Granite - Newbie qs - Differences in models

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stimpy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi there, forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere!..

I'm looking at getting my son a Granite. In reality the speed of the brushed option is probably best suited at this stage but the BLX version is also tempting.

My newbie question is: Other than the motors and escs, are there any differences between the 2 options?. IE , does the BLX have any better / stronger parts on it?.

As you may expect, this truck will be for bashing the hell out of :) of which my 7 year old is pretty proficient at!.

Cheers...

Hi there, forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere!..

I'm looking at getting my son a Granite. In reality the speed of the brushed option is probably best suited at this stage but the BLX version is also tempting.

My newbie question is: Other than the motors and escs, are there any differences between the 2 options?. IE , does the BLX have any better / stronger parts on it?.

As you may expect, this truck will be for bashing the hell out of :) of which my 7 year old is pretty proficient at!.

Cheers...

I own the BLX version. From what I've gathered, the Mega and the BLX are nearly identical, as of 2016. The BLX versions used to have far more metal in them than the Mega versions, but that changed last year.

If your son is a newbie driver, you should buy the Granite Mega. The BLX is very fast, probably too fast for a 7 year old.

You can always decide to put a brushless system in the truck later if you want.

2x on getting the brushed version for a 7yo. I have two young kids (just turned 8 and 9) and an older teen. For the young ones, I try to keep the RC they are driving to about 15mph or less. Even with a 20t brushed motor, I have to find ways to 'turn them down'. Most often, I will put a stop behind the trigger. I had some green garden Velcro that I use for the task - a few wraps around the radio grip behind the trigger, and they can only go half throttle.

Edit - my two little ones have been driving hobby grade cars for about 2 years. One (the younger) has decent throttle control, but she still gets excited sometimes and just pins the throttle just to watch the car go crazy. The older (boy) still sees the throttle as binary, and steering as optional... LOL So two years in, and I still need to limit them to slower cars.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps...

My son hasn't been driving long but is pretty proficient - he drives my Outcast too sometimes. That said, I want him limited to 25/30 mph at this stage anyway - saves my ankles and minimises height capability thus damage off jumps!

If the BLX has no upgrades other than the motor & ESC then i'll be buying a Mega without a doubt.

The Granite looks a great truck :). Will read some more on it and find out the weak spots... His Birthday is 6th November so i have a little time yet...

Thanks chaps...

My son hasn't been driving long but is pretty proficient - he drives my Outcast too sometimes. That said, I want him limited to 25/30 mph at this stage anyway - saves my ankles and minimises height capability thus damage off jumps!

If the BLX has no upgrades other than the motor & ESC then i'll be buying a Mega without a doubt.

The Granite looks a great truck :). Will read some more on it and find out the weak spots... His Birthday is 6th November so i have a little time yet...

No problem! I hope your little one enjoys it.

Since new to the hobby, went with Granite Mega to start. Really enjoy running it and it has held up great for me. I have done some upgrades now on it, but highly recommend getting a front bumper first thing. From experience if not you will be stopping and popping on or replacing the front tie rods every time he runs into something. I retrofitted an RPM along with aluminum front body skid plate.

Since new to the hobby, went with Granite Mega to start. Really enjoy running it and it has held up great for me. I have done some upgrades now on it, but highly recommend getting a front bumper first thing. From experience if not you will be stopping and popping on or replacing the front tie rods every time he runs into something. I retrofitted an RPM along with aluminum front body skid plate.

Thanks GaryT. So do they not do a model specific bumper? What was yours off? TIA

Edit - my two little ones have been driving hobby grade cars for about 2 years. One (the younger) has decent throttle control, but she still gets excited sometimes and just pins the throttle just to watch the car go crazy. The older (boy) still sees the throttle as binary, and steering as optional... LOL So two years in, and I still need to limit them to slower cars.

That sucks. My nephew (9) drifts my brushless 2WD around the track like a pro and has yet to break anything. Even the first time I gave him the remote a few months ago he managed to avoid hitting things and was slaloming between trees, unlike me lol.

I think if my little girl went driving with my a bit more, she would get good quick. Two weeks ago, I took all three kids to the local 1/8 offroad track and my girl was tearing around with her 1/16 brushless MT. For about 5 minutes, she was focused on trying to run the track and was doing great. Then she decided cartwheels off the big jump were more fun... Gak... That little MT came home in need of repairs... LOL

stimpy - On the RPM, I got the (#81042 - $ 9.95) Wide Front Bumper that fits Traxxas Stampede 4x4 and had to hack it a little for it to fit and fit the existing ARRMA holes but it worked out good and has taken some hard hits. May check, they may make one now. Everyone recommends the T-Bone ones which make one to fit the Granite I believe, but it was more money. Here is a link to the RPM installed on my Mega. I also got the aluminum skid plate which helps I think.
https://goo.gl/photos/rBm4XxGpYD6cVKv46

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back