Kraton Kraton or Nero....getting back in the game after 25+ years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned senton and it was the toughest out of all arrma's I've owened. It was just limited because of size. It bounced around and got stuck to often for how I like to bash. I do miss it tho. If there was better places near me to dive it I'd get one again. I bashed this thing incredibly hard on 6s and only broke the rear bumper. Senton is a beast straight out of the box. Sold it to a friend.

My Nero had diff servo issues on first battery pack. On second packs while I was hoping the servos would fix themselves (lol) I tumbled doing a wheelie and broke a shock rod end. Spent two weeks looking for shock rod ends and gave up. Was never even able to jump it. Sold it on Craigslist.

Kraton and outcast I've kept. I've had many breaks but I was aware of parts issues by this time so I had ordered a bunch of extra stuff. I was able to swap parts as well. I've been running real well with both of these trucks since I did the upgrades talked about here on the forum. Tower to tower brace, bulletproof diffs, servo mount and backflip tires on both trucks.

If choosing between the Nero or kraton I'd go kraton.

After all that said I'd look very hard into the parts availability issue. I know this is a arrma forum but they need to get their poop together. A $5 part broken makes a $500 rc truck useless for WEEKS. I shouldn't have to take parts from one of my trucks to put on the other because of back orders. I just received an email from tower hobbies stating that stuff I ordered in February that was back ordered was shipped out. I basically ordered a new truck in just parts. :)

I have no problems getting parts. They are all over eBay. The funny thing is. You can buy a whole front or rear diffs for just a few dollars more. Then buying all of the stuff to rebuild just the Mugen planetary gear part. And I get a case shims and the big drive gear. As for servo issues. No matter what truck you get you can have servo issues. Rod ends again are not a issue getting. And the new Neros have the larger rod ends from the big rock. I have had one come off. But it screwed right back on and haven't had a problem with it. But I also ordered some spares before I had a problem. Do you think that the Nero is the only truck with rod ends that break? It doesn't matter what truck you buy. The harder you drive it the more you break. My son has a granite typhoon and nero. And his son has a Traxxas Slash. And his buddy has a Traxxas X Max 1/5 scale. And the Nero beats them all. Even if the 1/5 scale Traxxas X Max. Is on 8s! The Nero is faster. I am not saying what is better. Some like Ford some like Chevy and a few buy Dodge's. I am just saying I like the Nero. The only thingI did upgrade was the drive shafts. The big rock drive shafts have heaver universal ends. And like I have said before. If you hit something or barrel roll at 30 mph you are more likely to break something. The weak point is the tires they balloon. On any truck that runs on 6s batteries. I run on grassy fields hard packed dirt and some gravel. The grassy fields the weight helps. But if you're going to jump any truck expect to break stuff. Because if you compare the hight of the jumps. To a full sized truck. Would you jump something that high? I have beat my Nero. Broke a few parts. And I can say it is a good truck. And like I pointed out. I can lock and unlock diffs. But for the most part. I drive with the center and rear diffs locked. It helps with the front tires ballooning. But I always have real 4 wheel drive. All tires spin at the same speed. And like I said before. Happy trails.

The sad thing is these Arrma vehicles are really great. If Arrma could pull it together with the parts they would become a legendary rc company.

The main problem with parts is really the shock shafts and rod ends to some degree. Fortunately eBay can come to the rescue but that is not 100% reliable especially if its shock related.

Arrma is harming their reputation every week they let this parts thing go on. When loyal Arrma guys (including me) start saying they will be buying Tekno for their next vehcle.......that's not good.

Come on Arrma, I'm rooting for you but you gotta get it together.

I have no problems getting parts. They are all over eBay. The funny thing is. You can buy a whole front or rear diffs for just a few dollars more. Then buying all of the stuff to rebuild just the Mugen planetary gear part. And I get a case shims and the big drive gear. As for servo issues. No matter what truck you get you can have servo issues. Rod ends again are not a issue getting. And the new Neros have the larger rod ends from the big rock. I have had one come off. But it screwed right back on and haven't had a problem with it. But I also ordered some spares before I had a problem. Do you think that the Nero is the only truck with rod ends that break? It doesn't matter what truck you buy. The harder you drive it the more you break. My son has a granite typhoon and nero. And his son has a Traxxas Slash. And his buddy has a Traxxas X Max 1/5 scale. And the Nero beats them all. Even if the 1/5 scale Traxxas X Max. Is on 8s! The Nero is faster. I am not saying what is better. Some like Ford some like Chevy and a few buy Dodge's. I am just saying I like the Nero. The only thingI did upgrade was the drive shafts. The big rock drive shafts have heaver universal ends. And like I have said before. If you hit something or barrel roll at 30 mph you are more likely to break something. The weak point is the tires they balloon. On any truck that runs on 6s batteries. I run on grassy fields hard packed dirt and some gravel. The grassy fields the weight helps. But if you're going to jump any truck expect to break stuff. Because if you compare the hight of the jumps. To a full sized truck. Would you jump something that high? I have beat my Nero. Broke a few parts. And I can say it is a good truck. And like I pointed out. I can lock and unlock diffs. But for the most part. I drive with the center and rear diffs locked. It helps with the front tires ballooning. But I always have real 4 wheel drive. All tires spin at the same speed. And like I said before. Happy trails.

Try to find shock shafts......it has been a joke trying to source them for a very long time. Shock Rod ends and a few shafts have been trickling in here and their on ebay lately which is great but they too have been very scarce. Arrma themselves are still backordered for most things. That's a problem.

Last edited:
I second the Senton also . I have one and it is a beast it has been solid and never bitches it just takes a beating And loves it .

If you enjoy fixing a broken truck after every run then the Nero is a great choice. If you want great handling, great jumping ability, low breakage, low maintenance and poop loads of fun then Kraton is the best choice. If you want a used piece of crap Nero, I have one for sale cheap.

If you enjoy fixing a broken truck after every run then the Nero is a great choice. If you want great handling, great jumping ability, low breakage, low maintenance and poop loads of fun then Kraton is the best choice. If you want a used piece of crap Nero, I have one for sale cheap.
Holy crap....LMAO!!! Don't think anyone could've said it any better, Friggin hilarious!!!

Oh ya lol how cheep. Lmao

Kraton would be my pick, but all have their own unique character.
F8C4B393-7B68-48B4-92CD-F810395AC298.jpeg

I probably would have get a Senton if I knew about them before buying a Slash 4x4 and a SC10rs from Team Associated. But many people start with those (Traxxas Slash) and so they already have a Short Course Truck, and then they want something different, like the Kraton.

I would trade my Slash + SC10rs any day for a Senton :p

THIS! exactly 100%

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back