Does the Traxxas law suit mean...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought that a patent was for the original inventor of an idea so other companies couldn't rip it off right away. The lay down shock have been used by several companies over the years including the Schumacher Top Cat, Tamiya Fox, Tamiya Frog and plenty of others. So is it true that you can patent something that has already existed?

Best regards,
Brian
Yes, you can take someone else's idea and patent it as long as no one else has applied for a patent for it.

From what i can see the e revo came out 2008? And Traxxas didnt buy the patent until 2010....
So they really shouldnt be complaining about arrma using similar shocks anyway....

Arrma is really putting a hurt on Traxxas right now, and Traxxas is not happy with someone else stealing their slice of the pie. What is the easiest way to get rid of your competition in today's world? Sue them over stupid crap so they either go bankrupt fighting you or have to pull their products from the shelves.

Well then how in the hell did Traxxas get this patent? Because obviously you can in fact patent someone else's idea because Traxxas has done just that in this cases. And why has their patent not been invalidated for that reason? You would think that that would be the first thing out of Arrma's layer's mouths.

Last edited:
Well then how in the hell did Traxxas get this patent? Because obviously you can in fact patent someone else's idea because Traxxas has done it. And why has their patent not been invalidated for that reason? You would think that that would be the first thing out of Arrma's layer's mouths.
Murica. The patent office there sucks so bad it is like its sole purpose is to create patents that will be fought over in court over prior art or obviousness. Maybe they are funded by patent lawyers.
Edit: first legal battle round is your stuff vs the patent. Then second round is you against patent using prior art or obviousness. If you still have money. Separate cases usually. It is a poopy system.

Just to save some reading for some folks. An abridged version with as little legal mumbo jumbo as possible.

Vehicle Mounted Coil Spring and Shock Assembly.
Arrma, directly or through intermediaries, makes, uses, sells, or offers to sell within the United States, or imports into the United States, remotely controllable model vehicles(the “Arrma Accused Products”), including but not limited to the NERO 6S BLX Monster Truck.

The ’886 Patent claims an “ornamental design for a vehicle mounted coil springand shock assembly, as shown and described,” for example, in Figure 5, reproduced below:49.
The Arrma Accused Products comprise a vehicle-mounted coil spring and shockassembly, as shown in the examples below:
Case 2:16-cv-00768-JRG-RSP Document 8 Filed 08/02/16 Page 11 of 26 PageID #: 209
11-88e4ba8f7e.jpg
11-88e4ba8f7e.jpg
11-88e4ba8f7e.jpg

Rotorcraft With Integrated Light Pipe Support Members
Hobbico, directly or through intermediaries, makes, uses, sells, or offers to sellwithin the United States, or imports into the United States, remotely controllable quadcopters(the “Dromida Accused Products”), including but not limited to the Dromida Vista UAV Droneand the Dromida OMINUS FPV Quad.

Arrma installs, configures, and sells the Arrma Accused Products with distinct components, including but not limited to a steering servo protection system, that are especially made or especially adapted to practice the invention claimed in at least claim 27 of the ’951 Patent.

Arrma Accused Products with distinct components, including but not limited to a Radio Box Set(Part No. AR320248), that are especially made or especially adapted to practice the invention claimed in at least claim 1 of the ’541 Patent.
IE waterproof receiver box.

It baffles me, it truly does .......:wtf:
But so does the whole not standardizing stuff in RC...But that's a whole other story, where Traxxas also isn't playing nice....... :wideyed:
That being said, I don't think Hobbico or Arrma will sink because of this...:)...They just make one hell of a better product, in comparison with Traxxas...

Groetjes, Erik
aka Aflan

Are there any truck's on the market that compare to the Nero/fazon/big rock? Don't suggest a Traxxas ;). I really like the drivetrain of the Nero platform. Is there anything 1/8th scale built as tough?

I own a Kraton v2 and big rock and wondering where I go next if Traxxas wipes out arrma and the Nero line

I was gonna say Kraton, but you have one of those... :)

Best-most-toughest Truggy on the market, Probably Tekno. Put some MT tires on it, and it will be a tougher version of the Kraton.

You know what I don't understand.... How in the heck can they patent a horizontal shock??? A shock is a shock. I mean at what angle does a shock go from being standard too sideways?? If they have a patent on a shock how does everyone other rc vehicle not get sued as well.... They all have shocks.

Because that is the American way, you don't have to make a better product than your competitors you just have to have deeper pockets and better lawyers.

Didn't someone else post a video of their Kraton mounting a slash?

Because the Nero is direct competition for the Revo/Summit. And the same reason they haven't sued any of the other companies that use cantilever suspension.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back