Lifted Nero conversion vs stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Combatjeep

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Posting pics to show the difference between my lifted custom body Nero and my daughter's new out of the box Nero. On my Nero, I swapped out the stock shocks with the big rock shocks for the slightly longer shock rods and he rod ends. I used hobao spring cups carefully bored to fit the larger diameter big rock hd shock rod ends, 75mm springs in front and 68mm Blue HR springs in rear. I used HR rockers all around to help further reduce spring cup/rocker collision. I trimmed all skidplates around the lower arms to further increase travel and height. To help compensate for lost center of gravity, I added the HR 5mm hub extenders. I also swapped out the stock wheels and tires for Axial beadlocks with mudslinger tires; this also added another good 1/2" of clearance. This setup makes it the perfect beach basher. The excellent grip from the tires combined with the height let's it really dig in and grab the soft Florida sands.
IMG_20170616_223537.jpg
IMG_20170616_223835.jpg
IMG_20170616_231701.jpg
IMG_20170616_224039499.jpg
Now just gotta gear down some from the 15t to a 13t or 12t to lighten the strain and an engine fan to lessen the Florida heat. Now to set the kid's up for speed.

Posting pics to show the difference between my lifted custom body Nero and my daughter's new out of the box Nero. On my Nero, I swapped out the stock shocks with the big rock shocks for the slightly longer shock rods and he rod ends. I used hobao spring cups carefully bored to fit the larger diameter big rock hd shock rod ends, 75mm springs in front and 68mm Blue HR springs in rear. I used HR rockers all around to help further reduce spring cup/rocker collision. I trimmed all skidplates around the lower arms to further increase travel and height. To help compensate for lost center of gravity, I added the HR 5mm hub extenders. I also swapped out the stock wheels and tires for Axial beadlocks with mudslinger tires; this also added another good 1/2" of clearance. This setup makes it the perfect beach basher. The excellent grip from the tires combined with the height let's it really dig in and grab the soft Florida sands. View attachment 10659 View attachment 10660 View attachment 10661 View attachment 10663 Now just gotta gear down some from the 15t to a 13t or 12t to lighten the strain and an engine fan to lessen the Florida heat. Now to set the kid's up for speed.
One of the best looking Nero's I've seen. Those wheels and tires look amazing.

One of the best looking Nero's I've seen. Those wheels and tires look amazing.
I appreciate your positive response. That's the first RC body I've ever painted. I was very happy with the turnout. It's definitely more for show, I use the original body for my beach bashing, lol.

Like all the Mods! Clean truck! Been trying get a little more clearance as well. Any mods to the rear drive shafts? Mine seam to make contact with upper a arm when extended. Also was going to order the e revo pushrods for a few more mm of travel.

Like all the Mods! Clean truck! Been trying get a little more clearance as well. Any mods to the rear drive shafts? Mine seam to make contact with upper a arm when extended. Also was going to order the e revo pushrods for a few more mm of travel.
Only mod I've done in the rear to keep the driveshafts from making contact was attach the rods in the center holes on the HR rockers. It sets perfectly level to the front end where my rods are attached in the third holes. I've ordered some bent rod ends to see if they give me a little bit of extra lift in the rear without the ds boot rubbing. Gotta play around with the geometry of it. It may come down to just having to bore those upper arms just a couple of mm, which may be the easiest fix. No matter what you add on, when the upper arms reach a certain degree of angle, they're going to rub.

Posting pics to show the difference between my lifted custom body Nero and my daughter's new out of the box Nero. On my Nero, I swapped out the stock shocks with the big rock shocks for the slightly longer shock rods and he rod ends. I used hobao spring cups carefully bored to fit the larger diameter big rock hd shock rod ends, 75mm springs in front and 68mm Blue HR springs in rear. I used HR rockers all around to help further reduce spring cup/rocker collision. I trimmed all skidplates around the lower arms to further increase travel and height. To help compensate for lost center of gravity, I added the HR 5mm hub extenders. I also swapped out the stock wheels and tires for Axial beadlocks with mudslinger tires; this also added another good 1/2" of clearance. This setup makes it the perfect beach basher. The excellent grip from the tires combined with the height let's it really dig in and grab the soft Florida sands. View attachment 10659 View attachment 10660 View attachment 10661 View attachment 10663 Now just gotta gear down some from the 15t to a 13t or 12t to lighten the strain and an engine fan to lessen the Florida heat. Now to set the kid's up for speed.
That looks awesome! Good job, keep us updated on its performance. I'm curious to know how it handles big jumps.

I'm also interested in these wheels and tires. Are this the Mud Slinger 40 series 3/8" tires?
The tires are mounted on the Axial beadlocks without glue, is it right?

I'm also interested in these wheels and tires. Are this the Mud Slinger 40 series 3/8" tires?
The tires are mounted on the Axial beadlocks without glue, is it right?
The wheels are a slight bit wide for the tires but fit ok. First time running them, the front tires came out of the bead. After some research, I have learned that this combo on a brushless should be glued. Also, I have started to fabricate some closed cell foam shims to place on each side of the inner foam to fill in the empty space created by the oversized width of the wheels and eliminate tire drift upon turning. Many people cut the wheels and epoxy them to make them more narrow. I feel this would add too much variation of weight and throw everything way off balance. I am hopeful that simple tuning of the inner foam with precision cut shims and gluing the tire bead into the slots will play out well. I just cut one pair of shims using a bladed compass and weighed them on my gun powder measure reloading scale. They weigh almost exactly the same. They fill out the tire very well. 6 more to cut and weigh, then on to the glue. I will post how they turn out. Side note.... With the increased weight and diameter of the tires and offset of the wheels you definitely need to have hub extenders or they'll cut into the arms and gear down from the 15t stock to a 13 or 12. Otherwise you'll have about 10 min runtime and are at high risk of burning up the motor. Oh, I would not even attempt to run these with a stock steering servo.

Are your front and rear springs both blue compression or is the front the standard Aarma 75mm spring? and why did you choose theses sizes and compression ratios?

I have a question as well. I'm a Kraton Owner, but like to look through all the forums for ideas and because works gets boring here and there.

Is there a concern with the outdrive cups wearing out due to the arms sitting at such an angle? I was tutored to try to keep the natural stance of the car with the arms horizontal, to prevent excess rub between the dog bone and the cup. Does the Nero use different parts?

The Nero does not have dog-bone drive shafts or out-drive cups. It has universal joints all the way round. I lifted my Big Rock also and with the larger angle yes there is more wear on the joints, but because we have universal joints the extra wear is much less than if this truck had dog-bones. The biggest issue with bog-bone drive shafts and extreme suspension angles (as I am sure you know) is that the anything over about 15-20 degrees and the drive shaft itself will rub on the out-drive cup (Part #AR310439). With the universal joint instead of having a cup on the end of the out-drive we have a full universal joint that is capable of allowing a much larger range of motion without rubbing on anything at all (Nero Out Drive #AR310738). However, beyond 45 degrees even universal joints begin to cause cogging or simple won't rotate at all so they do have their limits also. The drive shaft is attached to the universal joint rather than it being inserted into the out-drive cup the way dog-bone driveshafts are. I put the links to the 2 different out-drives so you can see the difference in the parts. The Nero has a universal joint at the both ends of all 6 drive shafts which allows us to have more suspension travel on our trucks than most RCs that have dog-bone drive shafts.

I have some more info on how to lift the Nero/Big Rock in my build log thread "Big Rock Custom Body, LEDs & more". Update #3 is all about what I did to lift my Big Rock along with some close up pictures of my skid plates and a link to the YouTube video were I got the idea to lift my truck in the first place.

what brand of protectors on the front of your machines looking for some for my v3 talion

I JUST GOT THE RPM REAR ONES HOW DO U MOUNT THEM SEE 4 SCREWS LOOKS LIKE DRILL WONDER WHAT SIZE BIT

WILL THEY FIT THE FRONTS ON MY TALION

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back