Kraton spline gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobluez

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Anybody else have issues with the spline gears bein shot quickly? I maybe have 3 hrs of drivetime on my Kraton and both front and rear are history...

20170219_173813.jpg
20170219_173813.jpg

WOW, that stinks. I know someone here will come up with a possible cause, and a possible fix for you.

I have been having trouble with my spiral gear. Changed the one in the front diff yesterday, took it out today now the rear one is shot.

I have been having trouble with my spiral gear. Changed the one in the front diff yesterday, took it out today now the rear one is shot.
Yep same here the front first then the rear within 24 hrs and I'd only had the truck2 s

Make sure you externally shim your diffs. Also check your diff housings for any cracks that might allow the diffs to move.
The other thing is about driving. If you enjoy jumping and back flipping, who doesn't, make sure you aren't landing the vehicle with the trigger pulled.

Theres a legendary shim called "mystery spacer" on the outside of the bearings on the diff ;)

Or you could very closely inspect the spurgear...the 43t spiral gear on front and rear diff... see if its grinded down on some teeth....

Last edited:
How big were the shims you used? I could barely get one very thin washer in there.
You don't want it to be too tight because that's will cause excessive wear too. You just want to take up the excess slop with the shims. For example my front needed 3 and the rear only needed 1. The shims I use are Tekno TKR1222

You don't want it to be too tight because that's will cause excessive wear too. You just want to take up the excess slop with the shims. For example my front needed 3 and the rear only needed 1. The shims I use are Tekno TKR1222
Oh ok I believe I achieved getn rid of the slop but I think the gears are to far gone to know if it worked until I get the replacements Arrma Is sending thanks for the help.

If you shim the ring gear properly, that problem will go away and stay away.

View attachment 8250
My diffs required 3 shims as well, but I put 2 on one side and 1 on the other. I was trying to balance the shims and not overload one side. I also didn't want to create a super tight mesh on the ring gear. Does anyone know which method is the correct way to shim?

I have 1 shim on each side of my diff. If I put 2 on the pinion side, the mesh is too tight, without the shim on the other side, the diff can still wander in the case a bit. My shims are 0.2mm thick each.

I had some serious issues with same gears ended up putting two 0.2mm and one 0.5mm total 0.9mm thickness both front and rear...only on the left side on front and rear diff to remove all play but still have it spinning with no binding. However i guess thats slightly different from car to car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back