Talion Best upgrades for Talion V3?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any part numbers and brands to choose from I'm new to this

Truck is too new, all those parts that woodie listed is not compatible besides the bearings and batteries.

cant wait to see some different bodies
How does the new servo mount go ? Is there much flex ? I’d b interested to c how the new chassis braces go with big jumps. The old design broke easily :)

the only thing you can upgrade is the bearings. everything on the v3 comes upgraded.

... maybe some stiffer springs?

no need flat out corners and goes the stock wheels and tires are really good also have the bad lands makes it to out of control if you want performance in cornering and racing cones

@Voltage Hobbies now has aluminum chassis braces and they're the only ones who make them for the v3. I just got a pair today. And I use a Dynamite cooling fan on my TP motor.

I agree with some of the earlier comments, just enjoy your new rig and upgrade if anything breaks or wears out. With the 2018 V3 upgrades, it sounds like it should be extremely durable. With new 4mm shock shafts, stronger front hubs, stronger bulkheads, beefed up gear bboxes, stronger chassis braces, stiffer servo mount, etc, hopefully most upgrades won't be necessary. However, this depends on the amount of crazy abuse that is possible.

However, upgrading with better quality parts, is usually a good idea and a win in most cases. Possible upgrades for the new 2018 V3 Talion are:

TIRES:
The stock Dboots Katar tires on the aero wheels look like they should be okay without upgrading, as they have been optimized for both onroad speeds up to 70mph and still designed for ultimate offroad forward bite with the aggressive tread. Costwaytoys advised both Katar are made from a slightly harder rubber and expanded a bit at speed and both front tires tires came loose from the rims off on their test drive review, however they said that happens on almost all their vehicles they run 6S on.

However, a good upgrade for other conditions (or just an extra set) is always a good idea, such as a set 3.8" Pro-line Badlands. You can get these pre-mounted on 1/2" offset Desperado wheels or you can mount on a 4.0" truggy dish wheels (such as DE Racing Speedline Plus zero offset in black, Pro-line VTR zero offset, or any 4.0" dish wheel). Keep in mind the Badlands is a bit larger (5.85" tall, 2.72" width) compared to the stock Katar tires (5.75" tall, 2.24" width), so I can't confirm if Badlands tire will rub against the front of the body if tire balloons at all under extreme 6S power when using zero offset wheels? I see some members have the Badlands on zero offset wheels, so should not be a problem? Also some members I believe have even put the Dboots Backflip tires from the Outcast on their Talion, and the Backflips are quite tall at 6.8", and wheels are not offset? The other bonus is upgrading stock tires can give the new Talion more ground clearance.

ALUMINUM UPGRADES:
There are at least 4 companies offering aluminum upgrades for the Talion, I believe? Most of the aluminum parts for the V1 and V2 Talion are interchangeable on the V3 Talion, except for both the front/rear chassis braces, front/rear shock towers and wing mount due to Arrma's 2018 redesign. I see Aussie RC Playground did break the stock front chassis brace on a bad landing in one of his videos, so unless his broken front chassis plae was a fluke or not, it looks like upgrading to aluminum chassis braces is a good upgrade. Since shock towers already come stock in 6061 aluminum, I'm not sure if this would be a big upgrade, except for the bling factor, as most of the aftermarket shock towers look nicer than Arrma's stock towers. However, the aftermarket shock towers do like they have been milled a lot, which should make them lighter than the stock towers? Also most of the aftermarket shock towers have at least 1 more hole than the stock towers for more shock position options. If upgrading your shock towers, 7075 is stronger and lighter than 6061, so this should be a good upgrade, regardless?

