Battery Sound Off! Everyone please post what batteries and charger you use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so i checked out SMC and here's the biggest one they had for only $90!
True Spec Extreme 11.1V 9000mAh 220 Amps/150C.

Is there any reason to not get two of these?
Such as too much power/runtime for kraton and i will likely burn up the esc/motor/diffs?

Thanks again guys

Ok so i checked out SMC and here's the biggest one they had for only $90!
True Spec Extreme 11.1V 9000mAh 220 Amps/150C.

Is there any reason to not get two of these?
Such as too much power/runtime for kraton and i will likely burn up the esc/motor/diffs?

Thanks again guys

I would check to see if two of those behemoths will even fit.

Damn great point.
Survey says, no friggin way.
One of them just fits!
Thanks for saving me a huge pain in the arse Dopeman!

Damn great point.
Survey says, no friggin way.
One of them just fits!
Thanks for saving me a huge pain in the arse Dopeman!
I am not sure how the kraton battery tray is but my outcast battery tray fits 2 of the 3s 7200 mAh stacked on top of each other with only slight modification to the slide to allow it to go up another mm or 2.

Just seeing this thread for the first time today and figured I would reply to the original question. But first thank you to those of you who have already posted here, there is some really great information in this thread.
I have:
2x Turnigy Nano-Tech 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 25-50C softcase (purchased from HobbyKing)
2x Duratrax Onyx 3S 11.1V 5400mAh 50C softcase (like some of the other have already said, I bought the Duratrax kit from TowerHobby)

I am quite impressed with the Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries. The Duratrax Onyx set are ok, but I keep finding more and more posts saying that Duratrax batteries don't really last very long. Which I have experienced first hand. Mine started puffing up after 3 charges, one charge when I got them and two charges after running them. I contacted HobbiCo in January about these and they said that they would send me 2 replacement batteries once they have restocked them, which won't be until the end of March. So I am still waiting to see if and when they send out the replacement batteries. Hopefully the replacements are better and last for a while. Otherwise the Duratrax pack was a real waste of money.

After reading this post and having recently purchased some cheap battery checker/alarms I am now wondering if my Duratrax charger is really working properly or if these battery checkers are just not very good. $11 US for 4x "Readytosky 2 in 1 RC 1-8s Lipo/Li-ion/LiMn/Li-Fe Battery Checker" on amazon. If you search amazon for LIPO alarm you will find that there are multiple companies that all seem to be selling these same checkers, or at least the pictures all look the same. The price was right, but now I am noticing that the Duratrax charger and the Readytocky Checkers are not reading the same voltage from each cell of my batteries.

The Duratrax charger says each cells is:
4.19V, 4.19V, 4.18V Onyx 3S Battery 1
4.19V, 4.19V, 4.19V Onyx 3S Battery 2
4.17V, 4.18V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 3
4.16V, 4.18V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 4

The Readaytosky battery checker says each cell is:
4.14V, 4.20V, 4.11V Onyx 3S Battery 1
4.15V, 4.21V, 4.12V Onyx 3S Battery 2
4.14V, 4.20V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 3
4.13V, 4.20V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 4

I am no certified electrician, but it seems like these two devices should not be ready quite so differently. My real concern is that the Duratrax charger is saying that the cells are all balanced and the Readyaysky checkers are saying that they are not balanced. I could understand if all the number were off but both devices said everything was balanced or not, but one reading almost perfectly balanced and one reading from 0.04V-0.1V out of balance worries me. As I understand LIPO batteries the more out of balance they get the shorter their life span becomes if you run them while they are out of balance. I understand that they will naturally go out of balance while I am use them, but as I understand it this charger should be balancing them while it is charging them also. If the Duratrax charger is not properly balancing them while it is charging my batteries then I need to get a new charger. Does anyone have any thoughts on Low Voltage Monitors and/or Balancing meters? Also after reading some of the other posts I am realizing that the Duratrax charger is very under powered 40W per channel and the 3S batteries that come with it need 63W (4.2V*3*5A) to charge properly. By these numbers it doesn't even have enough power to properly charge my 2S batteries either, they need 42W (4.2V*2*5A) each. Guess it's time to look for a new charger.

While my 4 batteries keeps me running for 30-60 minutes (sorry I have not specifically timed my runs) I have been looking to get some more batteries. I have seen multiple posts and some YouTuber's that say Vant and SMC both make some pretty good batteries. SMC will even install the XT90s that us Nero owners need for an extra $1.50US per battery. The models that I have been looking at run $32-$65US which seems pretty good for 2S 5200mAh or 3S 5200mAh-7600mAh.

Just seeing this thread for the first time today and figured I would reply to the original question. But first thank you to those of you who have already posted here, there is some really great information in this thread.
I have:
2x Turnigy Nano-Tech 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 25-50C softcase (purchased from HobbyKing)
2x Duratrax Onyx 3S 11.1V 5400mAh 50C softcase (like some of the other have already said, I bought the Duratrax kit from TowerHobby)

I am quite impressed with the Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries. The Duratrax Onyx set are ok, but I keep finding more and more posts saying that Duratrax batteries don't really last very long. Which I have experienced first hand. Mine started puffing up after 3 charges, one charge when I got them and two charges after running them. I contacted HobbiCo in January about these and they said that they would send me 2 replacement batteries once they have restocked them, which won't be until the end of March. So I am still waiting to see if and when they send out the replacement batteries. Hopefully the replacements are better and last for a while. Otherwise the Duratrax pack was a real waste of money.

