1. Aluminum Nero Rocker Arms GIVEAWAY
    ENTER NOW!!!

Dismiss Notice

Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

BLX80 ESC "exploded"

Discussion in 'Vorteks' started by Nietrijker, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Nietrijker

Nietrijker Supporting Member!
    Supporting Member

Hi all,

My 4 weeks old Vorteks BLX (with BLX80) stopped yesterday after a 5 minutes run. I checked up closely and (luckily) removed the body. I switched it back on and a big flame came out of the ESC. White smoke and a terrible smell filled the back of my car where I was checking the Vorteks. I could pull the power plug easily and quickly, so there was no more (visible) damage than just the ESC (and a smelly interior of my car...).

I have the red type, BLX80. I've heard it can be replaced by the black BLX85. Is this true? Can I still use the same motor? Do I need a separate fan, as the BLX80 has a build-in one and the BLX85 does not seem to have one?

FYI, I'm using a 3S LiPo battery for running the Vorteks. (was a combi package from a local vendor)

Thanks for your feedback and support ;-)

IMG_1969.JPG

2. WoodiE

WoodiE Kind of good admin
    Staff Member

No you do not need to upgrade your motor if you upgrade your ESC.

yz125ryder and Nietrijker like this.
  3. Nietrijker

Supporting Member

thnx WoodiE.

so BLX85 can replace the BLX80? at least it's a slightly cheaper solution ;-)

btw I which I had a video of the ESC explosion ... ;-) Would have been pretty cool to show.

4. lonee

lonee Well-Known Member

In theorie you can replace with any other ESC which can handle the 80 Amps and have the settings what you want.
    My girlfriend use an quickrun in their 1:10SC but just can handle only up to 3S.... (but that is more than enough!)

5. Unusual RC

Unusual RC Moderator
    Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually both the 80 and 85BLX esc. are not rated at 80 Amperes continuesly, but to 60A. I made this mistake too, when I looked for one in my Mega Fury.

This makes any replacement a lot cheaper. Many affordable 60A options available, but mind that you have to check if the Esc. can handle 3S and a 3600kV motor (roughly a 9 to 10 turns brushless motor.

That said, 3S is ridiculous off road in that truck! With 2S you will have as much fun, and better handling. I have both battery types. And even on tarmac I was never able to go flat out on the 3S (because at full speed the car is traveling at 28 meters/ 30 yards a second!

Nietrijker likes this.
  6. mrbelloso

mrbelloso Moderator

Just ask for a warranty replacement of your BLX80 ESC and you should get a new BLX85 ESC.

Nietrijker likes this.
  7. Nietrijker

Supporting Member

Thanks all for your info, tips and suggestions. I've send a mail to the distributor in Belgium. Let's wait and see.

btw the other car (Granite Mega) also didn't came out of this run without any issue: The inner rear bearing is in pieces. Ahh well... we did have a lot of fun that day ;-)

IMG_5943.JPG

And now our hobby continues: repairing our babies... ;-)

yz125ryder likes this.
  8. Unusual RC

Unusual RC Moderator

I do not know how you got the truck.
    But with this company it is better to inform the shop where you bought it...

Anyway, keep us informed about the progress. I had warranty issues in the past, eventually they were handled by Pro-models

9. Nietrijker

Supporting Member

Thnx for the tip, I have the shop in cc of that mail. ;-)

on any progress I'll update this thread.

Unusual RC likes this.
  10. Nietrijker

Supporting Member

Hi all,

Today the replacement BLX85 arrived. Great stuff, but I can't connect the engine: connectors are very loose. Do I need to crimp them in any way? Sorry for this stupid question, but I have never replaced an ESC before ;-) (used to nitro before)

11. lonee

lonee Well-Known Member

Oops, I guess you mean the connectors between ESC and motor?

I think it is better to solder the connectors on the cables. You will need a bigger solder iron.
    I tried also to crimp such connectors but they are not designed therefore.

12. Nietrijker

Supporting Member

It looks like my BLX85 ESC will finally be delivered this week with the correct connectors. After 9 weeks of waiting... Arrma is great, but their distribution partner in Belgium is not. Thanks to the local store I'll at least have something usable!!! They did a great job.

Still waiting for a fitting cover as the replacement they send me was not correct. Originally I have the red/white BLX cover, replacement was the blue Mega cover. Problem is the Mega does have 2 dents in the hood-area. These dents are hitting the front shock tower, so it does not fit unfortunately. But at least I should be able to run the car this weekend.

If this after sales service by the distribution partner in Belgium is the standard for Arrma, I think my next car will not be an Arrma anymore. Spare parts are a nightmare to get. I'm also waiting since Feb for a spare rear shock tower for my Granite. Also "out of stock"...

13. Nietrijker

Supporting Member

Yeah... it's back on the road, or better: off the road.

IMG_2309.JPG

Here you can see it with the new cover. The wheels are a temp solution, as my original's have to be glued again: last run really destroyed the previous glue... ;-))) But these temp wheels are kind-of nice looking. It's now a sort of Monster truck.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted

Users found this page by searching for:

1. arrma esc blx80

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer