Does anyone race arrma in the pro races or even at local track races?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfield

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Im looking at getting a tryphon and i have a kraton converted to a talion and i wanted to know does anyone race them in the pro races or even at local track races and if not, is there a reason why. Are they not made for racing.

I haven't seen any videos of them online anywhere other than just some people just playing around on a track. I have some local tracks who race 1/8th truggy and buggies so i want to get in. not planning on winning since it would be my first time but just want to compete at least. Just need to know should i be looking for another brand to race or will this brand do. I don't like building a car from scratch but there are rollers of other brands that i do see on the races i have seen that are available.

Most people who wants to race will get the racing sister brand of Arrma, which is Team Durango. They share lots of parts with Arrma models but some parts have more adjustability like other racing brands.

Take note that the Typhon for exemple is a very nice buggy nonetheless, and as most places with local races, it is more about driving skills than the model itself. People do enter local races with Arrma models and they do fine as the others. I suppose that if you want to go pro you would prefer a Team Durango (or any other Racing models).

Most people who wants to race will get the racing sister brand of Arrma, which is Team Durango. They share lots of parts with Arrma models but some parts have more adjustability like other racing brands.

Take note that the Typhon for exemple is a very nice buggy nonetheless, and as most places with local races, it is more about driving skills than the model itself. People do enter local races with Arrma models and they do fine as the others. I suppose that if you want to go pro you would prefer a Team Durango (or any other Racing models).

Ok thanks. thats what i figured. not trying to go pro. i just want to make sure that if i bought one i am actually allowed to race with it and not be held out due to some spec rule or something.

Im looking at getting a tryphon and i have a kraton converted to a talion and i wanted to know does anyone race them in the pro races or even at local track races and if not, is there a reason why. Are they not made for racing.

I haven't seen any videos of them online anywhere other than just some people just playing around on a track. I have some local tracks who race 1/8th truggy and buggies so i want to get in. not planning on winning since it would be my first time but just want to compete at least. Just need to know should i be looking for another brand to race or will this brand do. I don't like building a car from scratch but there are rollers of other brands that i do see on the races i have seen that are available.
I agree with mikuri 100%. I hear durango isnt doing too well on sales though. For the money you'd spend on one i believe theirs better proven options out there to buy. But keep in mind its still a good buggy and some parts swap onto the typhon. A guy at the track had a mugen mbx7? And even that expensive buggy shares parts that the typhon uses as suspension a arms etc. I don't compete on a track but i regularly run against guys on the track. The typhon does quite well considering the price point. Its a very good entry 1/8 buggy and you cant go wrong with it. We love ours!

Hi there, I was racing in Malaysia in open classes with the Kraton and although my driving skills are rather semi I always managed to be under the first 5 places and often enough 1 or 2. of course they also had buggies in these races who wouldn't dare to come near the Kraton in near turns or Jumps because the lighter vehicles don't stand a chance when they collide or touch the Kraton. It would usually continue the race unimpressed while the buggies where tossed around. I must point out that I swapped the stock system against Hobbywing Xerun system (motor and ESC) and the controller to Spektrum dz4 Pro with AVC and swapped the steering servo against Protek high Voltage, high speed, high torque servo. So definitely not stock... ☺️

Hi there, I was racing in Malaysia in open classes with the Kraton and although my driving skills are rather semi I always managed to be under the first 5 places and often enough 1 or 2. of course they also had buggies in these races who wouldn't dare to come near the Kraton in near turns or Jumps because the lighter vehicles don't stand a chance when they collide or touch the Kraton. It would usually continue the race unimpressed while the buggies where tossed around. I must point out that I swapped the stock system against Hobbywing Xerun system (motor and ESC) and the controller to Spektrum dz4 Pro with AVC and swapped the steering servo against Protek high Voltage, high speed, high torque servo. So definitely not stock... ☺️

I was wondering about the guys with buggies. There are some open class races available to me, but the track is really tight. I could see my Kraton just plowing through the traffic in a turn or having a mid air collision that send the buggy flying off course, while the Kraton is unaffected. I could see everyone just saying to let the kraton get a half lap ahead and then they have their own race. Best way to prevent damage. lol

I was wondering about the guys with buggies. There are some open class races available to me, but the track is really tight. I could see my Kraton just plowing through the traffic in a turn or having a mid air collision that send the buggy flying off course, while the Kraton is unaffected. I could see everyone just saying to let the kraton get a half lap ahead and then they have their own race. Best way to prevent damage. lol
Re "open class", my experience is it refers to mods and upgrades, not scale.
The Kraton is 1:8 while most racing is 1:10.

Re "open class", my experience is it refers to mods and upgrades, not scale.
The Kraton is 1:8 while most racing is 1:10.

Gotcha, I know most racing is 1/10, but the buys at the track said they have an "Open" class, where guys run 1/8 stuff, and pretty much anything goes. I can just see it being a demolition derby of RC. The # of steering arms and linkages that would break it a race like that would be nuts. At least if I'm driving in it. All my racing skills come from Grand Tourismo, where, if you drifted just right into the side of a leading car, you could just skip right past them. When I put those skills to use, things are going to break.

Gotcha, I know most racing is 1/10, but the buys at the track said they have an "Open" class, where guys run 1/8 stuff, and pretty much anything goes. I can just see it being a demolition derby of RC. The # of steering arms and linkages that would break it a race like that would be nuts. At least if I'm driving in it. All my racing skills come from Grand Tourismo, where, if you drifted just right into the side of a leading car, you could just skip right past them. When I put those skills to use, things are going to break.
I've seen RC Saylors at some tracks, that by size had to be 1:8. Else a really long 1:10.
I've been on some 1:10 tracks lately and we still bump into each other pretty regular. It's never intentional, the tighter the pack, the higher the intensity and the more fun. We loan parts and help each other in the pits to get racing again.
I'd imagine some tracks have pretty cutthroat races, but I've also heard, there are marshals watching and if you appear to crash into others suspiciously, they'll boot and ban you. And as it should be to me.

Absolutely they should boot anyone for intentional crashes. Too much money in those race buggies to just bash em out. And most of the race cars are not built tough, they are built fast. Ferrari vs Subaru WRX.

Typhon is based on race buggy. So tuning help ofcourse tires, esc set up, camper, aligment, shocks.

In finland we got minimal weight so no need build buggys weak.

Let us know how you did!
Also be kewl to hear what you were up against, brand-wise.
I won't say the "t-word" here.

I run my typhon and Kraton at my local track a lot. Even race it in club races. They will do as good as any RTR, and better than a lot of them. Considering they are just an RTR of the Team Durango cars, they have all the adjustment you need. Full race kits will be lighter, though, and have better shocks.

Three only big downside is tuning help - as a new guy, it is useful to be able to copy other people's setup, but with no TD drivers, that gets tough. Mugen cars are very close, Though.

I run my kraton and talion at my local track against kit cars. I seem to do well getting podium half the time but I have put truggy tires, carbon fiber parts and removed a few items from the kraton so its basic like the talion.

Ill have videos here soon of my talion on the big outdoor 1/8 track at hillside once the season starts in a few weeks. ?
Def need some upgrades though like wheels/tires, servo mount, better servo, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back