BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking around the Internet and found an ESC from graupner that offers the same 180A load capacity (Graupner GM Genius 180A w programer). Can't find it anywhere but tower and looks like they don't have any
While I have had no problem with my ESC I would not have bought the car if I had known the extent of the problem and Arrma's poor solution of sending back the ESC that is likely to fail again.

I had to resort to the real solution. I am replacing my ESC with an aftermarket one.

It isn't a new thing with RTR cars, but it shouldn't be happening after a decade of the same bad practice. Even the Associated 1/8 buggy comes with a junk servo and ESC.

Attachments

• 20160318_191608.jpg
    20160318_191608.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 83
Im liking the max8. Been having good luck with the hobbywing branded esc. Nothing against castle systems i have a few as well.

Ya im just waiting on some overtime at work and im gonna order a good replacement. Hopefully whatever arrma is sending will show up soon. Might just try and sell it. Who knows

I understand what everyone is saying about their experiences with other brands like castle, hobbywing etc. But the graupner is branded as 180A capable as opposed to the 120-40 offer by the others. Knowing little about electrical system, shouldn't this prove more forgiving under load?

In theory yes. I know nothing about it but specs look awesome telemetry HV BEC etc. Go get it and let us know. Lol

In theory yes. I know nothing about it but specs look awesome telemetry HV BEC etc. Go get it and let us know. Lol

I just backordered it. I like that you can change settings right from the equipped radio such as break, throttle etc. Plus the esc is encased in aluminum which is better for heat, and it comes with a programmer. Much better than pushing and waiting for beeps. Will post a review when it arrives. Hopeful, arrma will send me one of there disposal esc to play with until it comes. Hell, my 6s maxamps hasn't even arrived yet and I'm out of commission.

I bet it is a great esc for racers. Very fine tunable. Didnt see if it was WP. Seems to be more well known for boat and heli stuff. Maybe someone on here will chime in with a bit more info on these. Got me curious enough to want to know more.

. Found this not sure if hes having a problem or just playing around. Not sure if the link will go threw may have to cut and paste

Graupner makes top notch stuff. It is a European thing mostly, their stuff is pretty thin to find in the U.S.

I ended up with this:

rx8g2.png

Whered you buy that holder thing next to your ESC?
Its a pain to solder without any help lol

It is a pain. That aluminum soldering jig is a huge help. I bought it off from ebay for like $15, great for bullet connectors with the top holes and the clamp on the side holds every other kind of connectors made.

I used channelock piers with a rubber band on the handles to hold the ESC(I wrapped a rubber band around the ESC body to protect it).

I still could have used another hand, but it worked. :D

Yep, 220 Amp rated. I just soldered up the leads a couple nights ago and will drop it in tonight. Can't wait to run it.
The RX8 is so smooth, especially when you hook it up to a sensored motor... it takes off in sensored mode then switches to sensorless, I have one in my slash 4x4 and it goes like a bat out of hell on a 4 pole 550. It's the best of both worlds... smooth, fast, 220 amps and bullet proof. I've seriously considered dropping it into the Talion, but I'm waiting to see if/when the Arrma electronics go. If the Arrma came as a roller, the RX8 is what I'd be throwing in.

Model: Arrma Typhon BLX 6S BLX

Age of model when problems started:
Within first 6 runs.

Type of driving:
grass, Hard clay track, pavement

Type of battery being used: LiPo 4s and 6s

Description of problem:

intermittent restarts on the ESC and non-responsive throttle with fully charged batteries.

Troubleshooting steps:
  • Powered unit off
  • Swapped batteries
  • Checked for loose connection
  • Checked battery voltage
Actions taken:
Emailed support And shipping esc back.

Ultimate resolution:
Waiting

Very disappointed. Bought that this car to race and season opens this Wednesday and cannot run her. Seems they gave dicontinued this esc. No kidding. Piece o poop.

Model: Arrma KRATON 6S

Age of model when problems started:
Within first 2 runs.

Type of driving:
grass/backyard

Type of battery being used: LiPo 6s

Description of problem:

BLX180 Esc toasted. Also Fried the RX. Replaced RX to test if esc was bad, fried another RX. Weeeeee.

Troubleshooting steps:
Tried everything.

Actions taken:
Called support. Sent in my Esc on 2-12-2016 as per their instructions.

Ultimate resolution:
Nearly 3-months later (today-4-26-16)...got my new esc BLX185 and new Tactic RX. Truck is officially back up and running. Will report on how this new esc performs!

P.S. You better know how to solder because the new esc comes with XT-90 connectors and not deans! I had to change out my plugs on my batteries! Just FYI....

Same thing just happened to mine today, flashing blue light and no throttle but servo works fine.

Back