Kraton Kraton turned dragster on 8S. Any suggestions on gearing, stability, setup, tuning etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMINOR

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Im running a Poseidon 1500 motor on a Max 6 esc In my Kraton and I’m looking for tips on how to get Off the line as fast as possible. Help!

Attachments

• F5637DE6-04D1-4407-8D3F-47FB6C207F30.jpeg
    F5637DE6-04D1-4407-8D3F-47FB6C207F30.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 2D2FE288-4CB9-4A06-9352-95154E203B8E.jpeg
    2D2FE288-4CB9-4A06-9352-95154E203B8E.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 175
  • D11A039F-0617-4DCA-B6D8-04CAE6CB2FA4.jpeg
    D11A039F-0617-4DCA-B6D8-04CAE6CB2FA4.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 177
Nice big motor ;) Are you using a spool/locker in center diff?

I am building mine with tp power 4070cm 2200kv with hw max5. I looked at Poseidon motors also. Interested in your cap pack; what is it?

Justin

What’s up Justin - it’s a Poseidon cap pack. I posted a pic below with the specs. It’s on their site 40 bucks...Works great so far. I’m on a hobby wing max 6 esc, I’ve got a 38 tooth spur gear off a 1/5 scale Apache running a 29 tooth pinion right now. Im waiting for a guy to build me a 40 tooth spool. I’m havjng issues though keeping this monster stable at high speeds. Lots of wobble past 60 MPH. Trying to make sure the tires are balanced, and everything is tight. Just not sure how to get this RC to law down a little more and be more stable. Thoughts? I removed the wing because it just creates more downforce and now I’m thinking that down force might help? But it could slow me down ultimately. She’s heavy. Testing and tuning but I’m open to advice. Your build sounds cool.

Tarik

Attachments

• D68E9033-1643-418F-8464-9603D90FC321.png
    D68E9033-1643-418F-8464-9603D90FC321.png
    316.8 KB · Views: 62
What’s up Justin - it’s a Poseidon cap pack. I posted a pic below with the specs. It’s on their site 40 bucks...Works great so far. I’m on a hobby wing max 6 esc, I’ve got a 38 tooth spur gear off a 1/5 scale Apache running a 29 tooth pinion right now. Im waiting for a guy to build me a 40 tooth spool. I’m havjng issues though keeping this monster stable at high speeds. Lots of wobble past 60 MPH. Trying to make sure the tires are balanced, and everything is tight. Just not sure how to get this RC to law down a little more and be more stable. Thoughts? I removed the wing because it just creates more downforce and now I’m thinking that down force might help? But it could slow me down ultimately. She’s heavy. Testing and tuning but I’m open to advice. Your build sounds cool.

Tarik
I believe the rpm arms have a extra hole to move your shocks outward more for a lower stance and possibly a few of the aftermarket aluminum shock towers .

That RPM bumper will direct air under the chassis & generate lift. You should mount something like a Raider wing to the front. It'll look sweet & generate tons of downforce.

When you really want to get in the triple digits this is a likely scenario:

0111180858.jpg
A little WIP. A Kraton with Typhon Arms & hubs, & a full XO-1 chassis. It weighs 17 lbs :eek: Don't mind the buggy tires, I was just ripping around with it today. With the XLX & 1717 1275kv X-Maxx motor on 8S, it can do 73 mph. The weight is holding it back but is definitely keeping it on the ground. I have another setup for it with a fastlane motor mount & Castle 2028. I used the stock spur & 50t pinion for a 1 to 1. I need a runway to get it to top speed but on the block long strip I ran it on it reached 118 mph.

That RPM bumper will direct air under the chassis & generate lift. You should mount something like a Raider wing to the front. It'll look sweet & generate tons of downforce.

When you really want to get in the triple digits this is a likely scenario:

View attachment 14767
A little WIP. A Kraton with Typhon Arms & hubs, & a full XO-1 chassis. It weighs 17 lbs :eek: Don't mind the buggy tires, I was just ripping around with it today. With the XLX & 1717 1275kv X-Maxx motor on 8S, it can do 73 mph. The weight is holding it back but is definitely keeping it on the ground. I have another setup for it with a fastlane motor mount & Castle 2028. I used the stock spur & 50t pinion for a 1 to 1. I need a runway to get it to top speed but on the block long strip I ran it on it reached 118 mph.

Megasty, That's a great setup. I like your idea of using a Full XO-1 chasis. I'm definitely going to get into more speed runs, but right now I'm dragracing with this guy and I'm focused on the 132 foot run. I'm thinking I'm going to go to some foams as well. But I know the real problem here, this is a basher, one hell of a basher, and I'm trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole. It's fun gearing it for acceleration. Right now i'm on a 38 tooth spur, a 29 tooth pinion, and I'm about to drop down to a 24 tooth pinion (if it fits) to see it she'll really blast off the line.I'll look into that Raider wing. Great idea to create the downforce in the front.

I believe the rpm arms have a extra hole to move your shocks outward more for a lower stance and possibly a few of the aftermarket aluminum shock towers .

