Ok AF? What am I looking at? Chinese POS? Or?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know for a fact that you cannot get the same torque on a Phillips head fastener as you can a hex head. Could you imagine if Arrma used phillips head hardware on their cars you would never be able to get them apart as the damn screws round out 90% of the time with hex hardware when you try to remove them. Phillips would be 100% of the time.
Agreed.

As far as usability, I prefer HEX. As far as torque and Arrma, if they didn't bathe each bolt in Loctite no one would have stripped hex issues IMO. As far as in general, if a bolt/fastener, Phillips or HEX, Flat head or TORX is torqued properly, there is zero difference other than its looks.

Boy, Phillips head screws get a bad rap here.
That’s because they are terrible.
Agreed, if it’s torqued down to spec, it's the same poop. Just a matter of looks and obsessively focusing on that ugly Phillips head. :ROFLMAO:
Who in the living hell has ever “torqued” a Phillips head fastener to spec? Nobody. Ever. In the history of tools. And @Reverendg , I agree that a good #2 Phillips head screw is tough to beat in certain situations (and please use those proper Vessel drivers) but that’s not what we’re talking about here in regard to this hobby. We’re talking about tiny little guys with impossibly small heads that are for some reason always made of soft stainless steel with “cheese head” heads on them. They are clearly of the devil. As a reverend you should be aware of this, as the 11th Commandment clearly states, “thou shalt not utitilize tiny little stainless steel cheesehead phillips fasteners in thous RC applications.”

I know for a fact that you cannot get the same torque on a Phillips head fastener as you can a hex head. Could you imagine if Arrma used phillips head hardware on their cars you would never be able to get the damn things apart.
Exactly. Some folks just wanna argue about stupid shitt, then be all smug when the other party decides is not worth their time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s because they are terrible.

Who in the living hell has ever “torqued” a Phillips head fastener to spec?

Who the hell torques down a RC HEX to spec? My statement was in general and still stands. No difference in how something is going to operate with ANY head screw.

I have more time turning wrenches than you have on earth. On machinery much more expensive, much more dangerous, much more sophisticated, and much more expensive that your toy car. If you can’t understand when someone smarter and more experienced gives you real world advice, then you didn’t bump your head, you were born without a brain.
Tell whoever is reading this to you that I am done with you.
And it’s obviously taught you not a goddamned thing.

And two-you are assuming A LOT fella. I don’t need to read you my resume, you’re arguing that a completely outdated fastener is more capable than those that replaced it. You wanna be an a$$hole; go for it. I won’t loose a wink of sleep over it pal.

Who the hell torques down a RC HEX to spec? My statement was in general and still stands. No difference in how something is going to operate with ANY head screw.

Have you ever wondered why these cars that come with Phillips hardware still use hex screws to secure the motors?

I know for a fact that you cannot get the same torque on a Phillips head fastener as you can a hex head. Could you imagine if Arrma used phillips head hardware on their cars you would never be able to get the damn things apart.
And if your are trying to put that much torque where that fastener is being used, you are over-torquing. Amazing how that works. Manufacturers often use them for that very reason.

And it’s obviously taught you not a goddamned thing.

And two-you are assuming A LOT fella. I don’t need to read you my resume, you’re arguing that a completely outdated fastener is more capable than those that replaced it. You wanna be an a$$hole; go for it. I won’t loose a wink of sleep over it pal.
I am assuming nothing. Your answers make your lack of intelligence readily apparent. Phillips are not outdated at all, they are quite good for the purpose they serve. One of them being stopping idiots like you from over-torquing things, leading to stripped threads in the mechanics, which you then female dog to the company about, when it was you being an idiot that did the damage.

It’s not how it’s gonna OPERATE; it’s how it’s gonna be SERVICED… You’ve got the blinders on-as you continue to state over, and over in each reply.. There’s no telling you anything-as you have so eloquently made abundantly clear. You JUST replied to a motor mount thread only DAYS AGO to help a fellow member out with the very issue @slick2500 is pointing out. You understood the concept THEN, when you recommended “LOTS OF HEAT”, and a “GOOD HEX DRIVER”… Now all you care about is being smug, condescending, and flat out WRONG. 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️

And if your are trying to put that much torque where that fastener is being used, you are over-torquing. Amazing how that works. Manufacturers often use them for that very reason.
Phillips head screws will never hold an rc motor in place because you cannot apply enough torque to the screw. I learned this lesson on my Stampede. The stock motor screws were phillips and never stayed in place replaced them with hex and the issue with the motor moving went away imagine that. Also you need to be able to apply a certain amount of torque to remove said screws and if the factory over torqued them or caked them in their mystery thread lock substance you will struggle to remove them.

