 4S! If those motor pinions break check out the Robinson Racing ones, I had to do that to mine.

So could you run 2 6s cuz you have 2 esc or am I not understanding how you have everything hooked up?

This is amazing btw. I never would have thought to do this! I may need this set up for my kraton...!

Last edited:
The set up goes like this. It's two identical blx 185 systems wired to one receiver. You have to pull the red signal wire out of the receiver connector from the secondary esc. Both receiver leads from both esc's are plugged into a "y" harness and then plugged into the receiver. It only needs one signal wire. The rest is just the normal set your mesh and go play. And yes since there are two systems you need twice the batteries. Right now I have 4- 3s batteries. They are wired in series 2x2 then the two series circuits are wired into parallel to two leads for connecting to the esc inputs. So there is even power distribution from the 4 batteries to both esc's. 22.2v across both systems. So I'm running 6s. The batteries are "venom Fly" batts 2200mah, 30c, 3s x4. I only have the 22t pinions at the moment but the math says 76mph is top speed. Got my GPS in the mail so I'll be able to prove or disprove the math today or tomorrow. You can figure your top speed if you know your gear ratio both at the motor pinion and spur (50t/22t=2.27to1 ratio) AND your final drive ratio in the diff. Mine is 3.3to1. Kv*volts=rpm at motor. Divide that number by 1st ratio. Then divide that by final drive ratio. That will be the wheel RPM. the circumference of your wheels is the diameter of the wheel/tire times 3.14. This will give how much distance your tire rolls in one revolution. Times the wheel rpm gives distance/min. Times 60 to get hour. Divide by 12 to get feet/hour. Divide by 5280 to get mph.

Sorry, realize this is an old post. It’s just such a cool thread, lol.

I’m just getting into speed runs with my new Talion.

Super curious to see what you’ve come up with now, Speedbuggiesrule. Wow, incredible job.

Sorry, realize this is an old post. It’s just such a cool thread, lol.

I’m just getting into speed runs with my new Talion.

Super curious to see what you’ve come up with now, Speedbuggiesrule. Wow, incredible job.
Hey thanks for the compliment! I have a couple more videos that are newer than the one on this thread. I ended up hitting 136mph. Haven't done much with the speed car in a while. I'm definitely not done with it though. I've been enjoying the bashing scene with my 3xle.
As far as advice on speed runs.... practice a lot, get a remote with avc or get a gyro of some sort to aid with keeping it straight at higher speeds. Use the best batteries you can afford. If you have the space use 2 batteries of the cell count you run and wire them in parallel. Example.. if you run 6s, use 2 6s batteries wired in parallel to power your rig. Voltage stays the same but the capacity doubles. You have more amperage at your disposal. Speed runners need amperage.. hope this helps! And thanks again!

You don’t by chance participate on Facebook do you?

There’s a few Arrma Speed Run pages. They keep track of everyone’s pb and chart them.

I guarantee you’d be up in the top 10 or so with that mph, wow, lol.

So, you were able to test/tune another + 30 mph out of it since your last video posted here? Good gravy if so. Regardless, nice job on this build man. Yeah, I said it already, lol.

Agreed this is a nice build. I have yet to see a twin motor build prove itself better than a single motor on a RC car but has been proven many times in the RC boat world.

Did you end up finding a solution for the spur gear? A spool is your best bet. Should allow you to get in the 31-36 t range.

Some notes for those interested:
BSR foams are 105mm diameter which is slightly larger than the GRP tires. Although I never recommend them until a car is over 130mph (for other readers sake) they are more expensive to run due to foam chunking if there is any debris or stability issues.

Locking the diffs is a good idea to keep it tracking straight. Generally a gyro is not helpful at speeds over 80mph. If the car is sideways at those speeds it will be in the grass no matter what happens next.

Futaba radios have been proven good over 1200ft range. The 3pv is a very affordable radio.

-Liberty

Agreed this is a nice build. I have yet to see a twin motor build prove itself better than a single motor on a RC car but has been proven many times in the RC boat world.

Yea he has enough motor- now gear it to the moon to take advantage of that, and keep it shiny side up. :)

VERY nice! I like being different! 2 motors would probably not come near a good TP Power monster motor, but I'll bet the torque is massive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back