What is your RC LiPo of choice in 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20240507_190308.jpg
20240507_190954.jpg
20240507_191005.jpg
20240507_191008.jpg
20240507_191013.jpg
20240507_173802.jpg
20240507_173806.jpg
20240507_173809.jpg

Fedex delivered just before dinner. Numbers seem ok. Hopefully no rain tomorrow. And I'll charge some up.

The 6s Rapids sold out before I even saw them, LOL. For the money, if they even work they're worth it!! $35 a piece?! Crazy!! Hope they work great bro!! I just grabbed a pair of the Turnigy Rapid 4s 8000mah hard case for my K8S, $136 for the pair. I wish they had the new soft pack Rapids in 4s above 6000mah, would have grabbed them in a heartbeat!! Those you have are a new line from what I can tell, I'm sure they won't stay at $35 a piece for long..

My guess is these Rapid soft packs will be at least double the current price once Hobbyking restocks. I signed up for a notification when they come back in. Guess I'll see then..

Last edited:
Morning, yes they are turnigys new basher line of lipos. They are a little lighter and cheaper for us bashers. 10.99 for a 2s had to try.
When I first started getting into Lipo stuff back in 2011, Turnigy was solid for me. Pricing was good too. Then I took a hiatus until around 2015, started buying Zeee batteries cuz they were the cheapest I could find at that time, and they were quite good, 50c was the highest C rating they offered IIRC. Once Zeee started getting popular, prices went up, quality seemed to take a dump.. and C ratings went up too. Funny, I never had an issue from an older 50c Zeee battery keeping up with a stock rig, but Zeee 120C fell flat on their arse in a stock K8S, hitting LVC every time I gave the truck a full throttle hit. They worked fine in a stock Xmaxx for a half dozen cycles before the K8S though.. 🤷‍♂️

I've been struggling to find decent 5S or 7S packs, I recently bought an MCD W5 1/5th scale and ideally I need a 15S configuration.
I really don't want to buy 2x8s packs and perform lipo surgery to drop a cell out.
I figured three 5s packs would be ideal, I can slap them all on a balance board and be done with it.

Turnigy Graphenes were my go-to, but Hobbyking stopped stocking in the UK :(

I've been struggling to find decent 5S or 7S packs, I recently bought an MCD W5 1/5th scale and ideally I need a 15S configuration.
I really don't want to buy 2x8s packs and perform lipo surgery to drop a cell out.
I figured three 5s packs would be ideal, I can slap them all on a balance board and be done with it.

Turnigy Graphenes were my go-to, but Hobbyking stopped stocking in the UK :(
Out of curiosity, is that last cell on 16s that much of a problem? Seems like if it was power concerns, you could just run four 4s packs and dial throttle back a bit, or just run 14s with two 4s and a 6s pack for much cheaper?

Out of curiosity, is that last cell on 16s that much of a problem? Seems like if it was power concerns, you could just run four 4s packs and dial throttle back a bit, or just run 14s with two 4s and a 6s pack for much cheaper?
15S? That is an odd configuration indeed. I see MaxAmps has some, in the neighborhood of $900 a piece?! Whoa nelly!! @Moirae has at least one MCD 1/5, I seem to recall him running 12s?

I couldn't say I'm afraid, MGM advertise their ESC as 15S peak so I can only assume the FETs aren't rated for anything higher than 63v or so.
The accompanying motor is wound to 800-900kv for 15S, my other MCD is running 12S and I'd like to try more power for off-road.
15S? That is an odd configuration indeed. I see MaxAmps has some, in the neighborhood of $900 a piece?! Whoa nelly!! @Moirae has at least one MCD 1/5, I seem to recall him running 12s?
Weirdly enough MGM only advertises 15S capability, but I couldn't imagine the trauma from popping their latest 1000A ESC. I've sold all my cars and only own MCDs, absolutely gorgeous cars which drive like a dream from the box.

I consider batteries to be consumables so $900 is never going to happen lol.

