Granite Granite 4x4 already broke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that ADS15 was designed for the BLX180 crap-tastic ESC. The one good thing about that ESC was the 7.4v BEC, which made the ADS15 a great servo. on 6.0v, it is slow...

Grab one of the Turnigy servo's I linked above, they are cheap, and run great on 6.0v
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I think I might spring for the Turnigy you linked to, looks like a great option. I guess I'll try to sell the ADS-15M, I had a feeling it wasn't a good choice from the get-go.

If you can't return it, spare servos are handy to have. Having it in the bottom of your toolbox can save a day at the track or bash-lot. Or loan it to a buddy that is having a bad day (I've been on the receiving end of that one, made my day)

Question, if you don’t mind..... when I ran this thing, before it stopped, I ran through a 5000mah 50c Lipo2s. We were ripping around for the full pack. When we were done, you could not touch the motor or the ESC for more than half a second. They were HOT. The battery was cool as a cucumber.
Is that normal?

Indeed a IR thermometer is the best option. Nevertheless if you cannot touch it safely it is getting quite hot!
It make sense the lipo stays cool. The limited amount of amperage which a brushed motor can ask from a lipo does not make it feel warm at all.
Both the esc as the motor did have to work hard, and 5000mAh make long runtimes possible.

From my experience this could mean you might turn the gearing a bit down to lower the temperature.
But I do not know this new ride. The old 1/10 2wd mega got a very hot motor, not so warm Esc and cool lipo.

Well, count me in on the failed stock servo. I've been in contact with Arrma/Hobbico, and they are saying the servo is backordered until middle of January! I believe they are sending me the stock ADS-5 servo instead of the metal-geared ADS-7M that you guys have been sent, despite my direct request for such.

Frustrating to say the least, especially when I've enjoyed the truck so much up to this point.

In the meantime, I've spent another $50 and installed an ADS-15M servo so I can keep driving, on recommendation from my LHS. However, the steering is much slower now than it was originally. I'll start another thread so I don't hijack this one, but I believe I may need a BEC to run this servo.
Sorry to hear that. I'm having so much fun with the Granite (depsite the issues I'm having), I was thinking of picking up a Senton to race with me kid, with hopes the server issue wouldn't be the same with the smaller tires. The ADS-7M they sent out seems to be working out great...too bad they let the supply dwindle.

Two thoughts -

Get a IR thermometer. Above 120f-130f, your fingers are no use. Safe motor ESC temp is 160f, danger is around 180f. I use the $12 pocket thermometer from Harbor Freight.

Yeah, been there. Now try it with a pissed off Talion on 6s in a messy garage. Talk about exciting... LOL
LOL!! I can imagine. I've got an IR left over from my Auto AC days somewhere... I'll dig it out. Thanks!

Count me in on the bad servo issue. I got about 5 minutes on the truck. Thought something might be up as I kept having to recenter the steering. Thought maybe the horn was jumping all over the place. Now I wonder if it's stripped internally or something. The servo locked up on me last night and is non responsive. I have an email out to Arrma (hobbico) waiting for a response.

I did notice that the horn looks like it SHOULD have a pinch screw in there. But looking at how the saver works I wonder if it's supposed to be like that.

avkbtYn-4Pp42ASjrRCtXcPBpR30i9sIVN5ivfcIq9s.jpg

Count me in on the bad servo issue. I got about 5 minutes on the truck. Thought something might be up as I kept having to recenter the steering. Thought maybe the horn was jumping all over the place. Now I wonder if it's stripped internally or something. The servo locked up on me last night and is non responsive. I have an email out to Arrma (hobbico) waiting for a response.

I did notice that the horn looks like it SHOULD have a pinch screw in there. But looking at how the saver works I wonder if it's supposed to be like that.

View attachment 13897
Is sooo clean. ;-)

Go to post #3 and pick up one of those hobbyking servos. And a Kimbrough servo saver. Good to go.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/kimbrough-large-size-servo-saver-with-small-end.html
(make sure you get the right insert for the 25t servo spline)

Yeah, stock servo's often suck.

