Outcast Castle Creations Copper-go-ahead or copperheckno?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamwins

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Typhon TLR
So maybe I’m not looking in the right places for performance specs on Castle Products or I need a decoder ring and glasses to find em. But I was looking for a decent ESC for my outcast 4s fire restoration build and came across the copperhead 10 and thought 💭 “hey this is cheap enough and might work”. I got it in the mail and was a little bit confused if I should put it in my Grom or if it will even work in the outcast. It’s the size of a tic tac box and light as can be. I’m still not super familiar with the plethora of ESCs out there so perhaps someone can tell me if I should Grom this thing or will I be surprised to find it will work well in the outcast. Which I figured I’d put this spare TP 4040-4590kv motor in 🤷‍♂️. I’m a little skeptical and don’t really want another lipo fire to contend with if I can avoid it. Thanks y’all.

IMG_6210.jpeg

The Copperhead10 is a great ESC in the right application. Unfortunately Castle doesn't release amp ratings for their ESCs like most other manufacturers. They provide weight ratings and lipo capabilities of the their ESCs to help you decide if it's the right ESC for you. Geared conservatively, it might be fine in your Outcast. Monitor Temps & run fans for sure. Only way to truly know if it'll work is to just go for it. I don't think you'll have to worry about another fire...worst case scenario the ESC will just go into thermal shutdown. 🍻

I can tell just from the picture above this is probably an undersized ESC for your application. That motor will eat the copperhead alive with the weight of your truck. I assume your aluminum trans case isn't the only added upgrade weight. With that motor you really wanna look at Mamba Monster X or Cobra at the very least, if not MMX8s assuming you wanna stay in Castle.

I can tell just from the picture above this is probably an undersized ESC for your application. That motor will eat the copperhead alive with the weight of your truck. I assume your aluminum trans case isn't the only added upgrade weight. With that motor you really wanna look at Mamba Monster X or Cobra at the very least, if not MMX8s assuming you wanna stay in Castle.
Thanks Im thinking i will give the new cobra 8 a try. See what that's all about. price point seems reasonable enough to give her a go. I appreciate the advice. cheers

What battery do you plan on running with the 4500kv motor?
I was thinking something reputable such as Duracell or Energizer? Series/Parallel (2500 parallel groups of 10 in series) which should give me 15v & 5000ah? jk.. most likely a GenAce (4s).

I was thinking something reputable such as Duracell or Energizer? Series/Parallel (2500 parallel groups of 10 in series) which should give me 15v & 5000ah? jk.. most likely a GenAce (4s).
Get that pink bunny power!! 4s on 4500kv is quite high but maybe you know this already?

12AWG ESC to the battery and 10AWG into the motor is a huge red flag.

That motor is 13V max btw and will pull 150A continuous under 3S load 🔥

You'll be able to fry an egg on that motor lol
burning the it crowd GIF

Kinda funny that he said this is a fire restoration build and then wants to do 4500kv on 4s!!

@adamwins not trying to be a prick here by the way, just saying that motor is not meant for 4s. Almost twice as much kv as you should have. Arrma 4s motors are 2400kv

Get that pink bunny power!! 4s on 4500kv is quite high but maybe you know this already?
Good catch- yeah, that is rather high, So a 3s GenAce 15000mAh is what i have in mind unless you or anyone can recommend something more ideal. The TP 4040 4590kv motor is 13v Max.

burning the it crowd GIF

Kinda funny that he said this is a fire restoration build and then wants to do 4500kv on 4s!!

@adamwins not trying to be a prick here by the way, just saying that motor is not meant for 4s. Almost twice as much kv as you should have. Arrma 4s motors are 2400kv
Agree that is ironic, 3s would be a better fit. and its a 13awg on the copperhead battery leads btw @Garcbomber. What do you guys think for a sensored esc?. Cobra 8 or The MMX? i cant find what size wiring goes in and out of either of those 2 ESC's, apparently thats also castle classifed info. I would rather hard solder the motor leads to esc rather than use connectors if possible. As for the Fire restoration the cause was a punctured battery while i was working on it in the garage, i think the top speed of that truck was reached when i threw it out the side door of the garage before it combusted.

Back