Kraton Wiring castle external bec on kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceM

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I want to ensure i don't fry anything, since the kraton has the connector with 2 battery ports on it i got a bit confused on the wiring

As of right now i am using a 6s single battery and i have an extension cable with the castle bec connected to the black and red cables, and that is going to the esc

I have the cable bridge on the other battery connector since im only using a single pack

I got confused with this photo https://www.helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=419098&d=1368131374

There should be 2 wires that come off of the esc. Follow them to the first stop connector. Solder the red wire from the Bec to the positive port on the xt90 connector. Solder the black lead to the negative port on the xt90 connector. Don't forget to put the shrink wrap over both the Bec and esc power wire together before you solder the connection. At this location it will not matter wether you are running one or 2 packs. A small tip, if you can, install a jst connector. That way if the Bec fails, you can just unplug it in the future to replace it. The jst connector can be crimped on at a later date.

So I would hook the Bec up to the other side of that xt90 plug. I would also use the esc Bec for your rx power. Use the external Bec for the servo only. Just take a lead from the servo lead to the rx for the signal. If you can't or don't want to make the servo plugs, you can get a rx bypass adapter from Holmes hobbies for a few bucks.

This is how i currently have it https://www.dropbox.com/s/71toz6v6dibirc8/laram2000.jpg?dl=0

Since i have the extension cable with the bec connected to it, that eliminates the need for a jst connector, in the photo i didnt draw the extension but it still shows how everything is minus that
I hooked my BEC up that very same way and fried my esc, DON'T DO IT THAT WAY!!! If you do it like that it has positive on both sides if you run two batteries. I had to learn the hard way, fried my esc and spent $130 for a stock replacement. I re-instaalled my BEC using the two battery wires coming out of my esc, works like a charm and no problems yet running it this way for over seven months now.

https://goo.gl/images/wDfHvg

wDfHvg

Sorry, resurrecting an old thread. With the XT90 loop adapter in place and using a single battery, should we essentially tap the positive and negative as close to the esc as possible when installing a BEC?

As well, I have the Holmes Hobbies Y adaptor...

...but the cc 2.0 BEC has two output leads. One of them needs to go into the harness, and the other I believe can be plugged into the BIND port in the rx. Can anyone who has used both the loop connector and Holmes harness confirm? I am not certain which to plug into the harness vs the rx. I have scoured the forums for Arrma, traxxas, etc. and flyers but can't find a nice easy wiring diagram to confirm. Script Asylum as well does not have the XT90 loop.

Thanks

Sorry, resurrecting an old thread. With the XT90 loop adapter in place and using a single battery, should we essentially tap the positive and negative as close to the esc as possible when installing a BEC?

As well, I have the Holmes Hobbies Y adaptor...

...but the cc 2.0 BEC has two output leads. One of them needs to go into the harness, and the other I believe can be plugged into the BIND port in the rx. Can anyone who has used both the loop connector and Holmes harness confirm? I am not certain which to plug into the harness vs the rx. I have scoured the forums for Arrma, traxxas, etc. and flyers but can't find a nice easy wiring diagram to confirm. Script Asylum as well does not have the XT90 loop.

Thanks
Okay, so here I go with how I wired mine in my kraton. I have a castle BEC installed on mine . You CAN NOT go with a positive and a negative on ONE connector, you CAN however go with a positive on one connector AND a negative on the other connector. If you wire into one connector you won't be able to use two batteries because the short wire that connects the two connectors together runs between positive and negative from two batteries. The loop connector that allows you to run one battery just completes the circuit like a dummy battery so to speak.

RED lead from BEC to POSITIVE side of ESC ( make sure this is the positive wire on esc, not the connector for the battery)
BLACK lead from BEC to NEGATIVE side of ESC (make sure this is the negative wire on esc, not the connector for the battery)
The other end with the flat connector can plug into your "y" harness. If the "y" harness is plugged into your receiver you HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE RED WIRE FROM THE PLUG THAT COMES FROM YOUR ESC!!! The plug from your ESC is plugged into channel 2, it has a red, black and yellow wire in it, DISCONNECT THE RED WIRE HERE AND TAPE IT UP so that it doesn't come into contact with anything and short since it will have power from the ESC. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks so much.

I'm just not sure I understand the second part with the y harness. I had though thought that the HH Y adaptor would allow you to not clip your ESC red wire. In this case the BEC powers the servo only and as below "receiver" plugs into the rx servo port and the ESC wire plugs into the throttle port on the rx. Thanks very much in advance for clarifying.

770a19356d7be73f1b9399696165a7ee.jpg

Awesome, thanks so much.

I'm just not sure I understand the second part with the y harness. I had though thought that the HH Y adaptor would allow you to not clip your ESC red wire. In this case the BEC powers the servo only and as below "receiver" plugs into the rx servo port and the ESC wire plugs into the throttle port on the rx. Thanks very much in advance for clarifying.

770a19356d7be73f1b9399696165a7ee.jpg
Oh, okay, sorry was thinking of a different harness. With this harness you are correct with not having to disconnect the red wire from the ESC. What you want to do is unplug the servo from the receiver, plug the new harness in where the servo was making sure that you plug it in correctly, take note of the colors of the servo plug wires before you unplug it so that you plug the harness into the receiver correctly, plug the servo into the harness. To power this plug the BEC flat plug in to harness making sure black goes to black and red goes to red, if the harness and BEC won't plug in together you will have to remove the black and red wires from the 3 wire flat plug on the BEC, splice the red wire from BEC to red wire on harness and black wire from BEC to black wire on harness. Should be good to go.

Last edited:
Excellent... appreciated. I always find when I'm dealing with wiring and and in particular a Bec I always like having a confirmation that I'm not going to fry my ESC.

Excellent... appreciated. I always find when I'm dealing with wiring and and in particular a Bec I always like having a confirmation that I'm not going to fry my ESC.
First one I wired into my kraton cost me $140 for a new ESC because I did just that, poof, magic smoke cloud and toasted ESC.........LOL. Wired it in to one plug not thinking about the two plugs connected together between positive and negative on one side, had positive on both wires going into the BEC, plugged it in receiver, plugged in batteries and poof.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back