My home brew body repair / reinforcement goo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Mustangs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Been doing this for a while now and it has proven to be super durable and easy to reapply when it does inevitably fail.

If needed, temporarily hold pieces of body in place with scotch tape on outside of body. Mix roughly 2 parts liquid electrical tape to 1 part chopped fiberglass strands. Paint a light coating of just the tape onto the repair area. Immediately follow that up with the mixed up secret goo. Make sure it is tightly packed into the area, no air pockets. Let dry overnight. Apply one more light coat of just the tape over the top, slightly expanding the footprint.

This combo is tough as nails, almost impossible to tear by hand, plenty flexible enough to bend with the body, and can be formed over even the tightest contours. Adhesion is very good as well but when needed you can remove it, normally in one piece, and reapply. That is the real beauty of this stuff in my mind.

The chopped fiberglass strand is not likely something normal people (I'm not normal) keep on hand but it is relatively easy to source from places that sell fiberglassing supplies. The liquid tape can be found at most home improvement or hardware stores.

IMG_5012.JPG

The shinier part on the left was just applied and is still wet. The dull part on the right is an old repair.
IMG_5013.JPG

Last edited:
Came to post some pics of a body project - found this little gem that will most certainly help out! Good thinking, and I like your style!!

Thanks guys. A couple notes on this that I forgot to include originally...

The liquid tape attacks some plastics. I have never run into this on anything rc, but it will soften a Dixie cup. And I assume that means some paints too?? Anyway, it might be worth testing with a thick coat in a small area first if this concerns you.

Also, my writeup was for a repair but you could absolutely use this to beef up a brand new body if you know where to expect damage. In my experience, this would be around body posts, any edges or corners that could take an impact, and on the top sides of the wheel wells if the roof is not supported from underneath.

Yeah, I suppose you could. Something flexible that is strong in tension would give you similar material properties.

What about spaying the body with Bedliner spray? A few coatings... Durable and flexible. Anybody has done it? I am planning to do this on a Typhon this weekend.

That might be too brittle. The spray can bed liner I have used is tough but not flexible enough to use on something that can bend like a lexan body.

With this goo, you could skip the FG drywall tape. Essentially, you are double glassing it with the goo. If the body is cracked, though, you may want to tape the outside of the body till the goo dries.

What about spaying the body with Bedliner spray? A few coatings... Durable and flexible. Anybody has done it? I am planning to do this on a Typhon this weekend.

That might be too brittle. The spray can bed liner I have used is tough but not flexible enough to use on something that can bend like a lexan body.
Use the rubberized undercoating.

With this goo, you could skip the FG drywall tape. Essentially, you are double glassing it with the goo. If the body is cracked, though, you may want to tape the outside of the body till the goo dries.

The fiberglass tape is a different reinforcement method and not (previously) mentioned in this thread. Like I said in the original post, scotch tape works well to temporarily hold things together from the outside if needed. I fold the ends over on itself to make it easy to pull off after things set up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back