Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Granite Mega 4x4 Brushless Conversion

Discussion in 'Mega 4x4' started by dustygibs, Jan 4, 2018.

1. dustygibs

dustygibs Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Has anyone tried installing a blx85 ESC paired with the blx3656 3800kv motor in a Granite Mega 4x4? Looking for recommendations for mild brushless system. I was thinking of a 3800kv with a 17T pinion using 2s 5200 mah 30c battery. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance as I’m still new to the RC hobby.

Nosedive4130 likes this.
  2. Megasty

Megasty Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite, Kraton, Nero, Outcast, Raider, Senton, Talion, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
    That's what I run. It drops in like it was made for it ;)

01041813413.jpg

Leyland and Nosedive4130 like this.
  3. dustygibs

dustygibs Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Great! That’s exactly what I was looking for hoping for. Any performance issues?

4. Megasty

Arrma RC's:
    Rather than saying its a performance problem, it's more like a durability issue. It can handle 2S no problem, but 3S can break the rear input gear. I ripped 2 of them. They're coming out with a heavy duty gear later this month, but if it's junk I'll just mod my own.

5. Leyland

Leyland Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    4x4-Mega
    I have recently been researching brushless systems and discovered the importance of matched amperage ratings. May want to consider higher C ratings when purchasing Lipo batteries. Esp with brushless set ups that demand more amperage to perform. Will help to prevent your batteries from puffing. There are a lot of good write ups and forum posts on the topic. Its worth some time on Google when buying batteries!

#5 Leyland, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. BlurTheLines

BlurTheLines Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    4x4-Mega
    Hoping for some sun this weekend to test and tune this set up. Starting super conservative with the punch turned way down and the top limited to 70% to start. Staying on 2s.

Sidewinder SCT stock pinion.

I’ll report back how it does.
    8D75D507-3D72-4B44-B3CD-8128CEC7BF87.jpeg

dustygibs and Leyland like this.
  7. Leyland

Leyland Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    4x4-Mega
    how many KVA is the castle motor? I see the new Sidewinder SCT ESC has a fan, wish my older model had a fan.

8. BlurTheLines

BlurTheLines Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    4x4-Mega
    3800kv 4 pole Sensored but the esc isn't sensor compatible. The motor is the real value in that combo. They offer a 5mm shaft and 3.17mm (1/8th) shaft. Running a Gens Ace 50c battery

Leyland likes this.
  9. Leyland

Leyland Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    4x4-Mega
    Way too funny! I have a Castle Momba Monster X combo in my RR10 Bomber. It came with Sensored ESC, but non-sensored motor!?!?! Guess we will have to buy a second truck and a second Castle combo so have best of both worlds and more trucks to rip.

Enjoy

10. Cbl522

Cbl522 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Senton, 4x4-Mega
    Nice set ups! I just bought the same castle combo. The hobby store recommended double sided tape to mount my esc. It is not holding up. How do you guys mount yours? Thanks

Attached Files:

11. Megasty

Arrma RC's:
  12. Leyland

Leyland Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    4x4-Mega
    I wonder if once double sided tape or velcro tape was in place if could use a zip tie or similar with holes drilled in each end as a strap to go overtop of ESC and secure it using the stock ESC/receiver cover screws to hold in place. Could drill additional holes in top portion of strap to allow for better air flow through if needed for the fan.

13. Megasty

Arrma RC's:
    That would weaken the zip tie. Even the slightest nic in one could break it. I used the dual lock with the blx200 on my Siren mod & I can pick the whole car up by the ESC :eek:

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer