Kraton Did some work last night - Pics and my thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So I’ve been down for a bit, then thought I had it fixed and realized It was not. NOW I think I am back up. I will list my recent changes and additions here, and give a quick review or thoughts on each one.

I had stripped the hexes on 2 of the chassis screws and set to get those out last night. I tried with some torx bits, but nothing would grab. So I notched it with a Dremel and used flat blade screw driver. Bam both off quick and easy.

I had rounded out the hex on one of my new Duratrax Six Pack Wheels, and realized the hub was actually the cause, so I went to replace the HUB/HEXes on all 4 corners. Nice tight fit in all the wheels now. - no pics of this because we all know what they look like.

Hot Racing Rear axle carriers. – I had held off on these, for a long time, and was waiting on reports back as to whether or not they just cause more damage up the line. After seeing reports from a couple guys that they were a good part I ordered some, and just put them on. They look awesome, and are machined well. There is very little if any wiggle or play in the hub assembly. Not sure on how they affect me on a big bash, but I have extra rear stock hubs, just in case.

Hot Racing Sway Bar Retainer. – I have been fighting the stock version of this part since I first shimmed my diffs and had to take this thing off. Then I lost one, then the new one got all bent up and the sway bar would always just hang back there. I did get a new rear gearbox, and that one had held well until now. I know some guys run without the sway bars or without one or the other sway bar. I thought I couldn’t tell the difference without the rear swaybar, but when the front came off, it was a whole different car. ME NO LIKEY. So anyway, these are a super easy straight swap part, that fits perfectly, and comes with all mounting hardware and new grub screws. They look good, but more importantly, the Sway bars are now staying in place. The car handles so much better with the sway bar held in place properly.

Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential Brace Gear Cover – I mainly bought this for a bit of Bling, as I no longer run the roll cage in the center. The new body sits too high, for it to be of any use. I did not think this part was going to offer much in the way of benefit, but I think I was wrong on that. On the bottom of the part, there is a very small rim around the edge that aligns the Center diff mount (also the HR upgrade) and the motor mount. It is a no mod drop in part, that could be used with the roll cage assembly as well. I like it.

New T-Bone XV4 Bumper. – I love the look of this beast. The material feels thicker and much stronger than the original T-bone I had. It also protrudes at a much more upright angle. Thus reducing or removing the flip scoop, or shovel effect the BASHER bumpers have. I think I may have received one of the very first of these that were ever produced, if not the first. Unfortunately there was a slight fitting issue, which the boys and girl at T-Bone were able to walk me though. Turns out it was not bent quite enough. They offered to send another one out right away, but it seems like this one will work out. Anyway, I doubt that will be an issue in the future as I took pictures and sent them to T-bone, so they could see where it was wrong. Since it is just a bend, he said he would go make sure the production guys fixed it moving forward. I have not crashed yet, so for now it just looks good. I’ll have to report back later with how well it saved me from whatever I crash into.

Rebuilt the center diff last night too. I noticed I had lost a bunch of diff fluid out of the center diff, and it was coming from the 4 screw holes in that are used to secure the Spur gear to the diff housing. The last time or two, that I went into the differential, I did not use any loctite on those 4 screws. Well that has now been noted as a mistake. Thank goodness I ordered 2 packs of replacement diff gaskets a few back. I thought I would never run out. I just used my last one last night. Anyway, completely cleaned all the gears and made sure all the shims were still in good shape, and that none of the teeth were missing or chipped. Everything looked good, so I put it all back together, and added some 100k and a new diff gasket, then got the thread locker out. All 4 screws set tightly with ample thread locker used. The Hot Racing Diff housing is taking a beating though. Several rocks and a blown center bearing have really scratched it up. But the inside still looks good, so I’m gonna keep on using it. I also swapped out the bearings on the center diff too, I had flaked on doing the diffs last time I ordered some Fast Eddies.

Replaced the stock ESC Fan with another Stock fan. I had noticed, it was not spinning that last time I was out. Turns out the wires pulled out of the fan. Not sure how that happened. Ordered a new one on Ebay, and put it in. I think I may have installed this upside down. The air blows up. Does this matter and if so, how much?

I put the center diff/motor assembly back in and tightened everything down. I grabbed a couple 3S packs and got them strapped in. Now for the moment of truth. Tx ON. Car ON. Slowly pull the trigger. As the wheels start to spin, I listen intently for the slightest sound of anything that may not be in place correctly. Everything sounds good, more trigger, sounds good more trigger, still sounds good…TIME to DRIVE. After about a half mile, of full throttle drag runs, I hadn’t heard anything out of the norm. So over to the dirt. A few small jumps and some heavy drifting, and it was time to go to take the wife to dinner. Car handles awesome and is as fast as it ever was.

I am so happy to have the car back up and running solidly. The last few times out I have just been waiting on something and it was always stupid little things that would go. Now, when it breaks I am going to know what did it.

yeah, well I had the red version of it. Even uglier. The new one is dope though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back