That's

Justpassedu - moving the RPM arma to the outer hole will definitely give me more of a lower stance, but I read on the Arrma site, that for maximum traction, the inner hole is suggested. I'll have to try the outer one to see how she reacts. Testing and tuning. testing and tuning. thanks!

The problem with foams is that you throw traction & acceleration out the window. That car actually did start of as a Kraton, terrain & road crusher tires. It had plenty of grip & acceleration but the wheel wobble killed the top end control.

The wobble comes from the play in the hex adapter, or rather the gaps between the hex, axle, & bearing. Most of the cheap $4-5 china hex adapters actually fit TIGHT. That will eliminate the vertical wobble. Unfortunately, the lateral wobble is needed to allow the bearing to spin freely, it comes from the axle pin hole being set 2mm away from the bearing. It's not something that can easily be remedied even through shimming. But you will gain a great deal of control with the tight hex alone.

The problem with foams is that you throw traction & acceleration out the window. That car actually did start of as a Kraton, terrain & road crusher tires. It had plenty of grip & acceleration but the wheel wobble killed the top end control.

The wobble comes from the play in the hex adapter, or rather the gaps between the hex, axle, & bearing. Most of the cheap $4-5 china hex adapters actually fit TIGHT. That will eliminate the vertical wobble. Unfortunately, the lateral wobble is needed to allow the bearing to spin freely, it comes from the axle pin hole being set 2mm away from the bearing. It's not something that can easily be remedied even through shimming. But you will gain a great deal of control with the tight hex alone.

Yes. that makes perfect sense. When i first noticed the flex in the hex adapter, I dug in and replaced the bearings thinking that was it. It helped because I bashed the hell out of the old bearings, but the gaps are still there. Do you have a link to the 4-5$ hex adapters your talking about. Thats good advice bro

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-1-8-T10...134375?hash=item284a69b8a7:g:2nAAAOSwSdZaPZ06

The last time I got some it was like 5 sets. They directly fit on the cars with the short hubs, Talion, Typhon, & Senton. But for the Kraton & Outcast you have to add a 1/4" washer first, the kind you get in a big pack from Menards or Home Depot. The washer is a perfect fit over the axle & will slightly help the lateral wobble w/o seizing the bearing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-1-8-T10...134375?hash=item284a69b8a7:g:2nAAAOSwSdZaPZ06

The last time I got some it was like 5 sets. They directly fit on the cars with the short hubs, Talion, Typhon, & Senton. But for the Kraton & Outcast you have to add a 1/4" washer first, the kind you get in a big pack from Menards or Home Depot. The washer is a perfect fit over the axle & will slightly help the lateral wobble w/o seizing the bearing.

Thanks bro. When your going 70 MPH every little thing counts as you know

Megasty, That's a great setup. I like your idea of using a Full XO-1 chasis. I'm definitely going to get into more speed runs, but right now I'm dragracing with this guy and I'm focused on the 132 foot run. I'm thinking I'm going to go to some foams as well. But I know the real problem here, this is a basher, one hell of a basher, and I'm trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole. It's fun gearing it for acceleration. Right now i'm on a 38 tooth spur, a 29 tooth pinion, and I'm about to drop down to a 24 tooth pinion (if it fits) to see it she'll really blast off the line.I'll look into that Raider wing. Great idea to create the downforce in the front.

That's

Justpassedu - moving the RPM arma to the outer hole will definitely give me more of a lower stance, but I read on the Arrma site, that for maximum traction, the inner hole is suggested. I'll have to try the outer one to see how she reacts. Testing and tuning. testing and tuning. thanks!
For street running and a lower stance i always go out as far as i can . Dropping the car will provide better handling and i believe traction so i think the arrrma site may have got that wrong , all you can do is try.

True. I think the Arrma sites focus for the Kraton really is on jumping, bashing and turning offroad (since it is really a Truggy) so I agree with you that their description and suggestions for traction, are not in any way designed to address drag racing or speed runs. Thx again.

About the only thing I can add is that looking at your pictures it looks like the front tires are toed out. That is good for making tight turns off road but will make it squirrly as hell at high speed on pavement. Set the toe as straight as possible. Also make sure the camber is set so the tires are sitting as flat as possible on the pavement. (more traction) Any time you change ride height you'll have to re adjust the camber so get your height the way you want it first.

Im running a Poseidon 1500 motor on a Max 6 esc In my Kraton and I’m looking for tips on how to get Off the line as fast as possible. Help!

Biggest thing we do at the shop is turn your punch seeing down to 1 or 2 and it will get you off the line and not Flip you backwards Everytime.

Im currently building 4 Kraton/Outcast for some customers now and I'm using the Max 5 and Posiden 1500kv and running 32t pinon and 38 or 36 Spurs.

Your spring preloads are all the way down I see. I was the same way with the stock v2 and Tekno orange springs. Was sagging like crazy with my graphene 6s pack installed.

I just upgraded to v3 shocks/springs which helped a lot - much better than the v2 shocks and any spring combo i tried by far.

20180210_194832.jpg

Attachments

• 20180210_195340.jpg
    20180210_195340.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180210_195517.jpg
    20180210_195517.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180210_195530.jpg
    20180210_195530.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180210_195411.jpg
    20180210_195411.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 59
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back