Granite Granite Mega 4x4 Brushless Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustygibs

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Has anyone tried installing a blx85 ESC paired with the blx3656 3800kv motor in a Granite Mega 4x4? Looking for recommendations for mild brushless system. I was thinking of a 3800kv with a 17T pinion using 2s 5200 mah 30c battery. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance as I’m still new to the RC hobby.

That's what I run. It drops in like it was made for it ;)

01041813413.jpg

Great! That’s exactly what I was looking for hoping for. Any performance issues?

Rather than saying its a performance problem, it's more like a durability issue. It can handle 2S no problem, but 3S can break the rear input gear. I ripped 2 of them. They're coming out with a heavy duty gear later this month, but if it's junk I'll just mod my own.

I have recently been researching brushless systems and discovered the importance of matched amperage ratings. May want to consider higher C ratings when purchasing Lipo batteries. Esp with brushless set ups that demand more amperage to perform. Will help to prevent your batteries from puffing. There are a lot of good write ups and forum posts on the topic. Its worth some time on Google when buying batteries!

Last edited:
Hoping for some sun this weekend to test and tune this set up. Starting super conservative with the punch turned way down and the top limited to 70% to start. Staying on 2s.

Sidewinder SCT stock pinion.

I’ll report back how it does.
8D75D507-3D72-4B44-B3CD-8128CEC7BF87.jpeg

how many KVA is the castle motor? I see the new Sidewinder SCT ESC has a fan, wish my older model had a fan.
3800kv 4 pole Sensored but the esc isn't sensor compatible. The motor is the real value in that combo. They offer a 5mm shaft and 3.17mm (1/8th) shaft. Running a gensacearespammers 50c battery

3800kv 4 pole Sensored but the esc isn't sensor compatible. The motor is the real value in that combo. They offer a 5mm shaft and 3.17mm (1/8th) shaft. Running a gensacearespammers 50c battery
Way too funny! I have a Castle Momba Monster X combo in my RR10 Bomber. It came with Sensored ESC, but non-sensored motor!?!?! Guess we will have to buy a second truck and a second Castle combo so have best of both worlds and more trucks to rip.

Enjoy

Nice set ups! I just bought the same castle combo. The hobby store recommended double sided tape to mount my esc. It is not holding up. How do you guys mount yours? Thanks

Attachments

• 0119182342.jpg
    0119182342.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 104
I wonder if once double sided tape or velcro tape was in place if could use a zip tie or similar with holes drilled in each end as a strap to go overtop of ESC and secure it using the stock ESC/receiver cover screws to hold in place. Could drill additional holes in top portion of strap to allow for better air flow through if needed for the fan.

I wonder if once double sided tape or velcro tape was in place if could use a zip tie or similar with holes drilled in each end as a strap to go overtop of ESC and secure it using the stock ESC/receiver cover screws to hold in place. Could drill additional holes in top portion of strap to allow for better air flow through if needed for the fan.

That would weaken the zip tie. Even the slightest nic in one could break it. I used the dual lock with the blx200 on my Siren mod & I can pick the whole car up by the ESC :eek:

make sure you prep the surface on the esc and receiver box with some thing like rubbing alchol

(PS, i'm new and also on the traxxas forum, name is X-Maxx)

Rather than saying its a performance problem, it's more like a durability issue. It can handle 2S no problem, but 3S can break the rear input gear. I ripped 2 of them. They're coming out with a heavy duty gear later this month, but if it's junk I'll just mod my own.
hi Megasty im new here and just got granit 4x4 do you know if the heavy duty gear came out yet i'm thinking of installing MMpro and castel 3800kv in the Mega want to run on 3s

hi Megasty im new here and just got granit 4x4 do you know if the heavy duty gear came out yet i'm thinking of installing MMpro and castel 3800kv in the Mega want to run on 3s

Nope, they're resigning it. Hopefully, it will include some metal.

I finished the 3d printed esc mount. It fastens to stock holes in the chassis. The original design had the switch mounted towards the outside of the chassis, but do to clearance problems I had to rotate it. It still works great. I may change the design so the switch is closer to the outside of the chasiss.

Attachments

• 0203182305d.jpg
    0203182305d.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 113
  • 0203182220i.jpg
    0203182220i.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 0203182220d.jpg
    0203182220d.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 0203182304a.jpg
    0203182304a.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 0203182305b.jpg
    0203182305b.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 112
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back