Fury BLX Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I got to drive it a few times over the last month or so...
First impression was great, but now I'm getting more and more disappointed in the vehicle...

I only drive on a somewhat rough field of grass near my house as I have to drive after work time and it still gets dark fairly early .

Grass is going to be harder on your SCT than on say a monster truck with much larger tires. Even if the grass is cut short, the stock Fury tires are simply not designed for such terrain. If you want to drive in a grass field I strongly suggest getting a full set of Pro-Line Badlands. Arrma SCT rims frequently go on sale at Tower Hobbies, sometimes for as low as $2.99/pair! Like right now!

02.09.2017-16.43.png

Just some cruising around, no jumping or hard bashing.
It flips over almost every time I try to corner with more than 25-30% throttle.

This is called traction roll. There are ways to alleviate it. Go slower in turns is the most obvious. Suspension tuning can help. Driving on lower traction surface like loose dirt will also reduce the likelihood of traction rolling.

Going over 60-70% of throttle makes it lose all grip and spin out.

This is either the tires have poor grip for the surface, you are overpowering the truck for the level of traction you are running on, or you have too thin oil in the differential and you're "diffing out" under power. I'd suggest rebuilding your differential using 7K CST differential oil.

Out of the 7 or so times I took it out I broke 3 lower front A-arms and popped one of the front shock caps off 4 times (3 of them when I broke the A-arms).

Breakages happen when you hammer these things. ;)

Even though it is pretty cold (5 degrees celcius), I did not expect this much breakage.
What I did notice is that all A-arms broke at the exact same spot, the "eyes" that attach it to the chassis broke right off of the rest of the arms.

The plastic will become more brittle as the temperature drops. If you are close to freezing temps I suggest taking things a bit slower / easier on your truck or invest in a lot of spares!

Managed to get this breakage without even jumping it, just from flipping/rolling when cornering with too much throttle (!)
Now I start getting afraid of actually using or jumping the truck...

I wouldn't shy away from using it. Just be a bit more gentle when it's really cold out. :)

On the roughest parts it is near uncontrollable, bounces everywhere, even my cheap Tamiya DT-03 drives better on those parts than the Fury.

So, I probably won't take it out anymore until the weather gets a lot warmer, see how it handles then...

If your DT-03 is equipped with CVA dampers (oil filled) then those shocks are far superior to the Arrma ones. The DT-03 is much lighter than the Fury so the impacts aren't carrying nearly as much mass. If you're using the typically included "silver can" stock motor in the DT-03, that's a 27T brushed motor. It's easily 1/4 as powerful as the brushless motor in your BLX. So it's really apples and oranges comparison here. Of course the DT-03 will fare better. It's lighter and slower with better shocks!

I'd suggest that you keep running the DT-03 when it's cold out. Rebuild your Fury shocks using 300-350 CST oil in the rear and 400 CST oil in the front. Get the Badlands tires and be a little more gentle with the throttle in the corners.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Took some time to snap some more pictures :)
Not the greatest quality as I only have my phone atm.
View attachment 3500
View attachment 3501
View attachment 3502
View attachment 3503
View attachment 3504
View attachment 3505
Where I had to remove foam to fit my LiPo's:
View attachment 3506
Also, this is what I meant with the huge body post holes:
View attachment 3499
I would be contacting ARRMA about that body looks like a grade school kid put the holes in it. Looks like QC was on vacation for that one

Grass is going to be harder on your SCT than on say a monster truck with much larger tires. Even if the grass is cut short, the stock Fury tires are simply not designed for such terrain. If you want to drive in a grass field I strongly suggest getting a full set of Pro-Line Badlands. Arrma SCT rims frequently go on sale at Tower Hobbies, sometimes for as low as $2.99/pair! Like right now!

02.09.2017-16.43.png
I have some other tyres for the Fury (proline caliber), but am still waiting on my wheels to be delivered

This is called traction roll. There are ways to alleviate it. Go slower in turns is the most obvious. Suspension tuning can help. Driving on lower traction surface like loose dirt will also reduce the likelihood of traction rolling.
I wasn't expecting that much of traction roll with only 30% of throttle, I was actually expecting it to spin out instead of rolling.
Especially as it was on wet grass, so barely any traction anyway with the stock tyres :p

This is either the tires have poor grip for the surface, you are overpowering the truck for the level of traction you are running on, or you have too thin oil in the differential and you're "diffing out" under power. I'd suggest rebuilding your differential using 7K CST differential oil.
Was on wet grass, so probably combination of all heheh

Breakages happen when you hammer these things. ;)
I know, breakages happen, but I didn't even hammer it, just some driving around on the grass at not even close to top speed to prevent the spinning out.
Imho lower A-arms should not break when rolling over from traction rolling...
Can always break one after a lot of rolls, but not 3 times in a row after only a few rolls.
The last broken one was brand new and broke on the first run with it after only a minute or 2

The plastic will become more brittle as the temperature drops. If you are close to freezing temps I suggest taking things a bit slower / easier on your truck or invest in a lot of spares!