You will never convince me that Phillips head screws are the same as hex. I've been in this hobby long enough to absolutely despise the fiddlesticking things, if I get a car that has them they immediately get replace with hex. Phillips screws belong in the trash can right next to flat head screws.

1715530019716.png

Last edited:
Proving my point with every reply…🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

YES. Because they will strip. DUE TO “CAM OUT”. Because they are an inferior head design! I don’t give a shitt if you’re a robot with a Swiss made #2 bit; you service a Phillips screw, 30 times, and it’s gonna degrade about 100 times faster than the same exact fastener with a HEX. Furthermore; this is (as you put it) a TOY CAR. 70% or better of the potential owners aren’t going to have a gazillion years experience, above average mechanical aptitude, or a hell of a lot of common sense. A HEX head allows for QUITE A BIT more room for error. So again; Phillips hardware doesn’t belong in ANY scale surface vehicle that is going to be serviced on a regular basis. I apologize for the slow response time-I had to have someone type this out for me just after they read me yours. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

It’s not how it’s gonna OPERATE; it’s how it’s gonna be SERVICED… You’ve got the blinders on-as you continue to state over, and over in each reply.. There’s no telling you anything-as you have so eloquently made abundantly clear. You JUST replied to a motor mount thread only DAYS AGO to help a fellow member out with the very issue @slick2500 is pointing out. You understood the concept THEN, when you recommended “LOTS OF HEAT”, and a “GOOD HEX DRIVER”… Now all you care about is being smug, condescending, and flat out WRONG. 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
Absolutely not!

The thread I replied to was about Loctite and how he can't get that screw out of his mount. Loctite Mo, Loctite! Try and follow along, son.

What I typed I stand by! Apply heat and use a good hex tool. It's the only way to get it out so far. THEN once it does get stripped out, you grind in a nice SLOT head don't ya Mo? Yes you do! Then we goin back to caveman like drum brakes, right?

Serviced? :LOL:Based off your genius reply, when we "service" our RC's, that's when HEXES get striped out, due to too much Loctite and over torquing.

Phillips head screws will never hold an rc motor in place because you cannot apply enough torque to the screw. I learned this lesson on my Stampede. The stock motor screws were phillips and never stayed in place replaced them with hex and the issue with the motor moving went away imagine that. Also you need to be able to apply a certain amount of torque to remove said screws and if they factory over torqued them or caked them in their mystery thread lock substance you will struggle to remove them.

You will never convince me that Phillips head screws are the same as hex. I've been in this hobby long enough to absolutely despise the fiddlesticking things, if I get a car that has them they immediately get replace with hex. Phillips screws belong in the trash can right next to flat head screws.

View attachment 366101

I personally can't stand Phillips heads either. However, if you grab a RC car right now and replace a few bolts with a Phillips head to the same specs, car still drives the same. If you replace Phillips heads on a cheap RC with HEX, it still drives the same too. Thats my point.

Last edited:
That’s actually a fair observation. Nobody. Ever. 😂
I am assuming nothing. Your answers make your lack of intelligence readily apparent. Phillips are not outdated at all, they are quite good for the purpose they serve. One of them being stopping idiots like you from over-torquing things, leading to stripped threads in the mechanics, which you then female dog to the company about, when it was you being an idiot that did the damage.
I’m bowing out of this conversation, as the argument is just silly at this point. I do however appreciate your overt animosity as it somewhat deflects memory from me being such a grumpy bastard the last couple of days. So thanks for that. And seriously, are you really a reverend?

I can guarantee this is not how you have a discussion in person.

View attachment 366105

View attachment 366106
Wrong again.It seems you are on a roll. Why would I not tell someone the truth?
Heck, my work partner was a guy nobody would work with. When I started at this plant, all the guys warned me I would not last a week working with him. 14 years ago. When they ask how I have stayed his partner, it’s simple. I have seniority on him. If he wants to do something the hard way, I let him. I won’t help though. When he gets mad and bitches, I tell him so. Then he says “you think you got better idea”, and I say “Yes”. It’s that easy. Having seniority just makes it easier to justify not helping him do it the hard way.
And he is no dummy either. Just a bit hard-headed at times.
You are just not competent.

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

Will you 2 either take it to pms or shut the fiddlestick up.
Got it. I am done.

That’s actually a fair observation. Nobody. Ever. 😂

I’m bowing out of this conversation, as the argument is just silly at this point. I do however appreciate your overt animosity as it somewhat deflects memory from me being such a grumpy bastard the last couple of days. So thanks for that. And seriously, are you really a reverend?
Legally, yes.
I do not have a ministry or church. I have ministered when asked.

Back