Kraton My Kraton Upgrade Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the front and rear diffs shimmed, but when trying to remove the motor mount to access the middle diff, my brand new bondhus driver snapped off inside of the bolt. I am angry and I don't know what to do.
screwed.jpg

Last edited:
I got the front and rear diffs shimmed, but when trying to remove the motor mount to access the front shim, my brand new bondhus driver snapped off inside of the bolt. I am angry and I don't know what to do.
View attachment 10917

I had to drill the screws out and get a new HR motor mount. Can try to dremel a slot and use flat head, but I didn't want to damage the plate.

On your next go around try heating it up with a soldering iron first, then try to break loose. Sorry this happened to you. Hope you get it figured out.

Well, I ended up breaking my soldering iron. I thought the screw was holding the tip in, so I unscrewed it and then grabbed the tip with pliers to pull it out. Oops, I pulled other tube out of the middle, and sparks flew out. Now my soldering iron no longer heats up any more. That one- MY BAD. I felt like a dumass, lmao.

Anyway, no luck and just more stripping. I did successfully drill one of the bolts out, and I even got lucky and managed to extract one of them using a new bit set i bought at the hobby shop. More on that later. So I took the truck back up to the hobby shop and said, "I am lost, I have no idea how to get this bolt out. Help me please."
So we did this:
1) took battery tray and dogbones out so motor mount could be turned (only the one stubborn bolt was holding it)
2) Removed diff from mount so it wouldn't get hurt
3) violently thrashed the motor mount back and forth in an attempt to weaken the bolt
4) manager went in the back and got a huge crowbar, pried the motor mount off (broke the bolt).
5) no harm done to any part of the truck, except the motor mount (obviously unusable)
6) ordered hot racing motor mount, awaiting arrival.

20170708_212215.jpg 20170709_115638.jpg

I was so heated over this. I can't believe any manufacturer would think soft, threadlocked, steel bolts would be a good idea going in to an aluminum mount. For that matter, I can't believe how soft these bolts are overall. Whew. Anyway, hot racing mount looks like a nice upgrade because I found out exactly how much of a PITA is was to remove the motor from the mount. Literally, took like thirty quarter turns with an L allen wrench to get the bottom bolt out. Horrible! The hot racing one allows you to slide the motor back and forth, and tighten the position down with one bolt; frickin genius!

I also ordered orange tekno springs to hit that $50 mark with towerhobbies and get a cool $8 off.

This whole ordeal made me seriously think about my tool set. This hobby requires hardened, expensive tools if you don't want to struggle. It's just that simple. So, I bought a Team Associated 1655 Factory Team 8-Piece 1/4" Hex Driver Set from the hobby shop. I like it so far. It feels precise and looks pretty too, lmao. I also bought a Ryobi HP44L QuickTurn 4-Volt Lithium-Ion 14 in. Cordless Screwdriver to avoid carpal tunnel. Not much to say about it; it is lightweight, and serves it's one purpose very well.
20170709_115711.jpg

With the help of that, and youtube, I managed to replace every stock bearing (and a few bushings in the steering column) with Avid bearings. Very nice. Here is a pic of the old ones in the bag:
20170709_115647.jpg

I also replaced all the diff fluid, and shimmed the diffs. 500k in the middle, 100k in the front, and 60k in the rear. Actually, I need to redo the front and rear because I got that reversed. Oh well. Maybe I should just run it to see how I like it before replacing? What do you guys think???

Also, I noticed when I turn the diff, it is slightly notchy. Does this seem normal? It is not so notchy that it is hard to turn, but it has a few clicks in some spots.

Lastly, what grease do you guys recommend for the part where the diff gear (the big gear the diff case gets screwed against) rests against the small, perpendicular gear in the box? Here is a picture showing the two gears I am referring to. It looks like they put some kind of brown grease on there from the factory. Is white lithium grease okay??
diffQuestion.jpg

Wait a minute- there is no difference between the front and rear diffs right??? Can't I just swap the front for the rear if I got the viscosity mixed up between the front and rear?

Yes, you can swap the front and rear diffs, and I use White Lithium Grease on those parts. Good call on the good tools, and the Power screw driver. I ordered my driver the day after I shimmed all 3 differentials with the Allen Wrench that came with the car. I will never do that again.

What power screwdriver have you found that has small metric hex drivers?

I use synthetic bearing grease inside the diff case, works great. I had some white lithium for bicycle chains, but it didn't work as well. Really thin.

^^Yeah, I would have bought those, but my local hobby shop has been so supportive, I wanted to throw em some bones. The associated set was the best set they had :)

I don't see anything wrong with the TeAM a$$ wrenches. I was just showing the other dude, what you could use with a power screw driver. Even with the nice tools, I have 2 screws I need to remove that are completely rounded out. I'll be notching then with a dremel in a couple of hours. Wish me luck.

I got my screws out. Tried with a coule Torx Bits, and the just notched em with a dremel tool. Was able to get a lot of work done last night, in a very short amount of time. Separate thread with pics coming later.

I got my screws out. Tried with a coule Torx Bits, and the just notched em with a dremel tool. Was able to get a lot of work done last night, in a very short amount of time. Separate thread with pics coming later.
I am glad, man. These screws can be a real pain in the a$s

Alright, she is all put back together and ready to go for a run today. Hot racing motor mount is undeniably better than the stock, as you can slide your motor in to the mount, and set it with one top mounted bolt- nice.
20170715_115200.jpg
Avid bearings all the way around
20170715_115214.jpg
Outcast battery box. I had to drill 4 new holes, and I kind of misjudged the holes for the posts, so I had to elongate them a bit. That's alright because at least the bolt holes lined up. No big deal.
20170715_115037.jpg 20170715_115058.jpg
RPM wing mount installed, although I don't know how much better it is... oh well it's RPM so it's guaranteed for life.
20170715_115300.jpg
Of course, had to finish her off with some orange Tekno springs all the way around. Tekno is great; they gave me a 25% veteran discount. So if you want cheaper hop ups, just sign away your life for four or five years. lol
20170715_115010.jpg
Can't wait to take her out today. I have to modify my ramp so it is not so vertical at take off. But, it should be a fun day. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back