BLX ESC Issues & Resolutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We know how you feel buddy.. Join the crowd:). I would plug in a different servo and see if that is what failed. If not be patient my electronics were gone for 3 weeks or so.. ARRMA sent me bran new stuff. They are apparently doing what they can to keep us happy.

Are they using this new esc now on their rc's?
Im planning on getting a tallion but i will hold of untill they have this new esc on them

Got my Typhon last week, unboxed it powered it up with a 4s battery and all was good. Put it away for the next morning and now servo doesn't work. Called Arrma they said to send In ESC and servo for evaluation. Was told hopefully the new ESC's will be in stock the end of February early March hopefully. Frustrating having to have a car for a month without being able to have run it due to QC issues. Hopefully Arrma comes through. Car came with version 4 ESC.

Welcome to the forum, @Tillallareone2005. I have personally had a very good experience with Arrma support, and from what I have heard from other members on this forum, they have had a pretty positive experience as well. Yes, it's frustrating to have a part break, especially and ESC or servo, but it's encouraging to know that they will stand behind their products and make sure that you are taken care of.

Welcome to the forum, @Tillallareone2005. I have personally had a very good experience with Arrma support, and from what I have heard from other members on this forum, they have had a pretty positive experience as well. Yes, it's frustrating to have a part break, especially and ESC or servo, but it's encouraging to know that they will stand behind their products and make sure that you are taken care of.
Arrma is standing by their product and taking care of us with replacement parts. Spoke to support late last week and they had no time table for replacement parts yet. I was told to call once a week to see when they might be available.

Well, what a bad start to my relationship with Arrma products. I bought a Granite BLX on Wednesday the 2nd of March, I used it for about an hour that evening. I then took it out the next day on the 3rd and within 10 minutes the ESC caught on fire, flames shooting out everywhere. This was on a 3s Lipo. Thankfully my local hobby shop I bought it from swapped it straight over. I then took my new one out this morning and ran it through one 2s Lipo, (Too scared to use a 3s after last time) for about 40 minutes. I noticed the servo was playing up (read on here about the servo issues as well). So I put it on the table and took the servo out to have a look. I plugged in the battery, a freshly charged 2s Lipo. I started to move the Servo around to try and work out what was going on. I then noticed the motor start to jitter like last time the ESC was about to go and quickly turned the switch off but that was not enough to save it and again, another ESC up in flames.

Start rant: I am absolutely ropeable about this product and I really feel for the rest of you that have had to go through similar problems. I can understand one of them breaking but not 2. This product is unsafe and I am very close to going to the ACCC about it here in Australia unless Arrma can get their business and products sorted. :end rant:

Well, what a bad start to my relationship with Arrma products. I bought a Granite BLX on Wednesday the 2nd of March, I used it for about an hour that evening. I then took it out the next day on the 3rd and within 10 minutes the ESC caught on fire, flames shooting out everywhere. This was on a 3s LiPo. Thankfully my local hobby shop I bought it from swapped it straight over. I then took my new one out this morning and ran it through one 2s LiPo, (Too scared to use a 3s after last time) for about 40 minutes. I noticed the servo was playing up (read on here about the servo issues as well). So I put it on the table and took the servo out to have a look. I plugged in the battery, a freshly charged 2s LiPo. I started to move the Servo around to try and work out what was going on. I then noticed the motor start to jitter like last time the ESC was about to go and quickly turned the switch off but that was not enough to save it and again, another ESC up in flames.

Start rant: I am absolutely ropeable about this product and I really feel for the rest of you that have had to go through similar problems. I can understand one of them breaking but not 2. This product is unsafe and I am very close to going to the ACCC about it here in Australia unless Arrma can get their business and products sorted. :end rant:
I feel your pain, fortunately mine never caught on fire. Just stopped working after I bench tested esc and servo. Sent parts out for replacement still waiting on new ones. I called to see when parts might be arriving but they had no answer. Well they did but said shipments have been delayed because of the Chinese New year....

