Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Can't unscrew stock arrma mega motor bolt using hex screws

Discussion in 'Granite' started by Ces'tLaVie, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Ces'tLaVie

Ces'tLaVie Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Need some help as I couldn't unscrew the two motor bolts attached to the stock motor of my arrma granite mega using my hex driver. The stock screws are too tight. My motor is a brushed one that's why I need first to disassemble the motor from the body and perform a break-in. I'm new to this hobby that's why I don't know other means to solve this. Please help. Thank you in advance!

2. Bri26

Bri26 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Fury
    Are you using the right size hex driver? I am pretty sure that it is 2mm.

Best regards,
    Brian

Ces'tLaVie likes this.
  3. Ces'tLaVie

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Hi sir,

Yes I'm using a 2mm hex driver. I'm thinking maybe because I bought it as RTR that's why the screws are way too tight from stock. How will I be able to unscrew this sir? Thank you for the reply sir!

4. Alfalfabklyn

Alfalfabklyn Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    Outcast
    If it has lock tight on it which usually it does from factory.what I do is take a hot soldering gun put the tip of soldering gun on the screw for a few minutes it melts the lock tight then try to unscrew it..or put a vise grip tight on the mm driver u using also..Hope all works out for you..

Ces'tLaVie likes this.
  5. Ces'tLaVie

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Hi sir, do rc straight from factory apply lock tight on the screws? If so, maybe I have to apply something hot to the screws to loosen a bit the tightness. I have uploaded the actual hex nut right now. Thank you for the replies!

20170907_080236.jpg

6. Alfalfabklyn

Alfalfabklyn Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    Outcast
    Also if you have a small vise grip you can grip on the hex screw and turn it..or if you have a dremel u can make a line across the hex screw deep enough to use a flat screw driver to unscrew it..

7. Ces'tLaVie

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Will do sir thank you very much!

8. RcDaddy

RcDaddy Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    I had the same issue on my granite. Heating them didn't work and I stripped em. I just used dremel and a regular screwdriver been using them like that ever since. Where ever these arrma vehicles are assembled they loveeeee there loctite!! All 3 arrma I own had same issues!!!

Ces'tLaVie likes this.
  9. Bri26

Bri26 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Fury
    It looks like at least the one screw is stripped out. It's really important that you uses a high quality hex driver or Allen wrench. I recommend the Dynamite hex drivers. As mentioned by the other poster. You shoudl be able to slit the screw and get it out with a flat head screw driver.

Best regards,
    Brian

Ces'tLaVie likes this.
  10. Ces'tLaVie

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Thank you for the replies sir! Will consider all your suggestions. Thank you again!

Regards,
    Ces'tLaVie

11. Permafrost

Permafrost Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    Typhon
    Arrma puts a teaspoon of loctite on those motor mount screws. I was not able to get them loose after 30 minutes of heating with 150W soldering iron, but stripped them instead. Then I put the car upside down on an anvil, making sure that only the motor mount was in contact with it. I then hammered in a torx bit, that was one size too big, into the stripped hex screw, mounted a ratchet on the torx bit and managed to get the screw loose.

Jerry-rigged and Ces'tLaVie like this.
  12. Nietrijker

Nietrijker Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite, Vorteks
    Some hex bits have a somewhat rounded tip, others are more square (note the differences are tiny). I have several different bits, all the same size, just for this purpose, as screws are different shaped on the inside. A rounded tip in a square hex screw will only work if the screw is not very much tightened. When the screw is damaged already, the advice from Permafrost is a very usable one...

Ces'tLaVie likes this.
  13. Ces'tLaVie

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Yes sir hopefully I can fix this tomorrow as I will go to the local hobby store to pickup some body shell and tamiya paints. Thank you very much!

Regards,
    Ces'tLaVie

14. Kenblazer318

Kenblazer318 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    I couldn't get mine off on my Granite BLX either, So I bought a new Red Aluminium one.LOL

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  • Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer