Kraton Help, about broken diff case twice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spence

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi all, I have a working kraton electronics wise, but I remember I destroyed the stock wing mount, (RPM one ordered) I also recently destroyed a rear diff bulkhead, as it snapped in half, and recently I just noticed after installing the new one, it blew out one of the shock tower ears, so I ordered another one... I don't even drive it that hard, idk if this is due to the shock tower having a slight bend to it? I wished there was an upgrade rear diff case... I guess I may buy a new shock tower, its bent in a bad bad spot... Wow pricey hurray could that be my issue? Its bent at the spot right where it attaches to the diff case so this made the diff case crack already...

Update: its bent like a pretzel at the mounting points too where it broke, I have a 20ton press and a map gas torch, I may give that a try :D
Thanks
-Spence

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a working kraton electronics wise, but I remember I destroyed the stock wing mount, (RPM one ordered) I also recently destroyed a rear diff bulkhead, as it snapped in half, and recently I just noticed after installing the new one, it blew out one of the shock tower ears, so I ordered another one... I don't even drive it that hard, idk if this is due to the shock tower having a slight bend to it? I wished there was an upgrade rear diff case... I guess I may buy a new shock tower, its bent in a bad bad spot... Wow pricey hurray could that be my issue? Its bent at the spot right where it attaches to the diff case so this made the diff case crack already...

Thanks
-Spence
I used a hammer and a Walmart floor to fix mine. To say it works very well now and I also fix the shock. Lol

Thanks
-Spence
But for the diff I had to buy one from hobby Town USA

Update: its bent like a pretzel at the mounting points too where it broke, I have a 20ton press and a map gas torch, I may give that a try :D
Thanks
-Spence
Bash the tower flat with a hammer and a bit of 4x2 worked for me :) !!
I wish there was a cnc diff case as well that's the most replaced part on my Outcast. Have you seen the pic of Greg's one he was making looks great but had some probs with it so didn't go ahead with it.
IMG_3233.JPG

Bash the tower flat with a hammer and a bit of 4x2 worked for me :) !!
I wish there was a cnc diff case as well that's the most replaced part on my Outcast. Have you seen the pic of Greg's one he was making looks great but had some probs with it so didn't go ahead with it.
View attachment 10212

Aw that is a shame, I would pay anywhere from $30-50$ for one, or more lol, I think steel would be even better, like chromoly steel

Sadly guys I bought a new shock tower, I tried to straighten the old one, but none of the bolt holes lined up to the new bulkhead so yea... Annoying, I just spent $31 on a new shock tower and some 3x20mm screws. Actually total in the rear end rebuild is $63!! Stock A arms, new bulkhead, new shock tower, and an RPM wing mount, I mean do the bulkheads usually break often? I think I lost one due to the destroyed shock tower...

I have not had an issue breaking the bulkhead. I have a couple on hand in case, but with the tower to tower shock brace, the stress from one shock tower is split between both towers, so each bulk head only take half the pressure. Only thing is that a huge crash may have enough force to break both bulkheads, where with out the tower to tower brace only 1 would have been lost.

the diff housings are still a go ....so close to being done the redesign it is going to be great ...i am also doing a couple other things that will improve the cars ...not copy a design and make it ...i am actually putting engineering aspects into the new parts

I had the same problem breaking diff cases ( when I cartwheeled the Keaton) due to the shock tower putting too much stress on the bottom of the tower where it attaches to the diff case. In the end I added bracing to the front and rear towers.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 147
Stock Tower metal is junk, bent the rear every time I landed on the lid. Bought the carbon fiber clone off Ebay and hasn't bent since. I haven't damaged any diff case though. Voltage is now making 7075 aluminum towers, but the CF has a little flex, so I think that's better for the diff case issue.

As far as parts cost, it's far cheaper to buy assembly lots off ebay from various chop shops than to buy any individual parts in baggies. This is why I have so many spare parts. I got a whole front or rear diff assembly with the case and everything for about $30, less than the price of gear set alone.

I had the same problem breaking diff cases ( when I cartwheeled the Keaton) due to the shock tower putting too much stress on the bottom of the tower where it attaches to the diff case. In the end I added bracing to the front and rear towers.
That is awesome!

@JPC what are the rods/tubes you used to make the side shock tower braces shown in the pic? Did you fabricate or are they for some other purpose? Thx!

Ive been bashing and Flipping only thing breaking is body covers.

Upgrade to Hot racing set combo

Diff case x wing mount x sway bar plate cover x Shim your diffs too

Attachments

• 7FC4FAC0-6C04-4C26-83F1-2BABCE5FFC30.jpeg
    7FC4FAC0-6C04-4C26-83F1-2BABCE5FFC30.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 3FFF8F9D-2593-4595-B7DE-CF7280CEB720.jpeg
    3FFF8F9D-2593-4595-B7DE-CF7280CEB720.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 98
  • CDEABD37-13B7-429C-B8CD-77FB370FE78E.jpeg
    CDEABD37-13B7-429C-B8CD-77FB370FE78E.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 74F5D934-693D-4673-8FD0-5906D5165E4E.jpeg
    74F5D934-693D-4673-8FD0-5906D5165E4E.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 5C4A7547-9C56-48A2-8D4C-DC573BF36683.jpeg
    5C4A7547-9C56-48A2-8D4C-DC573BF36683.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 98
Please post on how well that wing mount works out. After a few crashes and cart wheels.

Ive been bashing and Flipping only thing breaking is body covers.

Upgrade to Hot racing set combo

Diff case x wing mount x sway bar plate cover x Shim your diffs too

Nice rig !!! I’m loving the HR diff cases

Right on. I am worried it's not a good thing for me, because it's rigid. Somehow I never broke my stock wing mount, but it bent plenty. And since it's now pretty bendable, it'll never break, but it's old. I think the rigid one, would just get permanently bent, or send the stress down the line to break the next thing.

Right on. I am worried it's not a good thing for me, because it's rigid. Somehow I never broke my stock wing mount, but it bent plenty. And since it's now pretty bendable, it'll never break, but it's old. I think the rigid one, would just get permanently bent, or send the stress down the line to break the next thing.

SO Far i have Not bent or broke it. Knock on wood. Lol. Just carry lots of screws. Lol

I have the same wing mount. I cartwheel the poop out of my truck sometimes. so far its holding up. I think with the HR diff case and the VH shock tower, the rear of that truck is probably close to indestructible

I have the same wing mount. I cartwheel the poop out of my truck sometimes. so far its holding up. I think with the HR diff case and the VH shock tower, the rear of that truck is probably close to indestructible

Yup add Shimmed diffs and it runs super smooth n quiet. Very indestructible.
Just add washers to wing spoiler so it doesn’t pop off and you are golden

My stock wing mount is as crooked as a politician. I currently have the Rpm wing mount and it too is bending. Might have to try the Hot Racing one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back