I couldn't say I'm afraid, MGM advertise their ESC as 15S peak so I can only assume the FETs aren't rated for anything higher than 63v or so.
The accompanying motor is wound to 800-900kv for 15S, my other MCD is running 12S and I'd like to try more power for off-road.

Weirdly enough MGM only advertises 15S capability, but I couldn't imagine the trauma from popping their latest 1000A ESC. I've sold all my cars and only own MCDs, absolutely gorgeous cars which drive like a dream from the box.

I can appreciate the ease of wanting three of the same batteries. I know CNHL has some G+ in 5s and larger capacities, you could give them a try. Otherwise, i'd personally be nabbing two 6.2ah 4s turnigy heavy duties and one 6s 6.2ah heavy duty and calling it a day! I've heard some good things about those. Best of luck!

You should ask them if 12s is fine, I seriously doubt it would be a problem but you never know. I can't even imagine running more than 12s tbh. It's bonkers with 12s already. I just crashed my w5 trying to off road speed run :ROFLMAO:

You should ask them if 12s is fine, I seriously doubt it would be a problem but you never know. I can't even imagine running more than 12s tbh. It's bonkers with 12s already. I just crashed my w5 trying to off road speed run :ROFLMAO:

12S is definitely fun, I used to run an MGM & Castle 800kv on 12S since that was the motors limit. Delegated that esc and motor to my MCD XR5 for on-road fun and sold the DBXL-E which it powered.
My brother bought an RR5 (I'm seriously jealous) but it's a fashion faux pas to have two of the same car! So I bought a W5 and I'm finally succumbing to an MGM and Lehner combo.

I suspect I'll go the route @Hector_Fisher mentioned, two 4S and a 6S, 3D print some battery trays maybe, then hope the drivetrain and batteries survive.

Last edited:
That's a good deal, they're $75 each on Amain right now. So $150 for one 6s.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-a...6TrqClgI7h_JHDbnCh6ZN6bco8Ax5DuIaAtMuEALw_wcB

Zeee 6s 5200 120c, 2 for $105.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3836912656...ZQQPDW&hash=item5955c81662:g:6sAAAOSww~diGesU

Or, Zeee 6s 7000 100c, 2 for $152.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3844443403...7DD115&hash=item5982ab1869:g:wkwAAOSwgydkXKwq

These are just quick searches for example. There's plenty of "Ping-Pong" brands with similar, and likely even better pricing than the Zeee's I posted. I don't think there's much, if any difference in Ping-Pong amazon marketplace batteries myself. I just follow the deals and hope to get a flavor I like..

I'm not telling anyone what to use, if Gens is worth it to you, I'm cool with that. Happy bashing brother!! :)🍻
My GTech Advanced 4S 5300mAh batts are $62 each. Cheaper than their 3S ones. Had to warranty one because the chip was NG. The Imars D300 didn’t recognize what it was. Other one was fine.

I have a whole pile of Tekin Graphene 4s LiHV packs in both 6500, and 7700, and I swear by em. There are plenty of decent batteries out there for less money, but I’ve had very good luck with my Tekin stuff. I run Protek LiFE, and LiPo for transmitters, and Rx packs, but have been picking up Tekin in any application I can, and with great success. All in what lets ya sleep at night for sure. Have had good luck with Reedy Rx packs as well. 🍻🤙

I did have to remove the front and back battery blocks so they fit, no big deal excepted that on the outcast 4S battery tray. Stand the 2 2s side by side no issues. Ran 2 sets today all four ran down to 3.75 to 4.25. All cells were with in a .10th of each other and balanced perfectly to 4.20 and tp storage 3.80. Plenty of punch and 20+ minutes of run time.

My GTech Advanced 4S 5300mAh batts are $62 each. Cheaper than their 3S ones. Had to warranty one because the chip was NG. The Imars D300 didn’t recognize what it was. Other one was fine.

I didn’t even know they made those, those are sick for $62! 😮

Back