After reading this post and having recently purchased some cheap battery checker/alarms I am now wondering if my Duratrax charger is really working properly or if these battery checkers are just not very good. $11 US for 4x "Readytosky 2 in 1 RC 1-8s Lipo/Li-ion/LiMn/Li-Fe Battery Checker" on amazon. If you search amazon for LIPO alarm you will find that there are multiple companies that all seem to be selling these same checkers, or at least the pictures all look the same. The price was right, but now I am noticing that the Duratrax charger and the Readytocky Checkers are not reading the same voltage from each cell of my batteries.

The Duratrax charger says each cells is:
4.19V, 4.19V, 4.18V Onyx 3S Battery 1
4.19V, 4.19V, 4.19V Onyx 3S Battery 2
4.17V, 4.18V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 3
4.16V, 4.18V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 4

The Readaytosky battery checker says each cell is:
4.14V, 4.20V, 4.11V Onyx 3S Battery 1
4.15V, 4.21V, 4.12V Onyx 3S Battery 2
4.14V, 4.20V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 3
4.13V, 4.20V Nano-Tech 2S Battery 4

I am no certified electrician, but it seems like these two devices should not be ready quite so differently. My real concern is that the Duratrax charger is saying that the cells are all balanced and the Readyaysky checkers are saying that they are not balanced. I could understand if all the number were off but both devices said everything was balanced or not, but one reading almost perfectly balanced and one reading from 0.04V-0.1V out of balance worries me. As I understand LIPO batteries the more out of balance they get the shorter their life span becomes if you run them while they are out of balance. I understand that they will naturally go out of balance while I am use them, but as I understand it this charger should be balancing them while it is charging them also. If the Duratrax charger is not properly balancing them while it is charging my batteries then I need to get a new charger. Does anyone have any thoughts on Low Voltage Monitors and/or Balancing meters? Also after reading some of the other posts I am realizing that the Duratrax charger is very under powered 40W per channel and the 3S batteries that come with it need 63W (4.2V*3*5A) to charge properly. By these numbers it doesn't even have enough power to properly charge my 2S batteries either, they need 42W (4.2V*2*5A) each. Guess it's time to look for a new charger.

While my 4 batteries keeps me running for 30-60 minutes (sorry I have not specifically timed my runs) I have been looking to get some more batteries. I have seen multiple posts and some YouTuber's that say Vant and SMC both make some pretty good batteries. SMC will even install the XT90s that us Nero owners need for an extra $1.50US per battery. The models that I have been looking at run $32-$65US which seems pretty good for 2S 5200mAh or 3S 5200mAh-7600mAh.
I had the same thing with my Low Voltage alarm. It read significantly different than my charger. A cheap multimeter will tell you exactly what voltages you have. My charger was reading correctly.

I would check to see if two of those behemoths will even fit.
They fit in my Big Rock. It's a little tight but they fit. I run the smc 5200mah and they are the exact same physical size. I'm thinking about removing the hard case and shrink wrapping them for some extra clearance.

Edit--> I was looking at the 6000mah battery. The 9000 is a little bigger. FWIW my 5200 still has plenty of length left, it's just tight on width and height. Mostly on the width.

Last edited:
1490172521134832824936.jpg
14901726139291304276105.jpg
I took a 25 year break from RC before getting my Nero. Batteries have changed a lot. I bought Duratrax Onyx LiPo 3S 11.1V 5400mAh 50C Soft Case XT90's from Tower because I had no idea what I was doing and they came with XT90 connectors. They cost $80 each. What batteries are you guys all using? How much did you pay and how happy are you with them?

I bought the Dynamite C2050 Prophet Sport Quad 4 X 100W AC/DC Battery Charger.
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-C2050-Prophet-Battery-Charger/dp/B019HXVI60/
OMG I love this thing. They make a 50W version but it's only $25 cheaper so I figured why not get the 100W.
What charger(s) are you using and what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 149017267061448664403.jpg
    149017267061448664403.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 48
I had the same thing with my Low Voltage alarm. It read significantly different than my charger. A cheap multimeter will tell you exactly what voltages you have. My charger was reading correctly.
slpcrf450x, thank you for the idea of checking with a multimeter. I finally did and it looks like my charger is right and these cheap voltage alarms are junk. Guess I will see if I can return them and get my $10 back.

A cheap multimeter, thats cheap indeed.

A lipo battery tester balancer is the way to go. Hobby King sells them, there are a few clones, who knows what belong to who these days...

A cheap multimeter, thats cheap indeed.

A lipo battery tester balancer is the way to go. Hobby King sells them, there are a few clones, who knows what belong to who these days...
I think you might have misunderstood me. My multimeter is great. It is the 4 pack of battery tester/alarms that were cheap and do not work. Actually today I plugged each of the 4 testers into the same battery and they all showed different voltages for each cell of my 3S pack. Oh well, at least I bought them from Amazon and should be able to return them. I will definitely be looking for a new set of Batter monitors from either Hobby King or Tower Hobbies this week.

2xSmc true spec extreme 6000mah hardware and isdt 920 charger.

SMC is the future and yes they fit.

gensacearespammers 5000mah 3s fits perfect in senton and kraton. Small battery tabs need to be removed from inside tray.

Good description but there are a small mistake,
you calculated with 30c and written 50c. I think the 30 keeps from the calculation before.
5A x 50C = 250A
5A x 30C = 150A...

Do you agree @Aboulafia?

Absolutetly !

I apologize, It's an error when I wrote the thread.
Off course, 50c x 5A = 250A continous outpout

Thanks for that !

Last edited:
You´re wellcome! ;)
Doesn't matter, I just wrote the commend to prevent an irritation of others.
I also do such mistakes or errors if I have the head full of thoughts.
Thats life! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back