Infraction Racing the infraction 6s asphalt oval.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer X

Reaction score
I got over to the big asphalt oval track to help with cleanup and to drive my infraction for the first time.

Just a background Saturday night there is a race on a big outdoor asphalt track called Storm Steel.
They race a number of classes and one is 1/7 GT.

So I prepared my truck.
I got a used body so I repainted that. See Rig of the month contest for March.

I also upgraded the steering servo to a reefs 444. Added metal chassis braces and went with two 3 s Spektrum smart batteries.

I took the rig up and down the street and then took it to the track.
I tried to drive normal and race around. But there was no one else on the track so I punched it and basically drifted for about ten laps and boiled the right rear tire.

I did put it in the scale and set it up somewhat but I have no clue. Obviously could use some tweeting. But this this is so much fun to drift and slide. Totally controllable and fun.

So I got that out of my system. Now on to the racing.

The body is to heavy. Lights and seven coats of paint are not great.

Tires are to hard Dbolt Hoons gotta go.
Going with Sweeps or GRP. See what the others are using.

Way too much power. Most people said the run 3-4 so. No one uses 6s so I’ll try 3 s for the first race. I can always buy two 2 s packs or one 4s pack. But for the first race I figure 3 s will be fine.

Race is in ten two weeks so I gotta make some adjustments.

First I need a light weight Lexan body. Probably a truck. They have better down horse up front and not as much at the rear.

Lower the chassis with the limit screws.

Replace the Hoons.

Readjust the corner weights with one 3s battery and set it with a left turn bias.

I won’t get any practice between now and then. But it will be OK. It’s going to be my second race on that track. My goal is not to take out the field in turn one then see how it goes from there.

IMG_5591.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

IMG_5397.jpeg

IMG_5451.jpeg

IMG_5436.jpeg

This is a quick video of the track. I drove about ten minutes and then walked up to the corner ask someone to video it.
Driving from the corner messed up my timing going into the corner. I suck but not this bad.

On 6s That should be an absolute drift fest. you can always try turning the power down you don’t have to run 6S on 100%.

On 6s That should be an absolute drift fest. you can always try turning the power down you don’t have to run 6S on 100%.
Ya I was thinking about that . Oval racing is better full throttle. So if the 3 s is just not competitive I’ll find out right away.
Then I’ll try turning down the 6s. I am using a Dx5 pro so I can play with expo also. It’s all theory till the flag drops.

Can’t wait to run this thing.

Thanks I did not do that I bought a roller and this body came with it . I painted it but the sunroof was someone else’s idea. The side window is also open so it has good ventilation.
Holy crap you're right. Don't know how I saw the sunroof but completely missed the big ol cut out windows lol.

mr magoo GIF

Last night I picked up a new body. I was kinda looking for a GT type thing and was trying to work out a paint scheme and stickers.
For 109 I got this pre painted pre stickerd pre cut body that fit perfectly. I had to do a tiny bit of trimming in the rear splitter and that now fits perfect.

I have fender liners and air guards and this body pushes down on them and make a very nice snug fit that does not rattle at all.

I also got some Sweep GT tires. I removed the right side battery so it’s a 3 s rig and I Readjusted the springs to get the balance .
The body is 400 grams or half pound lighter than the yellow one. And removing the battery should help.

Now it will sit till May 11 for the first race. Saturday under the lights Cedar Rapids Iowa.

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5616.jpeg

Man, it looks good.

Last night I picked up a new body. I was kinda looking for a GT type thing and was trying to work out a paint scheme and stickers.
For 109 I got this pre painted pre stickerd pre cut body that fit perfectly. I had to do a tiny bit of trimming in the rear splitter and that now fits perfect.

I have fender liners and air guards and this body pushes down on them and make a very nice snug fit that does not rattle at all.

I also got some Sweep GT tires. I removed the right side battery so it’s a 3 s rig and I Readjusted the springs to get the balance .
The body is 400 grams or half pound lighter than the yellow one. And removing the battery should help.

Now it will sit till May 11 for the first race. Saturday under the lights Cedar Rapids Iowa.

View attachment 363922

View attachment 363924

View attachment 363926
That's a good looker right there.

@Racer X Hey, looking good and getting it there...

Finding the right tires for your rig is work—I certainly know that with my Infraction. Also, the temperature of the asphalt—when the two come together with the right tire compound and ground—is a sweet, sticky mix! GRPs have a wider range of compounds to experiment with.

I feel you can still do it on 6S...some call it cheating, but I don't care. AVC works well for me when I want to oval around a parking lot island. I can modify the 3-AVC settings to kill throttle to the right setting (number) so I can hold that drift and still dial how much control I want to have for steering. How it goes wild trying to get it straight. The AVC head-holding function puts the rig in a straight line until my next turn. I just have to come out the drift at the right point and let the knob go center....straight she goes...

I'm just RC's for fun...no $$$ in it to win, so this senior will take the extra assistance :LOL:

@Racer X Hey, looking good and getting it there...

Finding the right tires for your rig is work—I certainly know that with my Infraction. Also, the temperature of the asphalt—when the two come together with the right tire compound and ground—is a sweet, sticky mix! GRPs have a wider range of compounds to experiment with.

I feel you can still do it on 6S...some call it cheating, but I don't care. AVC works well for me when I want to oval around a parking lot island. I can modify the 3-AVC settings to kill throttle to the right setting (number) so I can hold that drift and still dial how much control I want to have for steering. How it goes wild trying to get it straight. The AVC head-holding function puts the rig in a straight line until my next turn. I just have to come out the drift at the right point and let the knob go center....straight she goes...

I'm just RC's for fun...no $$$ in it to win, so this senior will take the extra assistance :LOL:
Thank you
I am just learning about temperature. The tires I am starting with Sweeps are temp rated at 55. That’s is the hottest and we are racing in the summer.

I don’t think I will be allowed to use AVC.
And the track is actually kinda short . But we will see.

The Infraction did pretty well. I ran the first two heats on 3 s and it was good. They put me in the 1/8 GT class.
They are all real road cars with 4 s batteries. I did not crash so I ended up fifth place going into the main event. So I made the A main.
In the main event I switched to 6s and turned the power down to 75%. This was done quickly with the throttle travel. Still 6s power and it made the truck slippery. I probably should not run the truck body as it has bad down force compared to a car body.
I managed a third place on the podium.

IMG_5688.jpeg

Back