Here are a few options I have -

Turnigy 1258TG $35 - I am running this in my Typhon. Great servo, decent price.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-1258tg-digital-titanium-gear-servo-57g-13-5kg-10sec.html

Trackstar TS411MG $16 - I have two of these, only mounted one, in a RC10. Other is planned for a M.Rage that I keep saying I will build as a drifter.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackst...course-steering-servo-11-1kg-0-09sec-57g.html

I just noticed the link for my 1258tg now is directed to a TGY-WP23 servo. looks like my servo was discontinued? :(

Sorry to hear that. I'm having so much fun with the Granite (depsite the issues I'm having), I was thinking of picking up a Senton to race with me kid, with hopes the server issue wouldn't be the same with the smaller tires. The ADS-7M they sent out seems to be working out great...too bad they let the supply dwindle.

LOL!! I can imagine. I've got an IR left over from my Auto AC days somewhere... I'll dig it out. Thanks!
So I dropped some batteries in the IR and ran a pack. When depleted, ESC was 138, Battery was 79, motor was 206..... yeah, 206. That is not right. I could smell it burning a leaf that got next to it. I was driving it hard on a short dirt track and some hits on damp grass, so it was working hard, but that’s a scary hot temperature.
2s Lipo, 5000mah, 50C.

Add another broken servo and messed up ESC to this thread. My son just opened his x-mas gift Granite 4x4 and we had both issues. Grinding servo and reverse would stop working. I guess I’ll call Arrma on Tuesday to see if they’ll take care of me. Let’s home my Outcast is in better shape when I unwrap it tomorrow morning.

+1 more to broken servo, My kid is only 10 and has a tendency to not hold on to things very long so I bought him a granite "voltage" the cheapest model I think it is. any ways after about 20 min of run time the servo is bad. Car ran great during that time then al of a sudden he lost stearing. he hit a couple of speed bumps in the parkling lot but the thing didn't launch. does the ads-7 have metal parts? will it fit my current vehicle? I believe the current one is ads-5

+1 more to broken servo, My kid is only 10 and has a tendency to not hold on to things very long so I bought him a granite "voltage" the cheapest model I think it is. any ways after about 20 min of run time the servo is bad. Car ran great during that time then al of a sudden he lost stearing. he hit a couple of speed bumps in the parkling lot but the thing didn't launch. does the ads-7 have metal parts? will it fit my current vehicle? I believe the current one is ads-5
Arrma sent me the ads-7 to replace the servo on my first Mega and it has worked great ever since. It’s a metal geared, drop in replacement.

I lost 3 servo's yesterday all on second run of stock batt. 1 granite and two senton mega 4x4. I had two servo's lock left and one started grinding till unresponsive. All driven on flat asphalt. haven't contactef Arrma yet but in the hunt for replacements. Good luck all.

RTR stock servo's are still the first item to upgrade after the power train!
It is amazing the BLX 1/10 and the 4x4 1/8 BLX series come with a decent servo.

In this price range this is what you get unfortunately.

One thing folks should check is that the servo saver is set up backwards. (The triangle shaped servo cap was facing the wrong direction. Look how sprung open it is in my photo earlier in the thread). It caused the trim to drift and eventually lock sideways which stripped the gears inside.

Was given an ads-7 and replacement servo saver as well.

One thing folks should check is that the servo saver is set up backwards. (The triangle shaped servo cap was facing the wrong direction. Look how sprung open it is in my photo earlier in the thread). It caused the trim to drift and eventually lock sideways which stripped the gears inside.

Was given an ads-7 and replacement servo saver as well.

I think that is the action to save the gears, if the arm is hit hard enough it will twist servo saver before stripping the internal gears. This happened two both my servo that locked left. Once I reset the servo worked but they died again regardless. I ordered 3 ads 7's from tower hobbies and installed them last night. Ran 2 packs of 2s Lipo in the desert today with no issues in my 3 megas.

I am new to RC trucks but I think an important thing I picked up on you tube to help save your steering servo is to set the turn radius or throw. The remote has the steering throw knob set to 100% out of the box and that is way too much. This will cause the servo to keep trying to turn the wheels even after it locks. Bad news for my 8 year old who pins it for 5 min donuts as I bet that would help strip it fast. Turn this knob way back, pin the wheel to full turn on the remote and slowly turn the throw knob back up toward 100% until the wheel stops turning. Dial it back a tad and you should be set. There are YouTube videos on this if you search.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back