Easiest, cleanest, least dangerous tire removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disturbedfuel15

Geek Extraordinaire!
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I researched all the ways to remove a tire from the rim online, and I have to say I must have found the absolute best way to do it.
  1. get a bucket big enough for your tires/rims to fit in.
  2. pour a 1/2" or so of acetone in to the bucket.
  3. put some kind of spacer in the bottom so the tires/rims don't touch the acetone.
  4. place tires/rims in the bucket, on the spacer, not touching the acetone.
  5. seal the bucket (i used aluminum foil plus a rubber band).
  6. come back 24-48 hrs later with gloves on (acetone is a carcinogen) and remove the tires/rims from the bucket.
  7. remove the tires from the rims
  8. success!
Here is a video my wife filmed, to show you how easy it is to remove the tires after they have been fumigated in the acetone for a couple days.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Last edited:
@WoodiE Check your video codecs, it is an mp4 video. I opened this thread in another browser, where I am not signed in to google or this forum, and it played fine.

Did the oven method cause any kind of smell? I don't have a very good exhaust fan in the apartment I live in. Also, do you have to handle the tires when they are hot, or can you wait until they cool down a bit? I suppose you could use thicker gloves to handle. Seems like another good way as long as it doesn't stink up the place :)

I had good luck with this method but I only had some Ziplock freezer bags. Recently I read you can do this easily with only briefly using a heat gun. Going to try that today, actually...

I researched all the ways to remove a tire from the rim online, and I have to say I must have found the absolute best way to do it.
  1. get a bucket big enough for your tires/rims to fit in.
  2. pour a 1/2" or so of acetone in to the bucket.
  3. put some kind of spacer in the bottom so the tires/rims don't touch the acetone.
  4. place tires/rims in the bucket, on the spacer, not touching the acetone.
  5. seal the bucket (i used aluminum foil plus a rubber band).
  6. come back 24-48 hrs later with gloves on (acetone is a carcinogen) and remove the tires/rims from the bucket.
  7. remove the tires from the rims
  8. success!
Here is a video my wife filmed, to show you how easy it is to remove the tires after they have been fumigated in the acetone for a couple days.

EDIT: CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE VIDEO IS WORKING FOR THEM? WANNA MAKE SURE IT WORKS FOR EVERYBODY. THANKS!

Any questions? Feel free to ask!
played just fine for me

It might have, but I stopped because I thought it was going to damage the foams. Also, one of the tires started to get blistery/bubbly at one little area. My heat gun is a 18 year old POS, though, and is very inconsistent with heat distribution. I already chucked it. I've since acquired some paint cans from Sherwin Williams and have been doing this acetone fume method. FWIW, This paint can method is about 99X better than the Ziplock bags, lol, I just didn't have any cans at the time. I'm going to try the boiling, too, because it seems more efficient and less wasteful...

Great tip man....i tried quickly with just a small 125ml bottle of acetone in a sealed bucket and a small glass jar in bottom to avoid direct contact and after less than 12hrs its already starting to get off almost all around. Awesome!!

I use the fume method as well. Same as OP, I just used rocks as my spacer.

I got a 5 gallon plastic bucket, fill the bottom with a couple of inches of 3-4" rocks (I bought a bag of black river rocks), put about an inch or so of acetone in the bucket and lay tires on the rocks. You can fit a decent amount of tires in the 5 gal. bucket too.
I just store it with all the contents in it and put the lid on, so it's ready for next time.

I tried heat gun method and it was slow and painful, literally (even with thick leather gloves), given how much you you have to handle the tire, I would not recommend it.

Then I tried the oven method, had a window open and a pedestal fan running just in case of fumes from the glue. 300F (150C) and it worked like a charm.

Some people say to turn off the oven as you put the tires in, but if you have fan forced some of them keep the fan running to cool down after turning off so you have to keep it on, I had no problems doing so.

I put the tires on a baking tray, which resulted in the top of the tires being ready before the bottom, it took around 25 minutes to be able to easily peel off the top of the tire, had to flip over and bake for another 15 minutes for the bottom.

Oven mitts were fine at this temperature, though in theory if you think it has been long enough you could wait for them to cool before removing the tire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back