I wouldn't shy away from using it. Just be a bit more gentle when it's really cold out. :)
I do know that cold is pretty hard on the plastic, just didn't expect that much of an impact on it :)
Drove a lot in the colder weather in the past, never had that much breakage as I am having with the Fury right now.
And even more gentle? :p

If your DT-03 is equipped with CVA dampers (oil filled) then those shocks are far superior to the Arrma ones. The DT-03 is much lighter than the Fury so the impacts aren't carrying nearly as much mass. If you're using the typically included "silver can" stock motor in the DT-03, that's a 27T brushed motor. It's easily 1/4 as powerful as the brushless motor in your BLX. So it's really apples and oranges comparison here. Of course the DT-03 will fare better. It's lighter and slower with better shocks!
They are the stock simple oil filled dampers, in construction no different from the Arrma Fury shocks.
But are they still that much of an improvement over them?
I do agree the stock shocks are crap though, they feel so weak when mounting them...
Too bad there is no upgraded version from Arrma
The Fury is pretty light also and doesn't feel a lot heavier than my DT-03.
But yes it is heavier, as it has bumpers, bigger body, side bars, heavier wheels etc.
DT-03 doesn't run a stock silver can motor, but still a brushed setup, not sure about the turns of it.
I also still run the stock tyres on the DT-03, rock hard and no inserts :p

I'd suggest that you keep running the DT-03 when it's cold out. Rebuild your Fury shocks using 300-350 CST oil in the rear and 400 CST oil in the front. Get the Badlands tires and be a little more gentle with the throttle in the corners.
Already got some different shock oils to try some different setups.

But first need to get a new set of A-arms, and the screw holding the hinge pin, as that got lost with the part that broke of the arm :(

I have some other tyres for the Fury (proline caliber), but am still waiting on my wheels to be delivered

The Calibers are nice enough but IMHO the lugs are way too small for grass. They will be considerabely better than the stockers though!

IMHO lower A-arms should not break when rolling over from traction rolling...
Can always break one after a lot of rolls, but not 3 times in a row after only a few rolls.
The last broken one was brand new and broke on the first run with it after only a minute or 2

Agreed that shouldn't happen from traction rolling but crazy crap happens all the time. It does sound like your Fury is breaking more than the norm. I launched mine at a local skate park so high that the peak of the jump equaled the height of one of the street lights. I landed it in the grass and the only damage was a snapped rear camber link arm. Seriously you are experiencing a higher than average amount of breakages.

They are the stock simple oil filled dampers, in construction no different from the Arrma Fury shocks. But are they still that much of an improvement over them?

The Tamiya CVAs are different than the junk Arrma uses. The quality of plastics use and the fit/finish level is leagues ahead of the Arrma parts. Also, the Tamiya use a diaphragm where the Arrma do not. In fact, while modest, the Tamiya CVAs are one of the best dampers you can use for bashing. I'm currently trying to sort out how to get a set to the proper length to fit on my Fury.

I do agree the stock shocks are crap though, they feel so weak when mounting them...
Too bad there is no upgraded version from Arrma

Right! Talk about a huge missed opportunity for Arrma. For years Arrma pilots have been complaining about the lack of an upgrade option. There should be a threaded aluminum hop-up. An additional TiNi coated shaft option should also be available. I'm surprised the aftermarket guys haven't brought something to market...

The Fury is pretty light also and doesn't feel a lot heavier than my DT-03.
But yes it is heavier, as it has bumpers, bigger body, side bars, heavier wheels etc.
DT-03 doesn't run a stock silver can motor, but still a brushed setup, not sure about the turns of it.
I also still run the stock tyres on the DT-03, rock hard and no inserts :p

I don't have a DT-03. :( I do have a heavily hopped-up DT-02 that I could weigh along with my Furies to see what the actual weight difference is.

Already got some different shock oils to try some different setups.
But first need to get a new set of A-arms, and the screw holding the hinge pin, as that got lost with the part that broke of the arm :(

You might consider boiling the A-arms for 30 seconds before you install them. This will ensure that the plastic isn't dehydrated which can happen with nylon based plastics. The downside in the cold is that the properly hydrated nylon-based plastic is more susceptible in the cold.

@Skaxis, thanks for all of the tips! :)

I went for the Caliber because I wanted a more allround tire, the grass is mainly when I quickly want to run a pack or want to test something :)
Most of the time I drive more on hard packed dirt.

The breaking is really because of the cold, when it was somewhat warmer I went to a track, had some pretty nasty crashes without any breakage or popped shocks.

