1/8 basher decision time HELP ME!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So my son and I have had helion (garbage) and traxxas 2wd slash (great for easy does it but nickel and dimeing us to death) we beat the snot out of everything. I know nothing last for ever but any tips ideas we really are thinking outcast but not sure how I feel about the constant wheelies and shorter wheel base. Just not sure what model to go with.

Is there good parts support for the kraton? Oe and upgrades? I have zero experience with arrma. However most everything I have read says way more reliable than traxxas out the box

Is there good parts support for the kraton?
Just the same as the Outcast, like I said they are essentially the same truck. There are plenty of companies like @Voltage Hobbies and @gregmbrandt from GKA Custom RC that make various aluminum parts for these RC's. Also companies like RPM RC Products, T-Bone Racing, Hot Racing and many others also making upgrade parts.

The forums here are also full of good information and user mods. I've also seen more and more LHS's also carrying more and more Arrma parts. So finding stock or aftermarket parts shouldn't be a huge deal.

As for durability, check out this video from one of our members here of the Kraton doing a triple backflip!

The Kraton is exactly what you are looking for. I could throw in the Senton and that is a pretty bitchin SC truck. However, the Kraton is just flat out beastly. You won't even want to run the Slash once you get it. And don't worry you can wheelie the Kraton plenty and it is much less twitchy. I thik the parts shortage we had is all but over, and there are lots of Mods and aftermarket upgrades available. Problem is, that you will end up needing one for you and one for your kid.

The Kraton is exactly what you are looking for. I could throw in the Senton and that is a pretty bitchin SC truck. However, the Kraton is just flat out beastly. You won't even want to run the Slash once you get it. And don't worry you can wheelie the Kraton plenty and it is much less twitchy. I thik the parts shortage we had is all but over, and there are lots of Mods and aftermarket upgrades available. Problem is, that you will end up needing one for you and one for your kid.
If that's the problem then I am sold. He is quickly out growing his latraxx. Thank you guys. I am curious as to all the talk about shimming the transfer case out of the box. Why is this necessary?

Some say it is not a needed process, some say it is. I say it is needed and helps a ton. Once you go 6S the power being pushed through all these little parts and gears is ridiculous. Any "play" inside the differentials is just asking for gears to shear off or grind. By shimming the diffs, you remove that "play" and reduce the chance of failure. So the bad news is that there are 3 diffs on the Kraton. The good news is that there is a video that shows you step by step how to do it.

The other good news is there are enough differentials to let you kid do 1 or 2 of them, and he gets to learn about the inside of a differential. You will also want to swap out the diff fluid for something a bit thicker. I went 100K in the middle like 60k in the front and 80k in the rear.

Wow I do have to say this is the most Clarity of information that I've gotten out of anything that I've been involved with on the interweb if not for any other reason for this community of support. There's no fan boy there's no BS mine's better than yours crap just like minded people wanting to jump some crazy stuff I like it and thank you very much

I have both the outcast and kraton and I agree with the posts above. I actually bought 2 kratons over time and with $40 in parts I turned 1 of them into an Outcast which my daughter loves. It's a wheelie/ backflip machine, which is fun of you like those but the kraton is more driveable with the slightly longer wheel base and woth 80k in center diff it still wheelies on command as well. The center diff fluid will change how much it will wheelie, if you put 10k fluid in the center diff/ of an Outcast instead of 100k it won't wheelie as much.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either, watch some driving videos on YouTube and pick one, for around $40 you can change your mind later.

Hi guys, like he said you can't go wrong with either one. My beloved Kraton, which I actually consider a Outcast Kraton because it is mostly Outcast Parts on a Kraton Chassis with a Kraton body. That being said I think with the taller side guards, the front mud flaps or deflectors, better battery tray and these badass backflip tires the Outcast actually has some advantages over a Kraton. And for you guys that have the Kraton and that are running stock tires, go buy some backflips or Pro-Line mx38's.

Hi guys, like he said you can't go wrong with either one. My beloved Kraton, which I actually consider a Outcast Kraton because it is mostly Outcast Parts on a Kraton Chassis with a Kraton body. That being said I think with the taller side guards, the front mud flaps or deflectors, better battery tray and these badass backflip tires the Outcast actually has some advantages over a Kraton. And for you guys that have the Kraton and that are running stock tires, go buy some backflips or Pro-Line mx38's.

The backflip tires are awesome, completely different than the stock tires. I put stocks on some when I want to drift a little, the backflips will traction roll if you go to hard but they are my favorites for sure.

were did yo get that body!!!! I love it

Same here. all the Outcast dirt guards, and battery tray, and the back flips. I love the way those back flips sound on the asphalt. Coming to a sliding stop and it sounds like a Semi truck sliding to a stop.

I have both the outcast and kraton and I agree with the posts above. I actually bought 2 kratons over time and with $40 in parts I turned 1 of them into an Outcast which my daughter loves. It's a wheelie/ backflip machine, which is fun of you like those but the kraton is more driveable with the slightly longer wheel base and woth 80k in center diff it still wheelies on command as well. The center diff fluid will change how much it will wheelie, if you put 10k fluid in the center diff/ of an Outcast instead of 100k it won't wheelie as much.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either, watch some driving videos on YouTube and pick one, for around $40 you can change your mind later.
40$ and now it's an out cast? May I ask what parts please sir?

All the parts are interchangeable except the front and rear drive shafts and the chassis. There are some other parts that are different, but they are interchangeable.

All the parts are interchangeable except the front and rear drive shafts and the chassis. There are some other parts that are different, but they are interchangeable.
Well I pulled the trigger and just supported my lhs with the order of an outcast. They had some consern of the kraton due to discontinued parts..... any rumors of it on its way out seeing as it and the outcast share so much?

Well I pulled the trigger and just supported my lhs with the order of an outcast. They had some consern of the kraton due to discontinued parts..... any rumors of it on its way out seeing as it and the outcast share so much?
That's funny I have no issues getting parts for my Kraton and I break stuff almost weekly. You're gonna love your new Arrma absolute best RCS I own and have ever owned

That's not a warm fuzzy feeling I got from reading" break stuff weekly" that's why I am moving away from traxxas.my slash is way tougher after a few hundred dollars in rpm parts and hardened pins. But still handles like crap.

That's not a warm fuzzy feeling I got from reading" break stuff weekly" that's why I am moving away from traxxas.my slash is way tougher after a few hundred dollars in rpm parts and hardened pins. But still handles like crap.
My Traxxas trash breaks almost hourly. I run my trucks 5-15 hrs a days. That's why my Arrmas break almost weekly. With the Arrmas its trivial stuff like landed super hard and broke a rod end. With the trash it's I pulled the trigger too hard and stripped the whole gear train

My Traxxas trash breaks almost hourly. I run my trucks 5-15 hrs a days. That's why my Arrmas break almost weekly. With the Arrmas its trivial stuff like landed super hard and broke a rod end. With the trash it's I pulled the trigger too hard and stripped the whole gear train
5-15 hours a day ! That's tough. I can get 10-20 minutes average with my slash seeing how it's on its lid for 1/3 of that time lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back