1) VOLTAGE HOBBIES: @brh2373 is correct, I contacted them by e-mail and they confirmed they do have the new redesigned front and rear chassis braces for the 2018 V3 Talion. He also said they will be offering newly designed shock towers for the 2018 V3 Talion, hopefully 1st quarter of 2018. Voltage Hobbies uses "high grade 7075" aluminum (especially in parts that take a beating) and also uses some 6061 aluminum, with most is primarily CNC machined, and made in the USA. Both the chassis braces and the shock towers, including upper arm mount and steering rack are all made from the 7075 aluminum. They also make skid plates and an aluminum servo mount in 6061 aluminum. They offer parts in red, natural aluminum, however they may discontinue the black. They are thinking of offering more anodized colors (blue, grey, yellow, green, gunmetal...) If you have any suggestions, maybe contact Voltage Hobbies.

2) GKA CUSTOM RC PARTS: I contacted Greg (located in Canada) for a quick Live chat, but have not heard back from my e-mail I sent earlier, probably due to the XMAS holidays. He has not updated his website yet, but he has some new front/rear aluminum chassis braces already made for the 2018 V3 Talion, and they have been shipped out, he is just waiting for them? I believe his chassis braces will be still be made from "high grade 7075" aluminum, as he used previously on the V1/V2, etc. I'm not sure if Greg has any shock towers planned for the new Talion, but hopefully? Greg also has a servo mount and rear suspension hanger available, both made from 6061 aluminum. Parts are only offered in natural aluminum color.

3) HOT-RACING: I contacted them by e-mail and they advised they should have new front/rear chassis braces and shock towers for the 2018 V3 Talion later this week and stay tuned to their website for pictures and updates. I just checked and these new V3 Talion parts (chassis braces/shock towers) are now up on their website. Although they only use 6061 aluminum, their aluminum parts look fantastic. For looks alone, their aluminum parts are maybe the nicest looking. I really like all the CNC milling they have done to the shock towers and chassis braces, as is looks very high end, especially with the logos, although Hot Racing offers them in black anodizing. Hot Racing does have a lot of other upgrade parts available in aluminum, such as: rear hubs, steering link, gear box, diff case, center diff mount, center diff brace gear cover, pivot ball cups, wheel nuts, motor mount, and a cool looking heat sink/blower fan to keep your brushless motor cool.

4) GPM RACING: I did not receive any reply back regarding aluminum upgrade parts being available for the new 2018 V3 Talion? Hopefully, they will offer some new V3 Talion chassis braces/shock towers for the V3, so we have even more available options. Although they only use 6061 aluminum, their parts look like good and look like a lot of CNC milling to lighten up their parts. GPM does offer many color choices for their aluminum parts: Blue, Black, Green, Grey silver, Orange, Red, and Brown. Some of their aluminum parts may fit the V3 Talion such as; motor mount, servo mount, gear box, front upper arm, lower suspension mount, diif mount, steering assembly, diff case, rear hubs, and front knuckle arms. I don't think their Kraton aluminum A-arms or aluminum turnbuckles will fit the Talion?

Hope the above helps anyone looking to upgrade their 2018 V3 Talion. Please feel free to add anymore information you may have....

Another possible upgrade is RPM products. They claim to use a higher grade nylon material. RPM have rear A-arms, Front Upper & Lower A-arms available, which they claim to be 10% lighter and less slop than stock arms. They also have a Rear Skid Plate (helps protect Arrma's aluminum chassis and slides over obstacles easier), plus they have lightweight mud guards (to protect rear suspension from flying rocks, etc). They only have rear wing mounts for the V1/V2, but possibly they will have the new lower wing mounts for the V3 Talion soon, if RPM is listening.....

Last edited:
Another good upgrade is RPM products. They use a higher grade nylon in their composite materials. RPM have rear A-arms, Front Upper & Lower A-arms available, which they claim to be 10% lighter and less slop than stock arms. They also have a Rear Skid Plate (helps protect Arrma's aluminum chassis and slides over obstacles easier), plus they have lightweight mud guards (to protect rear suspension from flying rocks, etc). They only have rear wing mounts for the V1/V2, but possibly they will have the new lower wing mounts for the V3 Talion soon, if RPM is listening.....
I cannot personally recommend the Rpm wing mount or their front bumper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back