I really didn't know those simple Tamiya shocks were that good for bashing :D
Decided to give it a shot and emailed Arrma in regard to the shocks, I'll post their answer here when I get it :)

Will hijack the kitchen scale tonight and weigh both the Fury and the DT-03 :)

Kitchen scales are not calibrated to a proven standard!
So this difference can be the scales...
Although the difference is quite a lot, still just within 10%

But that Tamiya is lightweight!

In the 2013 manual you can find among other the Arrma aluminum upgrade shocks part number...but it has never been released!

As if the 1/8 scalers have Arrma's full attention, the 1/10 models are of no importance!

I agree with @Skaxis that the breakage you endure is above average.

Still I think the 2013 and 2011 models are more sturdy, coming out of the old production facility

Just for comparison's sake here is my TRF 201 (no battery)

02.11.2017-16.02.png

Unusual is correct. My 2013 Fury (AR102411) is far superior in construction quality to the Fury BLS (AR102618) I have as a loaner.

Show us your Absima shocks, once you have them!
Those come from the same factory as my Fastrax shocks.
Affordable en decent, and they have membranes!

Shocks arrived today. As soon I put them into my truck i will report. I ordered 95mm/Rear and 77mm/Front (there was no other option available). Hope they will fit.

How do you determine your springs/preload of the Shocks?

Shocks arrived today. As soon I put them into my truck i will report. I ordered 95mm/Rear and 77mm/Front (there was no other option available). Hope they will fit.

The original front shock is 78mm (pitch), so this might fit even better!
At the time I ordered mine (at Fastrax) there was no 77mm version, only the 75mm.

How do you determine your springs/preload of the Shocks?

The original Arrma springs will fit, and preload clips are suplied (and the original clips fit too). I would start with the original springs.
The Fastrax springs were a tat softer than the original Arrma springs.
From Fastrax you could order different grade springs, which I did.
But still I use the original springs up front. In loose dirt I have softer ones at the back for more traction

So, I got an answer from Arrma:
Hi ,

Thank you for contacting ARRMA. We are sorry to hear that you have had an issue with the shocks on your Fury BLX model.
We currently do not have plans to change the shocks on these models.

I will pass on your suggestion for improved shocks to our R&D department.

Kind regards,

ARRMA HQ

I installed the new Shocks on the rear now. First Impression: much to soft for the fury. I inserted 2 big Clips on each side, which results in a very high preload. that effects, that the spring touches the shock when it is compressed. perhaps i will try the springs from the arrma-Shocks.

I find that the Fastrax Medium spring,coupled with 35wt oil works very well in the rear.

Which color do those springs have?
I have red ones at the rear, which are a tat softer than the stock Arrma's. On loose dirt with 35wt oil good grip!

I installed the new Shocks on the rear now. First Impression: much to soft for the fury. I inserted 2 big Clips on each side, which results in a very high preload. that effects, that the spring touches the shock when it is compressed. perhaps i will try the springs from the arrma-Shocks.

Then mount the Arrma springs as I suggested. On the Fury they are a good start, and nice for bashing!

The Fastrax medium springs are silver,at least they are here in the UK. They are stiffer than the Arrma rear kit springs.

That is the strange thing! ;)
Stock my Fastrax shocks came with a black spring.
I have ordered a set of soft springs and hard springs (the only two options, leaving the black medium?)
Both are colored red! :p

Fastrax_springs_hard.jpg

(By the way, check how the short springs have different windings! And also different material thickness as I measured, thus resulting in a different spring constant = different strength)

Nevertheless the stiffest of those reds are still not as stiff as the stock Arrma's.
As far as I can see those Fastrax shocks are not available in the Netherlands anymore.
And Absima does not offer different springs...

The Finger Test says, the absima springs are stiffer than the arrma's.

But i think the absima shocks have no oil in it. Again the Finger test resulted in a no-damping feeling. Will check this tomorrow.

The Finger Test says, the absima springs are stiffer than the arrma's.

But i think the absima shocks have no oil in it. Again the Finger test resulted in a no-damping feeling. Will check this tomorrow.

I use the "finger" test too! ;)
And just checked it again: there is a stiffness difference between the black springs front and aft.
Aft the stock Fastrax springs are stiffer than the stock Arrma's.
Front is the other way around.

Nevertheless I have springs to play with!

My shocks were properly filled.
But if they come empty, check if they have a membrane.

Just heard the good news a new off-road track will be opened 20 minutes from my home in April!

you say, the membranes will suffer from running dry?

nice to hear the news about your new track. i will visit my local track tomorrow. there is a meeting with the guy from a local offroad club to join them. found a video on youtube which shows the track (just turn off your audio, its a little boy who filmed this and the music and speaking is not my favorite one :p, but my driving would be the same ;))

but the best thing: its round about 200 meters away from my employer :D:D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back