Model: Arrma Senton BLX 6S BLX

Age of model when problems started:
2 runs total from brand new senton

Type of driving:
grass, mud and blacktop

Type of battery being used: LiPo 6S

Description of problem:

Received my new Senton and promptly charged up my 6s batteries to go have some fun, first 5-10 minutes everything was fine, after that i would get intermittent restarts on the ESC and non-responsive throttle, steering worked fine.

Troubleshooting steps:
  • Powered unit off and let it rest for 10 seconds
  • Swapped batteries
  • Checked for loose connections
Actions taken:
Emailed support and was told to ship unit in for service / replacement

Ultimate resolution:
Waiting for diagnosis from Arrma Support will update when this happens

Model: Arrma Senton BLX 6S BLX

Age of model when problems started:
2 runs total from brand new senton

Type of driving:
grass, mud and blacktop

Type of battery being used: LiPo 6S

Description of problem:

Received my new Senton and promptly charged up my 6s batteries to go have some fun, first 5-10 minutes everything was fine, after that i would get intermittent restarts on the ESC and non-responsive throttle, steering worked fine.

Troubleshooting steps:
  • Powered unit off and let it rest for 10 seconds
  • Swapped batteries
  • Checked for loose connections
Actions taken:
Emailed support and was told to ship unit in for service / replacement

Ultimate resolution:
Waiting for diagnosis from Arrma Support will update when this happens
Great summary, but bad news. I am sorry to hear about it and suspect that it's the ESC.

CC-Cap-Pack-Installation-2.gif

I wonder if this is the reason for blx esc failures?
Has anyone ever tried using this cap packs on their bxl esc?

well...my esc finally died today..2 run after my last january entry.did the same thing as before...but never ran again ,like previous time,only the servo was working.like everyone....been running for 5 to 7 min,came to a stop,and it never rolled again after.veeeeery typical...:(

-4s lipo (twin 2s)
-traxxas to dean connectors
-10 degree (celsius)
- little water puddle,a little bit of slush,0.75 in. stone

-shootout-

not much....i knew what was going on.so....

-off everything,on everything....nothing new

-unplug battery a few time.....same problem again

im calling support for a new blx 185....hope theyre in soon.ive been waiting to run this new truck for months now (october).odds semms to be against me!!:(

called arrma support today.... guess what guys!! theyre not gonna replace our esc with the blx 185 but with the good ol pîece o crap 180....until stock run out and our 2 years limited warranty too. im totally pissed off.:mad::mad::mad:

Well had I known about these ESC situations I would never have purchased this car (arrma talion). I don't have a lot of disposable cash and just bought one on the 11th of March from tower hobbies. It arrived on the 15th and I didn't even finish grading my students papers because I rushed home to get it off the front porch and slap a 4S lipo in it I purchased from a local rc shop. Worked great up until Friday March 18th. I watched white smoke begin pouring from it followed by a blue flame and a pop. I wished it would have happened on a Monday as now I have to wait the entire weekend to vent/answers. I was completely in the dark about the esc issues before purchasing too. What sucks more is that it looks like I could be waiting a while for a decent replacement from this supposedly new line of esc's (BLX 185)... Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have just waited in the backorder line for the Traxxas X Maxx.

Once you change the esc on the talion
Get new bearings nice front bumper
New body new servo

Your still way cheaper then the xmaxx
Xmmax 8 believe is around 800+?

While I have had no problem with my ESC I would not have bought the car if I had known the extent of the problem and Arrma's poor solution of sending back the ESC that is likely to fail again.

I had to resort to the real solution. I am replacing my ESC with an aftermarket one.

It isn't a new thing with RTR cars, but it shouldn't be happening after a decade of the same bad practice. Even the Associated 1/8 buggy comes with a junk servo and ESC.

Really guys ive been waiting 5-6 weeks just to get the same esc back that is gonna last what 10 minutes instead of 5.

Back